Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566112 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4140 on: March 24, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »

It's possible Toady just made ghosts flood-fill pathfind entire maps until they found their destination to cut down on how much he'd have to code or take up memory for a secondary connectivity map that includes every tile, or something.  It would certainly explain the massive lag ghosts cause.

True, but for something that moves like a ghost, you don't need a connectivity map anyway; you could even just shoehorn in a "go in a straight line" stub algorithm for their pathfinding.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: March 24, 2011, 07:56:52 pm »

What I have to wonder is why it only affected certain ghosts.. So it may have been something to do with what type of ghost it was.

Or am I just totally misunderstanding the usage of the word certain?
*Hugs*

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: March 24, 2011, 08:08:54 pm »

Well, it may also have been possible that the code for ghosts trying to "relive" certain past events from their lives was incompatible with the code stub for going in a direct line.  Possibly, that was somehow extremely inefficient. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: March 25, 2011, 02:41:52 am »

Given the prevalence of flying wild animals, invaders on flying mounts, flying FBs, and flying HFS, maybe Toady should just bite the memory bullet and allow the secondary map for all of these? Or would this kind of map be far too ridiculously memory intensive?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: March 25, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »

Well, given the seige stuff that comes later (with tunnelling enemies and bridge-builders), the fact that he wants enemies to remember paths that have lead to massive casualties in the past (I.E. remember where the deathtraps are), and avoid them, to have things like "Improved Hauling", where dwarves can pick up and haul more than one item in a single trip, minecarts, and several other things that will require special pathfinding code to make work, he may just be trying to coast on what he has until he's ready to overhaul the whole system. 

Tunneler units, especially, can blow the whole pathfinding thing up, depending on how much they are allowed to dig.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 25, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »

When 3D mineral veins are in, how will you know when they go upwards or downwards (without digging stairs everywhere)?
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: March 25, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »

What's wrong with digging stairs everywhere?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 25, 2011, 03:38:51 pm »

Speaking of which, is stairs one of the things that got an FPS fix?  I remember some science proving stairs drain FPS more than ramps, but then we get this update where some unspecified sources of fps problems were cleaned up.  So can anyone tell if stairs was one of those?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Garnett

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: March 25, 2011, 05:13:14 pm »

Is there a way to strangle/cut throats with weapons besides slashing/stabbing them in aimed combat?  It would be cool to some sort of stealth kill for scrawny rogue characters, such as the aforementioned throat cutting and garroting.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: March 25, 2011, 05:27:23 pm »

Speaking of which, is stairs one of the things that got an FPS fix?  I remember some science proving stairs drain FPS more than ramps, but then we get this update where some unspecified sources of fps problems were cleaned up.  So can anyone tell if stairs was one of those?

I would highly doubt that, as the cost of stairs is probably due to having a more open environment (as in, more tiles to stand on) than a ramp would have interacting with A* pathfinding.

Those problems are relatively minor, as far as I remember, and would really only be fixed by working on a change to the core pathfinding code, itself. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 25, 2011, 05:30:51 pm »

Is there a way to strangle/cut throats with weapons besides slashing/stabbing them in aimed combat?  It would be cool to some sort of stealth kill for scrawny rogue characters, such as the aforementioned throat cutting and garroting.
You can strangle using aimed wrestling (hand or limb -> throat).  Once they're unconscious, you can use an aimed melee attack to cut their throats easily.  It works quite well. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4151 on: March 25, 2011, 05:35:06 pm »

I think the most appropriate way to do that would be to sneak up on a target and then, while undetected, use an aimed attack on the throat with an appropriate weapon.

Assuming an unaware opponent provides a bonus, that should work for you. I'll have to try this out in the arena with a highly skilled sneaker and a peasant.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: March 26, 2011, 02:48:40 am »

some other general lag issues
Can you specify what was fixed?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: March 26, 2011, 02:52:19 am »

Did you check on Mantis? If not, you would do well to do so. If you did and require additional information, you would do well to make your question more specific.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 26, 2011, 04:08:30 am »

Did you check on Mantis? If not, you would do well to do so. If you did and require additional information, you would do well to make your question more specific.
Yes, I checked and only "0003651: [Undeath] Ghost appearing/disappearing causes a massive slowdown" is lag related.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 342