Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH (Only War Greenskins Campaign OOC)  (Read 11012 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Only WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH (Only War Greenskins Campaign OOC)
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2022, 08:10:37 pm »

My weapon also comes from my character's history and he doesn't want to give it up for a generic mook weapon.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 20, 2022, 08:11:04 pm »

Just a single one? It probably wouldn't be that far out there to get enough for the squad.

You're thinking like a rogue trader. In Only War you have to deal with the startling incompetence of the DM. You're lucky if you can get anything Common or under.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 20, 2022, 08:11:23 pm »

Just a single one? It probably wouldn't be that far out there to get enough for the squad.

I might be badly misreading it, but I think it's something like 25% to get one.  And the autocannon might be impossible.

It's entirely possible I'm just reading it entirely wrong.

(As for why not the pistol, it seems the only advantages the autopistol would have is freeing up the second hand and being lighter.  That could be useful if the melee weapon was something held in one hand, because I could then parry with my gun out, but it's a bayonet that's attached to a lasgun, so that isn't an option.)

(I don't really understand the rules yet, so I might be totally wrong, but I don't see any reason why the combat shotgun would be bad, so going for that.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 20, 2022, 08:17:46 pm »

Is this official gear that needs to be accounted for at a future date?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2022, 08:24:40 pm »

Is this official gear that needs to be accounted for at a future date?

No, it is basically the department screwing up and they have no idea that you have it. You will probably get in mild trouble if found with it during inspection. You can freely use them but won't get any free refills. Which brings us to...

Trading In Gear

What you got isn't what you wanted. If what you have is decent enough you can attempt to trade it for something someone else in your Regiment or PDF has. This works under the Working the System rules, a Commerce test with a penalty based on whatever you are trying to trade in. This is forbidden and should be done under the table unless you want to bank on your superiors being shady or pragmatic.

You could theoretically trade some of the grenades to the local PDF for a local shotgun, or attempt to trade the drum of acid for something else.

Also reminder Covert Strike gives +10 to certain logistic rolls involving Stealth.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:31:32 pm by Stirk »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2022, 08:35:44 pm »

You're thinking like a rogue trader. In Only War you have to deal with the startling incompetence of the DM. You're lucky if you can get anything Common or under.

Bah, where are my absurd piles of money and city-monastery worth of loyal minions? This is bullshit. I want my solar pattern heavy bolter with suspensors back, that thing melted a powerful demon.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 20, 2022, 08:42:55 pm »

Bah, where are my absurd piles of money and city-monastery worth of loyal minions? This is bullshit. I want my solar pattern heavy bolter with suspensors back, that thing melted a powerful demon.

Well now with your drum filled with acid you can literally melt powerful demons!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2022, 08:44:36 pm »

But we don't have any trebuchets or ogryn to use it as ammunition for.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2022, 12:34:10 pm »

I would like to discuss with Stirk how they would see minor manifestations of divination and telekeinesis working in their game.

Mostly because there are games of chance afoot and I would like to increase my chances of winning something for the squad with divination manifestations, and telekinesis manifestations might be useful for causing distractions when we’re stealthing about.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2022, 01:00:55 pm »

I would like to discuss with Stirk how they would see minor manifestations of divination and telekeinesis working in their game.

Mostly because there are games of chance afoot and I would like to increase my chances of winning something for the squad with divination manifestations, and telekinesis manifestations might be useful for causing distractions when we’re stealthing about.

If you use it in games of chance you'll first have to ditch your handler. Gambling is a Logic roll (apparently), cheating will probably get you a +20 bonus but if you fail hard enough people will figure out what is going on they'll probably organize an impromptu witch burning in response. Your telekinesis manifestations will be context dependent, if you move a rock to distract an ork everyone involved would probably get +10, if you manage to trick two Orks into fighting you might get a +30.

Probably.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 21, 2022, 02:17:12 pm »

Mmm, cheating might actually go against the whole Chivalry thing we have going on, though it does only specify deceive checks…

There are too many things to spend XP on.

I s’pose I could throw it open to everybody: I could spend 100XP on the minor manifestations (50XP for each “school” of psychic power I have an ability in) and also another 100XP on the logic skill since I don’t have it;

I could spend 200XP on gaining another +10 on the Psyniscience skill, which will allow me to know a bit more about any Psykers we may come across, and also makes it easier to successfully cast Prescience, which gives two of you a whopping +4 bonus to BS and WS;

I could spend 200XP on Spontaneous Combustion, which acts like Assail (until my psy rating goes up, in which case Assail is better) but I can possibly set enemies on fire;

I could save it up to increase my Psy rating later, which will cost 600XP to go from 2 to 3. This will increase the range I can do things at, some bonuses to psychic powers (Prescience would affect 3 of you, and get a +6 bonus, for example) and also certain psy ratings are prerequisites for certain more powerful abilities I can get later.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 02:23:32 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2022, 03:51:02 pm »

I would think that hiding the fact you are cheating would count as deception.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2022, 04:30:47 pm »

I would only have to hide the fact I’m cheating if I get caught cheating.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2022, 05:17:20 pm »

If you get caught cheating it's because you failed to hid the fact you were cheting.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 21, 2022, 06:36:17 pm »

I would think that hiding the fact you are cheating would count as deception.

You are allowed to use technicalities. Presumably of the "It doesn't say that a dog can't play basketball" variety in this case.

But yeah it is risky when if they ask "Hey are you using your psyker power to have an unfair advantage?" and you can't say no.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17