Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11202 times)

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:50:06 pm »

Apex City, Apex Continent
Proper story's gotta start from the beginning. These past fine years, queen's happy, the proud folks of Apex City are happy, and everyone's happy. But all that's ended suddenly. It ain't no fault of us, nor our neighbors. Ain't any human I know of, either. And I know lots. Thing is,  Mother Nature just stopped being so generous. Plants withered. Wheat died as tiny shoots. Apples shrivled more shrively than your average witch. You get the picture.
So, the queen decides to send five of their best to neighboring continent Minima to hire a wizard or two and bring'm home to magic our land back to life. She sends her fastest ship with'm, and plenty of coal, to get them there and back. She also give them a few extras in case of trouble. Not that there'd be any. Steamboat's a fine flying ship, runs on fire and water heated up. It's got a bite, too, to keep away the wyverns.

Well, enough of my talking. Why don't you introduce yourself?

Go on.

Fine, here's a little something to help you out. Gotta be hard to  describe your life in a few words, isn't it?
You got a name. You got a gender. You got a weapon. You probably got a few trinkets of yourself. Just fill out this card down here.

Name:
Description: Anything from your appearance to your short history. Don't have to be long. Fill out the interesting bits of your life.
Weapon: 'case you didn't notice, this ain't no fairy tale with little sticks that shoot fancy lights. Nothing but cold hard steel, fiery muskets and pistols, pipin' hot steam, and a good dose of wizardry. You ain't no wizard, though. Just a normal folk. But normal folks are who make the world go round. And that's a fact.
Trinkets and tools: Whatever you bring with you. Kinda like keepsakes, but that don't mean they can't do anything. Things like first aid or food are all on Steam Ship Willy. Just gotta bring what you want for yourself.
Stats: Now, I don't know what this is for, but you gotta fill it in. You get twenty red stats and four blue stats, along with four green stats. Choose what you want, and don't mix'm up.
Red Stats (20 to spend)
: HP

Blue Stats (4 to spend)
: Do Stuff Ability

Green Stats (4 to spend)
: Skills
of your choosing, be it Piloting, Mechanics, Swordskill, Marksmanship, Tinkering ... You can choose four skills, or you can get a level two skill for two points. It's your choice, like I said.

Oh, and if your card ain't filled out good, I'll ignore you and look at another of Apex's finest folk. So be good.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:07:12 am by Tarangini »

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Willy — 0.5
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 01:09:16 pm »

What is the difference between Blue and Green?
What is the point of red if you can only allocate to HP?

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:10 pm »

I'll reserve a slot, just give me a second for the sheet. Steampunk adventures are amazing.

Name: Arden Slater
Description: Arden would be called an alchemist and a bodyguard, if anyone trusted him with their life. While he's incredibly skilled at both combat and alchemy, his reckless use of poisonous gasses tends to cause complications when working with others. He can't make money without clients, so he signed up for the Steamship Willy in order to travel the world and collect ingredients himself, as well as prove to the world that working alongside him isn't death sentence.
Weapon: Elemental Bombardier - A musket with a wide bore built to fire alchemical shells and smokebombs, as well as regular shots.
Trinkets and tools: 5 Toxic Smokebombs, 5 Antidote Pills, and an Alchemy Set.
Stats:
Red Stats (20 to spend)
20 HP

Blue Stats (4 to spend)
Gather Ingredients: Arden searches for anything nearby that might be useful for alchemy.
"Never expected this to be growing here..."
Combine Ingredients: Arden mixes various herbs and chemicals together to make useful things. "Some beeswax, a flask of oil, and just a pinch of suzuran..."
Fire Alchemical Shell: Arden fires one of his handcrafted shells or smokebombs from his weapon. "You might want to hold your breath for this one..."
Identify Concoction: Arden examines a substance in an attempt to find out more about it. "You might have fooled a regular bodyguard with that trick. But I'm an alchemist. Now put the cyanide away, or I'll show you some real poison."

Green Stats (4 to spend)
: Alchemy 2, Marksmanship 1, Gathering 1
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:09:47 pm by Wwolin »
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:16:31 pm »

Do Stuff Ability's the name of the ability. Don't know why there's only one entry for each stat. Must be bureaucracy. Paperwork. Papers are stronger than a sword, sometimes.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:18:41 pm »

Do Stuff Ability's the name of the ability. Don't know why there's only one entry for each stat. Must be bureaucracy. Paperwork. Papers are stronger than a sword, sometimes.

