Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678244 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4005 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:03 pm »

No, they were just fine in all the wars we had. It's just that the unbidden apparently don't count as a war, for some reason, so your federation members don't realize you need help. Or something.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: January 12, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »

Allies not helping is a paradox problem in general. Honestly, I've never played a full game on a galaxy larger than 150 stars :P

which, funnily enough was my aar. w-which you guys should totally look at. not advertising, not at all :P

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: January 12, 2017, 02:17:40 pm »

Allies not helping is a paradox problem in general.
This is incorrect.

Allies are super reliable in CK2. In fact, they'll drag all their troops to help you even to their own detriment. It's why you can be some no-name loser count in Ireland, but if you somehow marry and forge an alliance with the Karlings, you can happily declare war on England as the Kaiser will bring all his troops to help you.

In Stellaris they are the same. They will bring all their troops to help you even if they don't have to. The only problem is that the Unbidden aren't "technically" at war with anyone so the AI doesn't register it as a conflict.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4008 on: January 12, 2017, 02:19:24 pm »

The problem seems to be that they don't recognize the unbidden as a threat since they're not at war with you or any other member and they don't follow the traditional warfare system. The allies help out fine in other capacities.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:23 pm »

Hum. Nevermind, then. Honestly, simply having them use something like the endless war mod and just have them declare war on literally everyone at once would be a simple fix. Maybe have occupied systems transfer after a month/when the pops are all purged to balance it out. Or something.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4010 on: January 13, 2017, 02:51:23 pm »

I really wish the Stellaris dev team would talk to the Crusader Kings dev team. Maybe the way that sectors work would inherit some ideas from CK2. Maybe the option to play as a local governor under a massive empire would get imported. Heck, maybe the option to castrate pops and marry your aunt-sister to preserve your genetics would get inherited.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: January 13, 2017, 02:56:53 pm »

Honestly, I feel like the game shouldn't take too many things from CK2. I mean, honestly yes, being a governor would be neat, but without a total rebuild of the game to work it in in a satisfying way(plus maybe finding a way to have different political entities on the same planet), I don't see it working.

but what do I know :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: January 13, 2017, 03:04:57 pm »

TBH I would enjoy Space Feudal Crusaders. DEUS VULT, ALIEN SLIME

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: January 13, 2017, 03:07:13 pm »

I never actually *played* Crisis of the Federation mod for CK2, but I heard good things.
Though obviously there's a whole lot in Stellaris that isn't in that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: January 13, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »

I did. Honestly, it was kinda... Unfinished. And seeing as it hasn't been updated since Horse Lords, it's pretty much dead.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:38 pm »

I really wish the Stellaris dev team would talk to the Crusader Kings dev team. Maybe the way that sectors work would inherit some ideas from CK2. Maybe the option to play as a local governor under a massive empire would get imported. Heck, maybe the option to castrate pops and marry your aunt-sister to preserve your genetics would get inherited.
I'm pretty sure they're aware of CK2. They just decided not to emulate it because they're such badasses that hey can make a better game without reference to anything else.

Well, we saw how that worked out and there's a different lead designer now, but some decisions are too entrenched to change even this easily. Factions are getting a workover, and that'll do part of what's gained by a CK2-like system, but making a system whereby you can (and have a reason to want to) play as a vassal or other underling? Probably not in the cards.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: January 13, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »

Speaking of Sectors, I'm annoyed at them at the moment.

Started up a new game as millitant bug people and have gone around conquering all of the primitive civs that I find. Some of them are garbage and worthy only of slavehood. Others have some good traits and will make worthy scientist underlings.

My first sector only has slave fodder, so I set it to allow slavery.

My second sector had multiple science gifted races. However, since it defaulted to slavery on after the first sector ALL of them got enslaved immediately. I quickly realized my mistake and set enslavement off for the sector, but they're all still enslaved. Even the ones dedicated to science tasks, moronically.

Which means I now have to take those planets back and fix them, one by one, and give them back to the sector to control.

What a pain. :(
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: January 13, 2017, 11:36:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure they're aware of CK2. They just decided not to emulate it because they're such badasses that hey can make a better game without reference to anything else.

Well, we saw how that worked out and there's a different lead designer now, but some decisions are too entrenched to change even this easily. Factions are getting a workover, and that'll do part of what's gained by a CK2-like system, but making a system whereby you can (and have a reason to want to) play as a vassal or other underling? Probably not in the cards.

I generally just acknowledge that Stellaris compares to Europa Universalis rather than CK2 and move on.
...although stealing a few ideas from CK2 regarding vassals banding together and overthrowing their lord, plus harder limits on Sector management, with Empire-exploding events, would certain fix that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: January 14, 2017, 03:10:52 am »

Did somebody say Deus Vult?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4019 on: January 14, 2017, 10:18:00 am »

It still kills me that you can't use cloning vats to clone pops.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 632