Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677317 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5640 on: December 30, 2017, 08:19:34 pm »

Got a multiplayer game set up if anyone wants to join.  Details below.

Name: Paradox Discord
Password: disc
Server ID: 90112648141996034
Mod Pack: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1251048333
Discord for voice chat: https://discord.gg/5fjtGx5
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: January 02, 2018, 03:10:20 pm »

I don't know what the hell's happened here. Either in the month I spent not playing Stellaris I became a drooling imbecile, or the AI's suddenly getting masses of cheats.

I am constantly being declared war on. Doesn't matter that my tech's the same as theirs, doesn't matter that they're smaller, they routinely hand my arse to me because they SOMEHOW manage to get a fleet double the size of mine without going over their fleet cap (At least I assume they don't given they apparently have an actually functional economy).

Well, exception was the last war I was in. That one was lost because two guys DoWed me, and my allies thought the best thing to do was send their fleet all over the damn place trying to join up (for some reason, rather than send the individual ships to the fleet, they thought the best idea was to send the fleet to the individual ships) so that it was basically me vs. two similarly sized empires. Until the very end, where my fleet got annihilated, THEN they went "HEY GUYS! WE'RE HERE TO HELP!" and got annihilated because, as it turns out, sending in two fleet separately means that both get shredded.

Also, the AI seems to have literally limitless mineral reserves. If I manage to annihilate their fleet (usually by trapping it somewhere next to a space station and defence station) they get another whole fleet within months. It's just plain ludicrous.

And I'm in ironman, so I can't exactly cheat myself into getting a larger fleet or forcing them to accept, or even cheat myself into playing them so I can see what the fuck's going on. There's no way to do so.

Tempted to do a not-ironman game and do the latter just to see how it is they're doing this.

If you are desperate enough, then there's always Cheat Engine.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5642 on: January 02, 2018, 03:11:33 pm »

Going over the fleet cap is routine for me, it just costs extra upkeep. The AI had definitely stepped up it's game in some way though because they do seem to have very strong economies now.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: January 03, 2018, 02:10:56 am »

So, there's been a new Dev Diary (Link).  Thoughts?

Also, the game is on sale, at a percentage that buying the base game (not either of the special editions), Leviathans Story Pack, Utopia, and Synthetic Dawn is about $5 above the base price for the game.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:00 am »

Not bad, overall. I agree with all of the changes, really - attachments were a stupid mechanic anyway and clunky to implement. It gives players an incentive to build more then 20-40 ground units total at any given time, given you might realistically see losses. I'm less enthusiastic about Fortress slots. I wish they got their own row rather then taking up productive space on the planet. I think on any planet smaller then ~15, I wouldn't even bother building a Fortress.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:46 am »

Also, the game is on sale, at a percentage that buying the base game (not either of the special editions), Leviathans Story Pack, Utopia, and Synthetic Dawn is about $5 above the base price for the game.
I mean, they're not bad changes, but it's a bit like polishing a turd. I was hoping for a much larger overhaul of the ground combat system. The fact that they went less complicated and cut features instead of seeing the features through to their fullest conclusion is disappointing but sadly consistent with the general thrust of Stellaris development.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:11 am »

Not bad, overall. I agree with all of the changes, really - attachments were a stupid mechanic anyway and clunky to implement. It gives players an incentive to build more then 20-40 ground units total at any given time, given you might realistically see losses. I'm less enthusiastic about Fortress slots. I wish they got their own row rather then taking up productive space on the planet. I think on any planet smaller then ~15, I wouldn't even bother building a Fortress.
I probably won't build them anywhere outside of key frontier choke points where you can place those fancy planetary FTL inhibitors, and that only as a definite maybe.  Then again, I already don't build any defense armies unless they're on unrest-heavy worlds and those don't cost tiles.  That's how little ground combat matters right now.  It's sort of the opposite of the old joke about two Soviet tankers in Paris: two fleet admirals meet over the Contingency homeworld. One says to the other, who won the ground war?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:35 am »

I kinda like the idea of fortress worlds with planetary ftl inhibitors and tons of fortresses, just make it freaking impossible to take, actually slow down enemy fleets and stuff. Although at this point I'm kinda rooting for the changes to fail to produce a satisfactory result because I think Wiz is way too smug about them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: January 03, 2018, 08:08:45 am »

