Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963170 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #5505 on: August 14, 2016, 02:09:28 pm »

bashing tau or empty imperial propaganda
I belive the problem is not the occasional empty Imperial propaganda (which, honestly happens pretty rarely) but rather the drawn out "Tau vs Imperium" discussion every 20 pages or so. I mean, it's always the same arguments (which are not, in fact, empty Imperial propaganda despite what some would want to belive) every time and the Tauboos just refuse to accept that they pose no threat to anyone. Though, it actually got better last time since people actually mentioned Damocles crusade. :V
Funnily enough, I can't think of any other faction with which it happens so much, but that may be due to my raging hate for Tau and raging loyalty to Imperium, so there's that.
Also, while you're at it, you could fix the first post image since it doesn't work. :f
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: August 14, 2016, 02:18:51 pm »

There's been a couple times where I've considered doing a Tau suggestion game, but I'm pretty sure either not enough people would participate or it would be flooded by people saying to shoot ourselves for being a filthy xeno.

Plus, it's difficult, psychologically, when people bash on one's faction, to not respond.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: August 14, 2016, 02:19:06 pm »

Image fixed, thanks for pointing that out.

If you want an example of the kind of posts that I mean: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139714.msg7130847#msg7130847
It just doesn't really add much to the discussion. The image (which was large, but spoilered, which is good!) was kinda funny perhaps, but shouting about how loyalist you are or how much the imperium rocks in big colored all-caps is informational white noise honestly. And I'm not singling you out here, I just wanna make it clear what kind of thread I'd like this to be.

There's been a couple times where I've considered doing a Tau suggestion game, but I'm pretty sure either not enough people would participate or it would be flooded by people saying to shoot ourselves for being a filthy xeno.

Plus, it's difficult, psychologically, when people bash on one's faction, to not respond.

Put it clearly in the thread rules not to do crap like that and to not be an ass. Report people who do it and shoot them as an example to the others. They'll stop soon enough, and then you can have your game, though whether you'll find enough players I can't say. Maybe if you avoid going up against imperial forces it'll help?

For the second, I can understand that, which is why I wanna make it so people who have criticisms of the tau (or any faction really) actually formulate them coherently so the points can be discussed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:22:59 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: August 14, 2016, 02:37:08 pm »

Problem with the damocles crusade is that it's pretty much the maximum amount of effort the imperium can direct at a target at any one time. And it won't rebuild the lost materiel for pretty long time. You could possibly go bigger, but between the eye of terror and the orks, 'nids and such would make it a pretty pyrrhic victory for the imperium.

Simply put, the tau are simply too well equipped and prepared for a crusade to work, and they actually happen to be useful in that they're semi-reasonable, and happen to be facing the brunt of ork and tyranid attacks that the imperium would be feeling pretty hard if they weren't there.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: August 14, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »

therefore Tau x Im-perium otp bros forever

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5510 on: August 14, 2016, 02:49:55 pm »

If you want an example of the kind of posts that I mean: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139714.msg7130847#msg7130847
And yes you do, Kot. Gue'la are ignorant, not (usually stupid. :P
Well, it's not like I am going to respond seriously to being called stupid, though yeah, to be fair, few pages ago we had a bunch of screaming about how loyal we are and stuff. I think it happens mostly when we finish one discussion (especially if it's about Imperium vs Tau) and nothing new comes up fast enough. :v

Remember all those "Imperial" suggestion games where half of suggestions are "TURN TO CHAOS" (and then the GM gives in)? Yeah.

Plus, it's difficult, psychologically, when people are horrendously wrong, to not respond.
I mean, at least not for me, because WH40k lore is srs bsns, but Wh40k lore being Wh40k lore I am right but... so you are, kind of, a little bit, sometimes... it happens, I guess?
Tau are still no match for Imperium and never will be.

Maybe if you avoid going up against imperial forces it'll help?
As long as you go shoot Tyranids and avoid shooting Humans or portraying Gue'vesa you are set.

