Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition  (Read 63698 times)

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:47:32 pm »

We've got dfterm up!  Running and tweaking the setup right now.   Overseers on this fortress so far are Girlinhat, Robogroudon, Eric Blank, and myself.  I embarked on a random spot with a river and "Play Now!".. just to test things out.  First year.. no booze and all the water has frozen.  Eric and Girlinhat deconstructed the Trade Depot and we've got enough food and booze to survive.

Lots of worthless migrants and.. oh damn! a noble just starved and the expedition leader is throwing a tantrum.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Dwarf_Fortress

Anyways, it's really fun and exciting.  Though laggy.  Maybe this upcoming weekend we can have a nice "Drink, chat, play!" event.  After we've tweaked this install a bit.  Would anyone be interested in playing with us?  I think too many people would get crowded controls, but it should be possible to have multiple games going.

PS: Expedition leader went insane, decapitated two people with a pickaxe and is now safely locked into a room that Girlinhat built above ground.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress : Multi-player Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »

Here I was, thinking "Here we go again" and ready to belay my urge to chew you out for being the millionth person to suggest multiplayer DF when it clearly wasn't ever going to happen and just leave the thread without posting. But instead it seems like this is a legit thingy.

So how exactly does this work?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »

I'd like to get in on this. It is ridiculously hard to find anyone who uses DFterm anymore.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:56:52 pm »

I dunno how it works, but it's rather easy.  You run a program, PuTTY I think it's called, and it connects to this fake-server that Carne is running.  From there, it hooks you into a running version of DF, complete with chat box and running game.  It's ASCII, not supporting graphic sets (yet) but it runs at least.  Also no Therapist or anything else.  Going oldschool with this...

For real, this is worth getting in on, even if it's a bit laggy, it's so much more interesting.

The control is "anyone picks it up".  Like two kids with a remote to the same TV, you end up fighting for control half the time, but if you're polite and orderly, you can share very easily.  It also shows who input the last command, so if someone is trollin' he can be properly thanked for it.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »

Someone linked to it from the Dwarven Drinking Game thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87464.30
dfterm is here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=50643.0

You don't need the dfterm to play though, that is only needed for the server.  The game runs on the server and everyone connects to it together.  We all "share" the controls over the game.  There is a chat window and other stuff to help work together.  We're on steamvoice too, voice is soo helpful (imo).

I'd post the link to the server we're using, but i think we need a "play" server for people to experiment on first.  We have no controls on the fortress right now, so anyone can grief it, or watch, or participate in the horror.   But people are welcome to hop into the group chat room.  We could probably do invites from there?  To at least watch and chat.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:29 pm »

I would invite everyone to join the bloodshed of this game.  Not sure how much additional players will lag the game...

Also let me say: this actually works.  This isn't some weird hax like succession, this is multiple players on the same fort, For Real!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »

Glad y'all are having fun!

Perhaps I'll join in sometime later; very rapped up in my current game and all.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Flaming Toadstool

• Bay Watcher
  • Time stands still at the iron hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »

This sounds like it would be really fun. I might try it out sometime.
Probably the best part was when the enraged hens took out a berserker who'd broken a nest box.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:52:21 pm »

I guess I'll join this. How exactly do I join the "server", however?

EDIT: name on steam is Dwarfnator, for the record
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

I guess I'll join this. How exactly do I join the "server", however?

EDIT: name on steam is Dwarfnator, for the record
Hey man, you're welcome to join.  I'd like to not post the server address here though.  Joining the group is a small hurdle but i think anyone who joins should get access.  We're mostly just playing/experimenting right now.  I'd say each fort can't do more than 4-5 people.. unless two of the people are very chatty or hands-off.  It's very entertaining so far.  Eric has a love for scary water plumbing systems.  Girlinhat seems focused on making an elf zoo.   HorridOwn4ge and Leviathan also seem really seasoned.  It's been great to see how other people play and build.

The fortress is accessible 24/7 by anybody.  So hopefully we don't get any griefers.  I'm going to do some init changes and do cron backups of seasonal saves... so we can restore the fortress if someone ruins it.  Also i'd like to create a download link to zipped up saves, incase someone wants to get their own personal copy of any public fortress.
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:10 pm »

This sounds extremely cool. I am wise enough to realise that though I wish to get in on it I really haven't the time RL being what it is.

I will think on it and perhaps post back. At least you know I'd be good as a 'hands off chatty' player ATM if I do jump in.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:30:30 pm »

We currently don't care.  we have people hopping in and marking random designations and leaving.  It's neat, to see the entire fort crafted out by different people...

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:50 pm »

I've joined the steam group, but since I have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't actually join the chat. Can I get in on this anyway?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »

I've joined the steam group, but since I have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't actually join the chat. Can I get in on this anyway?
Hmmm, i hope so.  Just a min while i research this.
EDIT:
Can you try adding some free games? You don't have to fully install them.. just start the install and stop the download.  It should look like you own the game then.  No idea how many you need?  That is actually really annoying.. i'm surprised you're required to "own" games before joining a group.  But i've left a list of free steam games in the Dwarven Drinking game thread.. page 3 or 4 i think.

I'll try adding you as a friend, once you accept i should be able to suck you into a group chat.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:26:19 pm by Carnes »
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

thedryness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 10:19:49 pm »

ahh man, this sounds really awesome! i totally want in!

someone definitely needs to gt some separate controls going though and separate populations. going to war would be pretty rad.

perhaps an interesting idea for what you currently have going would be to designate each player a certain z-level? or maybe its more interesting for everyone to contribute anywhere...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19