I probably won't build them anywhere outside of key frontier choke points where you can place those fancy planetary FTL inhibitors, and that only as a definite maybe.  Then again, I already don't build any defense armies unless they're on unrest-heavy worlds and those don't cost tiles.  That's how little ground combat matters right now.  It's sort of the opposite of the old joke about two Soviet tankers in Paris: two fleet admirals meet over the Contingency homeworld. One says to the other, who won the ground war?
One major oversight I see is that they're removing defensive armies so you need to build fortresses... except you can just station a bunch of offensive armies on the planet for the same effect.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: January 03, 2018, 08:16:08 am »

It was going to be a thing that you couldn't garrison assault armies on planets like that, but I guess that lead to a weird situation where you couldn't defend colonies you just took over, so now the half measure is you can garrison them on the planet but they'll be very vulnerable to orbital bombardment.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:53 am »

One major oversight I see is that they're removing defensive armies so you need to build fortresses... except you can just station a bunch of offensive armies on the planet for the same effect.

Offensive armies don't reduce unrest and are vulnerable to orbitable bombardment so it's really not the same. More of a stop-gap solution than a proper one.

While I agree with pretty much all of the changes, I also agree with Culise. Who cares who wins the ground war? As long as you have space superiority you can pretty much bombard planets to dust at will. Heck. With the new war weariness and warscore system I wouldn't be surprised if you could win some smaller conflicts simply by grinding the enemy's fleets down and blockading their planets.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:41 pm »

Actually, the gist I caught from the article is you can’t garrison with offensive armies. If they aren’t actively invading, they just stay in space in their transports... just like what I do now, honestly.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:29 pm »

They changed that shortly after the Dev Diary but didn't change the content. Here's where a Dev mentioned it on Twitter. So you can garrison with offensive armies. Just not very effectively.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: January 03, 2018, 01:31:03 pm »

I kinda like the idea of fortress worlds with planetary ftl inhibitors and tons of fortresses, just make it freaking impossible to take, actually slow down enemy fleets and stuff. Although at this point I'm kinda rooting for the changes to fail to produce a satisfactory result because I think Wiz is way too smug about them.
Even if they don't work, he'll act like they did.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: January 03, 2018, 01:36:55 pm »

I mean, they're not bad changes, but it's a bit like polishing a turd. I was hoping for a much larger overhaul of the ground combat system. The fact that they went less complicated and cut features instead of seeing the features through to their fullest conclusion is disappointing but sadly consistent with the general thrust of Stellaris development.

They are already overhauling a ton of stuff, and your reaction is 'they aren't doing enough'?  They kinda have to get an update out at some point.

As for cutting features, they kinda seem to be streamlining to have a better ability to expand the game.  Just look at how much was opened up by just limiting things to hyperlanes.  And looking at the other reactions, was there really a point to keeping the old army system as it stood?  Hell, this one could potentially be expanded to a greater degree of customization with the potential addition of different fortress paths to provide defensive armies with different focuses, with one type going for quantity provided, another for boosting damage, another for boosting health, and those latter two could be split into specializing in different ways (ie. one expands morale more than health which can be useful for fighting off psi empires) while being a hell of a lot more condensed than it would be on an army screen.

Although at this point I'm kinda rooting for the changes to fail to produce a satisfactory result because I think Wiz is way too smug about them.

I personally am driven in the opposite direction by the reactions of everyone here.

I probably won't build them anywhere outside of key frontier choke points where you can place those fancy planetary FTL inhibitors, and that only as a definite maybe.

It is stated in the Dev diary that there will be multiple tiers of fortress.  If each increases the amount of unity, then why would you not build them instead of autochation monuments?  Granted, if you are playing Spiritualist it is slightly more of a tradeoff, but still.

Offensive armies don't reduce unrest and are vulnerable to orbitable bombardment so it's really not the same. More of a stop-gap solution than a proper one.

While I agree with pretty much all of the changes, I also agree with Culise. Who cares who wins the ground war? As long as you have space superiority you can pretty much bombard planets to dust at will. Heck. With the new war weariness and warscore system I wouldn't be surprised if you could win some smaller conflicts simply by grinding the enemy's fleets down and blockading their planets.

Because now planets can flat out prevent your ships from leaving the system entirely unless captured if an FTL inhibitor is placed on them, and you can only change that with a ground invasion?  And while you could bombard the buildings to dust it would likely take a hell of a long time to do so and you can't kill all the pops on the planet unless you have a bombardment stance that seems to be available only to fanatic purifiers?

Fortresses flat out prevent the armies they spawn from being able to be damaged by orbital bombardment, and assault armies wouldn't benefit from that.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 632