Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing Dwarfs' Starting Prefs?  (Read 1143 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Editing Dwarfs' Starting Prefs?
« on: December 21, 2008, 06:46:14 pm »

I would like to start a fortress with a Dream Team of workers -- the Kryptonian Baby-Capsule of my Dwarvish civ.  To this end, I'd love to start with
  • A pair of miners with side talents - one loves ballista parts and happens to be a gifted siege engineer; the other loves chain mail and is an armorsmith on the side.
  • A carpenter who loves pine (or oak, or maple) and beds.
  • A brewer who loves barrels and pig tails
  • A cook with a penchant for longland flour, or dwarven syrup
  • A mason who happens to love statues and marble, and maybe also likes platinum or gold nuggets
...and so on.  The idea is artificially cobble together a custom team of dwarves who love their jobs, and exploit the high rate of high-quality goods generated by a dwarf working on items he prefers.  Any idea how I can do this other than rolling dozens of batches of new dwarves?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Editing Dwarfs' Starting Prefs?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 09:41:54 pm »

I don't recall ever seeing any difference in quality due to just material prefs regarding the jobs being worked on...
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:59 pm »

O.o

If toady EVER released the source code for DF, Im sure this would be possible, but other than that, you have a hard job ahead of you.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:47:47 pm »

I don't recall ever seeing any difference in quality due to just material prefs regarding the jobs being worked on...

This.

I know it's been tossed around alot that material preference = higher quality items using that material but I don't know if it's true or not. AFAIK the only evidence was that in the 2d version, adamantine items frequently came out with modifiers even if the creator was only dabbling and it was attributed to every dwarf liking adamantine.

It seems like it would be easy enough to test, though. Just find a dwarf with no stoneworking skill and a preference for a stone you have alot of and have him churn out a few dozen mugs (be sure he does not make enough to get novice skill) and check if any of them have a quality modifier.

Anyway, despite all that, to answer your question as far as I know there is no mod or utility to edit preferences. I don't if it would be possible to make one or not, either.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09:07 am »

I think tweak might have something but that could be related to embark profile as opposed to dwarf profile.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09:15 am »

Well, call me a sentimentalist, but I like assigning dwarves to jobs they're inclined to like. Otherwise I'd feel bad that they would hate their jobs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:58 am »

Well, call me a sentimentalist, but I like assigning dwarves to jobs they're inclined to like. Otherwise I'd feel bad that they would hate their jobs.

I dont.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 04:02:26 am »

I used to do stuff like that, and still kind of pay attention to it at embark.  I really don't care anymore, except I sometimes assign butchery tasks to wimpy sounding dwarfs to see if they ever crack.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:44 am »

After dozens of restarts (pick embark location, embark!, check skills for compatible matches) I managed to get a mason who likes basalt on a map that's full of the stuff.  He started at Proficient, and during his run of proficiency -- until he moved up to Adept -- I was able to clock his results as slightly higher than expected.  Unfortunately the small sample size makes me suspect that it could just be normal variation.

I'm kicking myself for not setting up a better controlled experiment, and now I'm looking for peasants with good material/item pairs in their preferences to try out the following:
  • 100 un-favorable objects (I could just use the figures from the wiki as a control but I'd like to verify what a "normal" result looks like)
  • 100 objects made of favorite material
  • 100 objects of favorite type
  • 100 objects of favorite type, made of favorite stone

I have noticed that placing (e.g.) a native copper cabinet in the room of a dwarf who loves native copper will generate a fairly strong happy thought - this seems obvious and is probably well-documented.  Perhaps there is no quality benefit (or an imperceptibly small benefit) but that a "satisfied at work" thought comes more often when working with preferred materials or making preferred items?  Don't know how to test this.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:18:15 pm »

You should have started him out with no skill at all. Dabblers can only produce no modifier items, while (according to the theory) if they like the material they get a boost and can produce modifiers even at dabbling.

Otherwise it's not possible to generate a statistically significant number of items before they gain a skill level so it's impossible to say.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!