Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566641 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2910 on: January 10, 2011, 09:01:33 am »

Hmm. I've got a question about something that's relatively nigh-useless but would be fun nonetheless! I know that a lot of the framework is already in the game for it (lists of descriptors, etc) but it hasn't been implemented.

Will we ever be able to customize the "look" of our characters in adventure mode? Rather than just set the skills.

I know this is an ASCII game and it doesn't much matter, but still! It would be cool.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:04:28 am by freeformschooler »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:07 am »

of course culture could trump biology.

I think it's mostly the other way around, like 'not eating pig/raw meat' which is very very bad for you in a desert was embedded in desert dwelling cultures - in general, look further than the standard muslims; jews have their kosher stuff too which, unsurprisingly, forbid usage of animals which died of natural death and for the same reason Yoreh De'ah forbids drinking still water (water that is still for more than one night, that is).

look further the culture and in the realm of superstitions and proverbs, and you'll find good survival traits

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: January 10, 2011, 10:04:46 am »

Will we ever be able to customize the "look" of our characters in adventure mode? Rather than just set the skills.

It's come up before:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: wilsonns
Will be possible to edit the adventurer apperance or at least know about his apperance?

You can look at yourself and others.  Changing the appearance would be an interface to write, which isn't the end of the day.  You should certainly be able to customize yourself later on, at least in one version of the start setup (versus historical scenarios or whatever), since it's good to be able to be whatever you want to be.  It'll probably depend on prodding or just me eventually doing it.  Since you pick out where you are from first, it'll probably be constrained by the entity/race settings, with options to break convention or something.  Breaking reality (ie making a blue-skinned human) is more difficult because of how the appearance variables are indexed, and there might even be some issues there with breaking out of entity stylings, though I don't think there are.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: January 10, 2011, 11:03:46 am »

I think it's mostly the other way around, like 'not eating pig/raw meat' which is very very bad for you in a desert was embedded in desert dwelling cultures - in general, look further than the standard muslims; jews have their kosher stuff too which, unsurprisingly, forbid usage of animals which died of natural death and for the same reason Yoreh De'ah forbids drinking still water (water that is still for more than one night, that is).

look further the culture and in the realm of superstitions and proverbs, and you'll find good survival traits

Exactly, culture can trump biology.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

Sorry if this has been addressed recently, but...

With the addition of eggs and vegetable oil, it's gotten me wondering. Are there any plans to overhaul cooking at all in the near future? For example, meals that require certain ingredients to be included?

It just seems such a shame that with so many ingredients available, like milk and eggs and all the different body parts, we're still limited to nonsensical biscuits and roasts...

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #2915 on: January 10, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

From fiction (may not be true of DF universe) we also know that dragons hibernate, and like caves. If they like caves they cannot be cold blooded (or at least it seems less likley).

Deep caves should have pretty constant temperature year-round, so I think that could work for a cold-blooded creature.
[/quote]Why would a dragon be cold blooded? They breathe FIRE.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: January 10, 2011, 04:07:58 pm »

Breathing fire doesn't imply they have to be warm-blooded. Of course, it doesn't mean they have to be cold-blooded either, but it fits. You don't need to be warm-blooded to produce a flaming chemical out of your mouth, especially not if you're doing it presumably via magic.

Being cold-blooded makes a lot of thermodynamic sense for a creature that lies dormant fairly often, and caves are a good place to do that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:38 pm »

Exactly, culture can trump biology.

Except that goats do the same thing, for the same reason.  Well, they avoid still water, not so sure about the not-eating-pork thing.  I mean, they don't eat pork, obviously, but I think that has more to do with their lack of incisors than their keeping kosher.  But, come to think of it, I haven't asked...

In all seriousness, any social mammal is making the same bet.  Look at any herd or pack and you'll see that they do take in outsiders and, sometimes, they'll outcompete a rival group and then pick up members of that group.  Of course they're not "enslaving" them, but all the same tenets of the Ayn Rand version of evolution are being broken by any social animal.  While competition is an important part of evolution, cooperation is as well.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: January 10, 2011, 04:29:32 pm »

Which, for social animals, make a lot of sense. While adding in outsiders doesn't directly affect your genes, it may give you a better chance of passing all/some of them on. For instance, you get a wider selection of potential mates within the group. You also have more individuals doing things like finding food, watching out for predators, protecting the group, and if someone gets killed it might even mean that it's someone not related to you (which does help your genes be the ones passed on, in a way).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

I feel one major point for eggnapping has been overlooked so far (unless I've managed to miss it); For every egg taken you not only gain a new member, the rival tribe also looses one of theirs. Double the gain!
Love, scriver~

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #2920 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »

Looking through creature_standard, dwarves and humans have the MAXAGE tag. Elves, goblins,and dragons do not. Dragons are biologically immortal.

Goblins are immortal? o______________o
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: January 10, 2011, 05:56:27 pm »

Looking through creature_standard, dwarves and humans have the MAXAGE tag. Elves, goblins,and dragons do not. Dragons are biologically immortal.

Goblins are immortal? o______________o
There's a difference between immortality, and invincibility. The goblins have not yet obtained the latter.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: January 11, 2011, 02:07:25 am »

humans and chimps share 99% of the DNA...and i meant like kobolds need young dwarf blood to either incubate their eggs or use it as a catalyst for fertilization, or mate with dwarves simply...and kobolds are more half-dwarf, half...kobold, but the kobold traits are always dominant...though the xenomorph idea IS really cool

and no, i dont read through the raws...so i either think of cobolds as wow kobolds(rat-men) or d&d kobolds(leetle dragon-men)

omg...has lycanthropy been suggested?...or non-fairy vampirism?  prolly has, so i guess im asking if magical diseases have been planned...eventually

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:36 am »

Just out of curiosity, what is "non-fairy vampirism" supposed to be? Vampire fairies are kind of a hilarious idea though, fluttering around nipping people on the arms.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: January 11, 2011, 08:13:33 am »

Just out of curiosity, what is "non-fairy vampirism" supposed to be? Vampire fairies are kind of a hilarious idea though, fluttering around nipping people on the arms.

there was a thread about it no long ago http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=71994.0
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 342