Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566647 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2520 on: December 13, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »

the december report indicated that the "army arc is on the horizon". So I doubt the economy will be the focus all winter. And the current dev goals are focused around adv mode, so you should be fine. This caravan thing is just jointly applicable to fortress mode.
"the horizon" in this case means "when we're done with this other stuff", which could easily end up being spring or even summer. Although what it is for you depends on where you live, I suppose. It will probably not be winter for me because winter is very short here, for example.

Nah, I think this upcoming release won't take any later than, say, early February at the absolute latest. In the December 8th vlog post, he said he was going to work on worldgen stuff a bit more, which probably will be done by the break I expect him to take toward the end of the month for christmas or whatever. Then there'll be a bunch of basic trading-related post-worldgen stuff, which I don't think will take him ALL of January to finish.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:41 pm »

? i thought the zomby -> skelleton transition was already in - turning these to ghosts might be a bit much thought if we have no way to fight them and i doubt that slabs would work for these kind of ghosts.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: December 13, 2010, 04:59:05 pm »

There was quite a big discussion on 'souls' as the carrier of the AI and identity etc. a while back.
A single living entity would be able to become any one of undead creatures...but not multiple of them obviously.
zombie-> skelleton could be a special case of undead transition. Though personally I'd prefer to have zombies degrade and just die.
Classically, animated skeletons are more powerfull (and more difficult to create) than zombies.
Zombies are easier because they stil have tissues that help keep the body together. Once the zombie degrades and becomes a pile of bones, it could be reanimated to a skeleton, but this should require some kind of magic reservoir.
This preference could be my Warhammer and D&D upbringing indoctrinating me though, many perverted undead concepts are possible. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: December 13, 2010, 08:10:37 pm »

Classically, animated skeletons are more powerfull (and more difficult to create) . . .
Zombies are easier because they stil have tissues that help keep the body together. . . .
This preference could be my Warhammer and D&D upbringing indoctrinating me though

Really?  I was looking forward to reading what "classical" source said skeletons were tougher, since it is exactly my D&D upbringing that told me that zombies were tougher.  I've since decided that skeletons must in fact be harder to make (and probably harder to destroy), for the reasons you give, and thus I've moved on from D&D's definitions.

Has D&D changed its mind in recent editions?

--Rexfelum

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: December 13, 2010, 09:00:45 pm »

This new blog post excites me because it seems to imply that a wonderful agrarian fortress could actually work. Now all we need is for Dwarves to clothe themselves properly.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: December 13, 2010, 09:20:10 pm »

This new blog post excites me because it seems to imply that a wonderful agrarian fortress could actually work. Now all we need is for Dwarves to clothe themselves properly.
Why would they want to, though? It's just a waste of good cloth, as things stand.
I suppose it would make sense for Nobles to require clothes, but for everyone to do it seems silly.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: December 13, 2010, 09:22:14 pm »

I love how it's only two lines and yet implies so much stuff.

Wild mass guessing on the new animals time! Alpacas, anyone?
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: December 13, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »

Minks.  Chinchillas.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »

Alpacas and llamas for sure. Also, will there a new skill for shearing? I know some farmers and they say it's pretty hard to get good at shearing a sheep.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:56 pm »

I love how it's only two lines and yet implies so much stuff.

It doesn't imply anything he hasn't already stated probably a dozen times. You ought to look into recent DF talks and wherever else he's talked about this, because he's gone into some detail before.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: December 13, 2010, 09:46:15 pm »

C'mon DUCKS, I know you can do it!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: December 13, 2010, 09:54:05 pm »

Pigs, sheep, and chickens aren't 16 animals, though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »

Bet there's a bunch of Domestic Cavern Creatures. Draltha's instead of Cows, etc.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: December 13, 2010, 10:56:05 pm »

Yay!  Now it's only a matter of time.

Any thoughts on how those things are going to work when applied to a fortress race?  Would a sheep-men civ be able to shave eachother to produce wool trade goods?  Lizard or birdmen lay eggs and carry them around like babies?  Or is it currently looking like they'll pretty much ignore that kind of stuff and make an omlette out of their young?

Solves babysplosions anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: December 14, 2010, 12:28:57 am »

Congratulations, devlog and gentlemen of the thread. You have dragged from me shrill squeals not unlike those of an eleven year old girl breaking in her new fancy pink pony.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 342