To be honest, the biggest problem here I see is actually Tau, not Imperium. Imperium would proably leave them be (at least until they could reasonably easily roll over them) I mean, face it, it's the Tau that are the aggressors here, coming and screaming about having to join the Greater Wood while Imperium is on defensive because they couldn't care less about bunch of Tau worlds while they fight actually meaningful threats. :V
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: August 14, 2016, 03:12:15 pm »

According to lexicanum:
Only the High Lords of Terra were able to declare a Crusade that could be any campaign from being a long, large-scale war involving many Space Marine Chapters or could be a short conflict that is resolved in a single battle with only a handful of troops. Crusades is one means of drawing contingents from several Space Marine Chapters and binding them together to fight an enemy. This serves as a way of not committing entire Chapters or involving the ponderous resources of the Imperial Guard. They can be declared against heretic Lords or even rebellious planetary governments that had turned against the Imperium due to their own selfish reasons. Crusades are also able to be launched against alien planets or newly discovered worlds that lay beyond the Emperor's light.

Aka a crusade isn't necessarily a big undertaking. The size of the Damocles gulf one:
The Crusade was based around a dozen capital starships of the Imperial Navy, five provisional companies of Space Marines, and nineteen Regiments of Imperial Guard, seven of them from Brimlock.

Which is sizable, but not extremely big (by imperium standards, mind). For example, the Corinth Crusade consisted of:
the Crusade comprised the combined forces of the Ultramarines, Angels of Absolution, Lamenters, Silver Skulls, Scythes of the Emperor and the Marines Errant Chapters, as well as over 50 Imperial Guard regiments

Also, I think a big part of the reason why the imperium was rebuked back then was because they didn't really know the Tau, so they were surprised when it turned out they had underestimated the threat.

Initially surprised by the range and power of Tau torpedo salvos [...] Finding the Tau forces to be extremely well-equipped mobile infantry and that the Hammerhead grav-tank was a close match for the Imperial Leman Russ Battle Tank, Imperial forces took heavy losses but intervention by the Scythes of the Emperor not only led to victory but avoided an outright massacre.

Finally, note that the reason the imperium was willing to negotiate and end the crusade instead of pushing on and requesting reinforcements was that our friendly neighborhood bugs had come knocking again:
The negotiations were successful and the Imperial fleet withdrew from Tau space, primarily due to the impending approach of Hive Fleet Behemoth.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 03:14:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:15 pm »

And yes you do, Kot. Gue'la are ignorant, not (usually stupid. :P
Well, it's not like I am going to respond seriously to being called stupid, though yeah, to be fair, few pages ago we had a bunch of screaming about how loyal we are and stuff. I think it happens mostly when we finish one discussion (especially if it's about Imperium vs Tau) and nothing new comes up fast enough. :v
I wasn't trying to call you stupid, tho. That was my point. The 'usually' is because I figured otherwise someone would point out that Guardsmen aren't always particularly bright, just loyal and determined.

Remember all those "Imperial" suggestion games where half of suggestions are "TURN TO CHAOS" (and then the GM gives in)? Yeah.
...not really, no. I've only been part of like 1 or 2 Imperial suggestion games. And they were fun, but my primary experience with 40k suggestion games was when I tried to run an Ork one and people wanted to be Freebootaz, and I wanted it to build up to getting off planet, and eventually gave in, but then it stalled since I didn't actually know where to go from that point.
Plus, it's difficult, psychologically, when people are horrendously wrong, to not respond.
I mean, at least not for me, because WH40k lore is srs bsns, but Wh40k lore being Wh40k lore I am right but... so you are, kind of, a little bit, sometimes... it happens, I guess?
Tau are still no match for Imperium and never will be.
No match=accurate
Never will be=inaccurate
Once the Imperium crumbles away at the pressure from literally every angle (because GW wants to create SUSPENSE!!@!@!@#$!@$!@!1121! and CRISIS suits), there'll be a point where the falling Imperium and rising Empire power curves meet. The power curves of everything else will be sky-high, most likely, in comparison, but still.
To be honest, the biggest problem here I see is actually Tau, not Imperium. Imperium would proably leave them be (at least until they could reasonably easily roll over them) I mean, face it, it's the Tau that are the aggressors here, coming and screaming about having to join the Greater Wood while Imperium is on defensive because they couldn't care less about bunch of Tau worlds while they fight actually meaningful threats. :V
He's not wrong, though I'm not actually sure if the Tau can expand in other directions. They might be, and it's just that the Imperium isn't over on that side and so we never hear about it. If they were, it would certainly rise their potential threat level if they can expand in a direction that doesn't have the Imperium stopping them, but I'm not sure how many habitable worlds there are. Dunno why you call it Greater Wood, tho. :/ It's not called the Imperial Feed, even if Emps is always hungry :P

Leadership was supposed to be hyper-aggressive for the Tau until Aun'va got killed, so maybe in head-canon world where plot advances, the Tau switch to consolidating to try and repel another Crusade if/when it happens. Need to digest all those human populations and figure out what role they serve and whether they should be full citizens of the Empire (even Kroot aren't, and Imperial ideology might be about as repulsive to Tau, I dunno). Also figure out how to deal with a psyker population that is hidden among non-psykers, rather than being obvious or an entire species. Maybe another wave of starship development with more human technology and psykers. I think some Navigators have flipped to the Tau when their ships have, though I think the families are still around Sol Segmentum. Right?

