Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566109 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3150 on: January 24, 2011, 03:59:53 pm »

Yeah, though minecraft seems to do OK when it comes to light.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

ChristmasDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: January 24, 2011, 04:12:05 pm »

Toady seems to be much more involved in creating new content. Though, ho ho who am I to ask for some bug-fixes?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: January 24, 2011, 04:53:50 pm »

I believe, once the bees are sorted out, that it's only a little more time until the caravan arc, and the new animals and stuff go live, and he goes into a serious bug fixing phase. I think he wanted to strike a balance between Fort and Adventure mode features for the next release, since the last one was pretty much all about Adventure mode. Otherwise he'd probably have been on to bug fixing by now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: January 24, 2011, 05:53:47 pm »

Absolutely. This is because Minecraft does not feature any moving light source. At all (the sun is global light). I think it's one of the reasons why you can't walk with your torch lit.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3154 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

I assume that's hardware-accelerated. Realtime 3D lighting is one of the reasons we pay $300 for those video cards :)

Speaking of which: I am excite. I am getting a new computer and moving from 1.6ghz per core to 3.0ghz. Full-speed Dwarf Fortress ahoy  :D :D :D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: January 24, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »

I assume that's hardware-accelerated. Realtime 3D lighting is one of the reasons we pay $300 for those video cards :)

Speaking of which: I am excite. I am getting a new computer and moving from 1.6ghz per core to 3.0ghz. Full-speed Dwarf Fortress ahoy  :D :D :D

somehow I read that as "I am enzyte!"  :o

You getting a single core or more?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: January 24, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »

Is it planned to implement in 2011 one of the top* suggestions from DF Eternal Suggestion Voting?
*one of top 4?

Toady has said repeatedly that any of the top ten ESV not on the Dev page are planned to be implemented sooner then later. As for a time table, well Toady seems to be on Valve time.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3157 on: January 24, 2011, 06:52:35 pm »

somehow I read that as "I am enzyte!"  :o

You getting a single core or more?

1.6ghz 3-core to 3.0ghz 2-core. I am still keeping the old computer actually since it's still only a year old and pretty great. It's just that my dad got a promotion and all  :D :D :D

But before that I had the same 2.8ghz mono pentium 4 for five whole years. It ran DF mighty fast.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:56 pm »

It will be used for candles, I'm sure, once lighting goes in. That's by far one of my most anticipated additions that nobody ever talks about, incidentally.
Probably everyone is just too scared to even think about consequences of introduction of dozens of dynamic light sources. Even if Toady keeps it to binary light/dark state, re-calculating FOVs for them will be devastating fps-wise.
We already have a binary light/dark state. Right there with inside/outside.
It wouldn't be an FPS thing anyway, since the data only needs to be altered when it changes. Candles don't think, they just sit there and spread their light. Even with a brightness number (say, from 0 to 255, expressed in-game with a different word in a different color for different ranges of values) it's just assigning a number to a tile. The only potentially hazardous thing is how dwarves deal with areas that are too dark to see.

Absolutely. This is because Minecraft does not feature any moving light source. At all (the sun is global light). I think it's one of the reasons why you can't walk with your torch lit.
It should be pretty rare in a fortress, too. For each moving light source, that's still not much compared to pathfinding. And there should be way fewer mobile light sources than mobile pathfinders (and less than mobile pathfinding targets).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:10:09 pm by Cruxador »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:58 pm »

Heck and many lightsources would be so small the wouldnt have any effect on tiles outside there own - stuff like dragonflys and fairys. Candles etc. , unless they stack, shouldnt be to strong either. 
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: January 24, 2011, 08:33:30 pm »

I recall there being a big Lighting Arc thread, and if I recall correctly one of the supposed issues, was with spotting in different light issues, shadows, and converging light sources.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: January 24, 2011, 08:36:43 pm »

Well, candles would have to change lighting calculations every time nearby tiles are changed, or if constructions are built. There are ways to optimize this, by only checking if they are nearby, but it's not quite as cheap as only updating with new candles. That being said, the light would be static, so after the light calculations are done it won't have an added impact.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: January 24, 2011, 08:44:13 pm »

I recall there being a big Lighting Arc thread, and if I recall correctly one of the supposed issues, was with spotting in different light issues, shadows, and converging light sources.

This it?

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: January 24, 2011, 09:46:33 pm »

There's a mod that lets you walk with your torch lit. It's not a lot of computation, it just looks weird when animated because the light changes in big chunks.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: January 24, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »

This it?

I think so.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 342