I'd like to reserve a spot, but could you elaborate? Are red and blue like hp and mp respectively, and everyone starts with 20 and 4 respectively?

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:27:46 pm »

Name:Oswod Pertol
Description:A nobleman of his home town.One day,he couldn't take it any more and was taken by wanderlust.
Weapon:Dual Fire-Flare-guns/pistols
Trinkets and tools:Knife,Butcher Knife,Sensor,Map
Stats:
Red Stats (20 to spend)
: HP:20...durr?
Blue Stats (4 to spend)
: Do Stuff Ability:Cook,Butcher,Sniper/Marksman,Medic
Green Stats (4 to spend)
: Skills:Trading,Persuading,Diplomat,Charisma

Nevermind,don't even waitlist.
Will just watch.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:13:52 am by TheZoomZoll »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »

I put one up in a sec
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »

Proper story's gotta start from the beginning.
I see what you did there.

Name: Tom Anderson

Description: A short, round man with a gray moustache adorning his face and a thin combover on his balding head. He is wearing a lab coat over his brown jumper and a watchmaker's monocle made of aluminum. A steel mechanical leg is attached to his right thigh.
These days, Doc Anderson's trade is building artificial limbs that work every bit as good as the real ones. Doc wasn't always called Doc, though: in his younger days, he was addressed as Professor Anderson, one of the brightest scientists of his era, and like many others of his kind, he spent decades peeking behind the world's scenes for fun, profit and the common good.
Anderson was the one who came up with the technology of neuro-synchronization twenty years ago; he always said that he didn't really come up with it, that he simply copied the machinery that makes living beings tick, but everybody knows that neither people nor animals work the way machines do... right? Either way, Doc decided to ditch the theoretical science and start making money shortly after discovering how to make machines just that little bit closer to living beings, and that was the end of him being called the Professor.

Weapons:
None, if you don't count the scalpels in his toolkit. His leg is heavy enough to be considered a weapon.

Trinkets and tools:
Neuro-synchronized prosthetic right leg. A stainless steel mechanical leg, powered by a wound-up spring. One full wind-up of the spring is enough to last Doc half a day. Removing the leg is possible and can be done by Doc himself, but takes a bit of time to do properly.
Magnifying monocle. An aluminum monocle with a few sets of magnifying lenses for it. Has a leather band keeping it on Doc's head. Allows for examining objects in greater detail. Doc mostly uses it for tinkering, though it doubles as a way to show off his wealth without resorting to such impractical metals as gold and silver.
Mecha-surgeon's toolkit. A leather bundle about eight inches long and three in diameter. Contains everything a surgeon-slash-tinkerer-slash-inventor needs out in the field: a set of screwdrivers, a wire tool, a handheld manual drill, three scalpels of different sizes, tweezers, a number of clamps, a set of needles and threads and a vial of mineral oil.
A flask of 70% alcohol. Used strictly for disinfections. That said, Doc really likes his coffee germ-free.

Stats:
Red Stats
20 HP

Blue Stats
Do Stuff: Neuro-Synchronize Devices With Living Beings
Do Stuff: Automate Mechanical Devices
Do Stuff: Perform Surgery
Do SCIENCE: Reverse-Engineer Advanced Technology

Green Stats
Tinkering: 2
Medicine: 2
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:10:40 am by HmH »

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 01:32:20 pm »

PTW
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 01:33:37 pm »

Uhm did I do it..right?
Hmm..

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

Name: Jameson Frazier
Description: Jameson was always a prodigy and loved to fix stuff and create new stuff. His father died when he was 12, but his dad was determined to have his kid be the best mechanic their was. Graduating from college 2 years ago, Jameson's goal is to build a steamship that will outrace, outfight, and beat anything else. He's signing up for this trip because he needs a little money for the ship.
Weapon: Jameson is armed with his father's trusty sword wrench, a tool that can be used to set up machines or just whack people on the head.
Trinkets and tools: Jameson has a couple of lucky bolts which he thinks will increase his luck, some little mechanical odds and ends, and a grease cloth
Stats: Now, I don't know what this is for, but you gotta fill it in. You get twenty red stats and four blue stats, along with four green stats. Choose what you want, and don't mix'm up.
Red Stats (20 to spend)
20: HP

