Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677307 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2535 on: May 23, 2016, 11:10:12 am »

I think my observation post scientists have become the target of an anthropod x-com project.  Seemingly from too many abductions.

On one hand I'm amused. On the other hand, of the 5 x-com games I've played, it does not end well for the aliens. So my space ferrets are considering stopping the anal probing.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:12:01 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 23, 2016, 11:35:17 am »

of the 5 x-com games I've played, it does not end well for the aliens.
you must be a god

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 23, 2016, 11:42:45 am »

I had something interesting happen recently: while I was building up my military and divvying up my over abundance of planets by sectors in the mid game, I became the 2nd most powerful military nation; just short of another giant blob nation across the galaxy. We are quite neutral with each other considering all our fractured neighbors who were constantly fighting and consolidating only to break apart again were separating our borders.

In this state of somewhat calm status quo, a giant alien horde spawned on the border of my neutral rivals empire, quickly making them the 2nd most powerful military. They expended all their current ships to hold the horde and are currently in a constant skirmish with the invaders while the rest of the galaxy does its normal fight each other thing and I sit and research the awesome late game capital weapons (currently the Arc thingy and the Kinetic Battery).

So with this going on, some of the neutral border counties see whats going on with the horde of alien invaders and actually ask to become my vassals. I didn't think that could happen, but then again, every other nation other then my rival is considered "Inferior" or "Pathetic" in terms of military power now. And my rival was "Equivalent" in everything except technology until this happened, and now their fleet strength went from equal down to inferior.

So while I consider the diplomacy options as rather barebones, the AI behind it seems okay; to actually consider their own power to their neighbors and galactic threats and makes decisions accordingly shows some promise with future DLC and modding.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 23, 2016, 11:51:29 am »

Eh don't give unmodded ai that much credit, everyone loving player under endgame threat is hardcoded. Ppl are already exployting it by keeping the endgame menaces confined, battered but alive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 23, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

There are some fun quirks in those random events/anomalies. I really liked the one about Russel's teapot. Especially when on 2nd game I actually noticed that it is longest event (in research time) ingame... by A LOT.
Oh so that's what that was supposed to be.

I noticed there are two endings to that event.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 23, 2016, 12:26:09 pm »

Eh don't give unmodded ai that much credit, everyone loving player under endgame threat is hardcoded. Ppl are already exployting it by keeping the endgame menaces confined, battered but alive

Well, they did hate me as I as a xenophobic militaristic empire where xenos had no rights but if everyone hopping on the bandwagon is hardcoded, that sucks.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:01 pm »

I just noticed some bs. Earlier on, on lower levels i have seen my PD doing great. Now i just looked why my fleet got murdered by AI - not a single pd shot at torpedoes. I keep 1 guardian PD (t3) on each corvette and was being shot by armored torpedoes (t2, kinetic ones) of different sizes. My delay fleet of 20 corvettes was massacred by really low ammount of torpedoes before they close in without a single pd shot fired (neither graphically nor even pd listed in hit rate). The enemy however did shot down all my t3 torpedoes by using t2 pd. It annoyed me to the point i just pressed esc>exit to desktop as soon as i noticed the same thing happening in battle with my main fleet. At least lances and unbidden disintegrators make short work of anything.

edit: They do fire those PDs on enemy torpedoes only after they get to point-blank which is effin stupid for ships with 2 torpedoes, 1 pd and defensive computer to do.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 03:04:19 pm by lastverb »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 23, 2016, 03:06:43 pm »

Funaly dove in, made a human race (im a human sucker so what), sedentariste, weak with that +40 year and industrious. That +research speed goverment, hegemony oligarchy i think? with peacefull and fanatic materialist. Hard game.

Start in my homesystem, survey it and only a +2 socio research location, no other system in my influence zone... thats a good start.Couple goes by, get a gaia planet quite close so i nabbed it, but having spent years without being able to harvest ressource i fell behind bad.... Got roflstomped by an empire who hated me and must have been one of these empire who has a head start bevause his tech was much bigger than mine and had a shitton of corvettes...

Suffice to say i lost my first game quite fast. time to restart.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 23, 2016, 04:03:54 pm »

Hey, does anyone know what "differing war philosophies" mean? Can't join an alliance because of the -20 relations it gives.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2544 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:08 pm »

Hey, does anyone know what "differing war philosophies" mean? Can't join an alliance because of the -20 relations it gives.
iirc it's a militant vs pacifist thing, or a bug. I forget which

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: May 23, 2016, 04:05:53 pm »

Well, that's weird if it's pacifist vs militant, since I am neither (though my neighbours are all fanatic pacifists (execpt one who is regular pacifist, but still has the modifier)).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2546 on: May 23, 2016, 04:14:51 pm »

Well, that's weird if it's pacifist vs militant, since I am neither (though my neighbours are all fanatic pacifists (execpt one who is regular pacifist, but still has the modifier)).
Turns out it is indeed a bug. You can probably overcome it with some of the other trade deals like civilian access.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: May 23, 2016, 04:27:06 pm »

There's also a mod to flat-out remove it because it comes into play in plenty of cases where it honestly shouldn't. AI provokes you by doing everything short of DoWing you, you DoW them for a punitive war and end it quickly and cleanly? Lol -25 to all diplomacy with everyone for years to come. It makes it so that you either need to stack dipl bonuses, not give a shit about what anyone thinks of you, or never go to war.

There are some fun quirks in those random events/anomalies. I really liked the one about Russel's teapot. Especially when on 2nd game I actually noticed that it is longest event (in research time) ingame... by A LOT.
Oh so that's what that was supposed to be.

I noticed there are two endings to that event.

Are there? I've only ever gotten the "Ah, fuck it" one that gives you a decent chunk of influence after a painfully long research time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2548 on: May 23, 2016, 05:20:47 pm »

Yeah there is a rarer but super nice ending to it as well that gives some nice research boost

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: May 23, 2016, 05:50:53 pm »

Isn't there also a spiritualist only one that immediately accepts it as a sign or something?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 632