Also, I did not realize how few ships/regiments were involved in Damocles Crusade. Taros Campaign has like nine regiments or so, I think is why I figured it would be so much bigger. Huh. :/
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5513 on: August 14, 2016, 06:20:20 pm »

I wasn't trying to call you stupid, tho. That was my point. The 'usually' is because I figured otherwise someone would point out that Guardsmen aren't always particularly bright, just loyal and determined.
And neither are Tau, considering their short lifespans and general mind-washing.
I understood that it wasn't serious, though.

Never will be=inaccurate
It will never be because before Imperium gets wiped out, the Tau will. Tyranids are knocking on the door and the first thing on the main path is Tau Empire.

Dunno why you call it Greater Wood, tho. :/ It's not called the Imperial Feed, even if Emps is always hungry :P
Tau tits.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: August 14, 2016, 08:59:12 pm »

I remember reading on 1d4chan that the Ecclesiarchy can technically point in some direction, shout "CRUSADE", and a fair number of people will in fact head over there, ill-armed and -ll-prepared they may be. In short, the Ecclesiarchy can in fact function similarly to the real Crusades!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5515 on: August 14, 2016, 09:18:07 pm »

A good example would be The Proletarian Crusade, where, during The Beast War, Ecclesiarchy had an idea slipt to them by a some Chartist Captain and they basically went "holy shit there is Death Star over Terra do something" and had billions of people loaded up on trading ships and sent to combat Orks.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: August 14, 2016, 10:15:25 pm »

Reminds of crusades in chapter master.
> GLORIOUS CRUSADE, spesss muhreeens assemble!
> You send all the chapter TOWARDS GLORY
> Only six of them return, but they at least got a chalice somewhere.(chief librarian spends 5 years investigating origins of the artifact)
> Sudden inquisitor comes to inspect your chapter ( when chief librarian finishes identifying the chalice)
> Inquisitor notices, that chalice is constantly screaming blasphemies, has greater demon of nurgle,  has eyeholes constantly leaking pus and has engravings of some fat horned rotten figures on it, and glows with green sickening light, and makes people feel uneasy just by its presence ( why did your marines even pick it up and decided to store in chapter armoury in the first place, and why it took chief librarian 5 years to figure out, that there is SOMETHING HERETICAL about it)
> HERESYYYY!!!!EXCOMMUNICATUS TRAITORIS
> Planet bombed and besieged by LOADS of guardsmen
>Ok, it is our turn: Chapter master Tullius fires his master crafted heavy bolter, 16 guardsmen die. Four tactical marines fire their bolters - 16 guardsmen die. Chief librarian suffers peril of the warp and blows up into greater Nurgle demon.
> 900 battlecannons fire - fortifications are destroyed. 16000 lasguns fire - 4 tactical marines die . 10000 autoguns fire - chapter master dies. 600 leman russes fire - greater unclean one vanishes.
> Chapter has crumbled
> 11 crusades for the emperor/10

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: August 14, 2016, 10:17:41 pm »

That's 40K, baby

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: August 15, 2016, 01:03:18 am »

There's been a couple times where I've considered doing a Tau suggestion game, but I'm pretty sure either not enough people would participate or it would be flooded by people saying to shoot ourselves for being a filthy xeno the purging fire of the Emperor's Wrath would scour it from the forums in explosion of divine righteousness.

Don't hate us because we love Imperial RP. :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:06:10 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: August 15, 2016, 01:10:06 am »

There's been a couple times where I've considered doing a Tau suggestion game, but I'm pretty sure either not enough people would participate or it would be flooded by people saying to shoot ourselves for being a filthy xeno the purging fire of the Emperor's Wrath would scour it from the forums in explosion of divine righteousness.

Don't hate us because we love Imperial RP. :(
I don't believe there's actually limited number of threads, though. :[
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 824