Blue Stats (4 to spend)
Hammering
Fixing robots
Figuring out why something isn't working
Welding

Green Stats (4 to spend)
2 Building
2 Repairing

Wasn't really sure what to do for Blue and red stats.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:55:50 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »

Name:Jack Ship
Description: A librarian with blue hair and eyes, he didn't like his dad and his dad hated him, said he a wimpy girl pretending to be a boy. So he ran away from home because it was that or a bullet between his eyes and Jack did not want a murderer. He work in Apex City's librarian for a few years before he heard of this ship. He had often dream of going on an adventure and thus joined.
Weapon: Musket
Trinkets and tools: Diary, gun cleaning kit, deck of cards
Stats:
Red Stats
: HP 10
: Perception 5
: intelligence 5

Blue Stats
: Quickload
: Longshot
: Find book
: Decode

Green Stats
: Skills Marksmanship 2 and History 2
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 12:20:13 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 01:38:50 pm »

Blue Stats
: Do Stuff Ability 4 Still unsure on what this is

Blue Stats (4 to spend)
???

Wasn't really sure what to do for Blue and red stats.

So I am not the only one who doesn't understand this concept at all?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 01:51:26 pm »

Name: Lüther von Schankel
Description: Tall for his age, a pioneer of experimentally newfangled gadgetry. After an initial lucky run of successes, He turned up. Things went rapidly downhill from there.
Finally caved and joined the crew when yet another of his 'projects' 'accidentally' detonated (it was obviously Him trying to steal Lüther's ideas), leaving him pretty destitute.
Weapon: experimental steam-pistol, which seems to have even more modifications every day. Lüther's current pride and joy.
Trinkets and tools: 'Tinkerin' kit', goggles, singed laboratory coat with lots of pockets.
Stats:
RED STATS (20pts)
HP - 20

BLUE STATS: (4)
: Jury-rig fixup,
: Ambidextrous,
: Utilize newfangled gadgetry,
: Improvised design.

GREEN STATS (4)
Inventor/tinkerer (2), Paranoia (1), Marksmanship (pistols) (1)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:45:14 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 02:05:19 pm »

and here's the bio

Name:Roland Mopsay
Description: Roland is a fairly average guy with dark borwn hair and brown eyes. When he was a child he lived with his father, a huntsman from whom he inherited his marksmanship skills and a nice bushy beard, near the outskirts of civilisation. When he was 18, he went to a nice school. How anxious he was to be the first of his family to graduate a good school. He was, however, a horrible student only good at chemistry and basic biology. His student days came to an abrubt end after he was expelled for, completely accidentally, destroying 5 classrooms in a freak accident involving gunpowder and that wench of a history teacher misses welsch's desk.
At the ripe age of 20 and living on the streets without even a nail to scratch his arse, he eventually found a job working with a fireworks artisan. He and old one-eyed Jim brought colour to the sky and warmth to the hearts of the people of Apex at many festivals. For 3 years he studied under Old one-eyed Jim (who never told him how he lost that eye), and  eventually inherited the artisan's shop when he died. And life was good...
...right up until he was working on his biggest "dragon lance" firework yet, and some dimwitted jackass threw a cigarette trough his window. Bearing a nice burn scar over the length of his left arm and cheek and a shop that is now a black scorch mark. So he did what anyone would do, and joined the royal navy as a gunner. It was here that he excelled at long range bombardements and helped with the development of gunpowder that would work better in bad weather conditions and with alternative cannon munitions, eventually designing a cheap but effective cannonball that would explode upon impact and throw shrapnel everywhere.

Weapons: His trusty hunting knife, given to him by his father. It's actually a family heirloom, a sturdy bayonet that gleams a silvery shine from a war long past and forgotten.

Trinkets and tools: A satchel with everything one needs to make explosives, except for gunpowder of course. He also has a silver medallion roughly the size of a coin in his pocket, awarded for his help in making the navy just a tad bit more efficient.

Stats:
Red Stats (20 to spend)
: HP:20

Blue Stats (4 to spend)
: Do Stuff Ability: make explosives, sneak takedown, lay/make traps, tracking

Green Stats (4 to spend)
: Pyrotechnics(2), swordsmanship (1), stealth (1)

would swordmanship include knives?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:51:08 pm by Pancaek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9