Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677299 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5070 on: July 13, 2017, 10:42:28 pm »

Yeah. That militarist was more like a Warhammer-esque Chaos cultist ("Blood for the Blood God!") than an actual member of the military. So I'm guessing the spiritualist one will go off about Deus Vult.

Yeah, given the nature of combat in Stellaris, that much aggression doesn't say "An appreciation of warfare is a core tenet of our culture" to me. Rather, it says "I have been chained to my captain's chair after yet another attempt to fire myself out the airlock at our enemy with swords drawn."
They could leave the lines in and just redo the defaults. Someone out there is playing Khornates that would absolutely do something that stupid.
It's also a fucking hilarious image. I just have this image of her smacking into the windows of some bird ship and they just stare at each other as she slides around the ship on the sound of squaking glass, punching away at the transparent aluminum as she does.

"Let slip the target motion analysis algorithms of protracted long-range bombardment" lacks the same ring, though.
I could totally see this being said by a Materialist though with some sardonic dryness to it though. Best coupled with a posh English accent and a cushy space-chair.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:05 pm »

I'm a little curious, actually, since I suspect there's no way it's a coincidence.  The Shakespeare quote here is basically a direct reference to Chang, scenery-chewing delivery and all.  I suspect someone on the staff was (re)watching Star Trek VI for this one. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, also, spoilers for Star Trek VI in the above in case you haven't seen it since its release in...1991?  Heavens, it's already been over 25 years?  Oy. >_< Any rate, spoilers for the final battle. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:14:57 am by Culise »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: July 14, 2017, 01:01:36 am »

So... I found out something amusing. The AI highly (over)values monthly shipments of food, and is willing to trade strategic resources and tons of minerals per month against a fairly paltry amount of food. Given my empire has a food production of +350 or so, I'm happy to make those sorts of trades.

I imagine that I'm exporting Terran junkfood to the galaxy at large, addicting alien races to greasy fast food and bad takeout.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: July 14, 2017, 05:44:17 am »

But all the complaints I've seen have been over the whole "Blood for the Blood God!" aspect. How did they get that impression?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: July 14, 2017, 06:06:14 am »

I had a look the forums.

Jesus weeps.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5075 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:13 am »

Hmm i like the womans voice, but its a bit unfitting for a disciplined military officer. If it is i don't know a Space Pirate or a bunch of Honorbound Warriors or basically what i am usually playing it would fit. But yeah as said before, a wee bit less Khornate Warrior would be nice, then again imagine this playing for your entire fleet.

It probably would be best to have two versions of the militarists, one representing a disciplined military (perhaps some posh british officer accent, or even something german accented) and one representing BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD type war hordes.

For the disciplined ones something along the lines of: "Hah, amateurs, clearly they have not studied the Art of War" - "Execute Formation Delta-3, Full Spread" - "Begin Strategic Orbital Support Fire - Collateral Damage is Acceptable" - "Contact High Command: We will be Home by Christmas"
In short an entire blue-eyed early World War I view on war would fit a disciplined militarist in my eyes.

If you go Authoritarian Militarist, something Soviety/German would fit quite well and if you have Egalitarian you could throw in Tau.

just what i would do with it though. Anyway the voices are great if a bit out of character.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: July 14, 2017, 06:47:36 am »

It would probably be best if you could select your own voice instead of it being determined by ethics. If I want my materialists to be voiced by an insane character, or fanatic militaristic with an angelic voice, I should be allowed to do that.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:11 am »

It would probably be best if you could select your own voice instead of it being determined by ethics. If I want my materialists to be voiced by an insane character, or fanatic militaristic with an angelic voice, I should be allowed to do that.
Paradox has outright stated you can.

The sexism bit is silly. Pretty much everyone who complained about the militarist voice is complaining about the line, not the actual voice actor.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:08 am »

Hmm i like the womans voice, but its a bit unfitting for a disciplined military officer. If it is i don't know a Space Pirate or a bunch of Honorbound Warriors or basically what i am usually playing it would fit. But yeah as said before, a wee bit less Khornate Warrior would be nice, then again imagine this playing for your entire fleet.

It probably would be best to have two versions of the militarists, one representing a disciplined military (perhaps some posh british officer accent, or even something german accented) and one representing BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD type war hordes.

For the disciplined ones something along the lines of: "Hah, amateurs, clearly they have not studied the Art of War" - "Execute Formation Delta-3, Full Spread" - "Begin Strategic Orbital Support Fire - Collateral Damage is Acceptable" - "Contact High Command: We will be Home by Christmas"
In short an entire blue-eyed early World War I view on war would fit a disciplined militarist in my eyes.

If you go Authoritarian Militarist, something Soviety/German would fit quite well and if you have Egalitarian you could throw in Tau.

just what i would do with it though. Anyway the voices are great if a bit out of character.

Voice it with whoever you want, but Gen. Mattis would be a pretty damn good example for the militarist lines.

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."

"You are part of the world's most feared and trusted force. Engage your brain before you engage your weapon."

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."

"No war is over until the enemy says it's over. We may think it over, we may declare it over, but in fact, the enemy gets a vote."

"I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:31:55 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: July 14, 2017, 09:04:08 am »

Yeah, I don't mind she's the voice actor, I mind that she's a Khornate blood champion. Though I like the thought of having to chain the captain to his chair to prevent trying to fly closer to hit them with his sword. :P

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: July 14, 2017, 10:08:29 am »

Khornate flavor military officer would more likely be akin to a General rather then an Admiral.   
You don't get that many opportunities to get into some good ol fashioned blood and guts on a space ship, especially when there is no boarding combat.

But yea, there are tons of different flavors of militarists out there...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: July 14, 2017, 11:10:31 am »

So what people are saying is...  Those cultural modifiers that boost fire rate...  Don't represent smashing the button faster??
:P

I could see the line in an authoritarian enough society, where the noble "in command" is so many layers divorced from the actual business of war, that they simply shout zealous nonsense (which inspires their people to greater efforts).  Or maybe in a psionic society where a "two minute hate" might actually help re-cycle the cannons faster.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: July 14, 2017, 11:51:01 am »

I prefer a professional sounding line because then they can be as villainous or as heroic as the situation demands, rather than villainous regardless.

Right now the way the line is spoken and the content of the line itself are incredibly biased towards making the militarist empires Always Evil, which just won't fit some galaxies and doesn't even match with real life half the time.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5083 on: July 14, 2017, 12:53:26 pm »

Maybe instead of being focused on how bring a militaristic has a female voice, they should instead be wondering how useless Paradox has become if they think 10 voices is enough to justify content.

This wouldn't be a problem if they had more than the amount of digits on our hands.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: July 14, 2017, 02:13:21 pm »

My impression is that people are focusing on the Khornate Acolyte type lines/impression, rather then it being a female voice.

Maybe there are a lot of people hating on the voice being a female, I just looked at the first and last page of that Paradox thread.

Either way, I don't particularly care.  As long as the other features/bugfixes work.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 632