Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Ptathuon Drive  (Read 7586 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ptathuon Drive
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 09:54:44 pm »

Female

Nobody (originally an indentured servent to a farmer)
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 10:27:45 pm »

Since you want to hear of the new-fangled devices which were create in this brave new time of expansion, I shall share the tale of <male engineer> and how, with the aid of only his friends, his mind, and several spare Spargods of Ice he managed to single-handedly change the course of history.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »

The young man leans against the back of the hut nonchalantly. "Fine then. ...I believe that he had been a soldier."

Meanwhile the teenager doesn't really say anything, as his device he's fiddling with backfires in his face and harmlessly covers him in soot.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:05:14 pm by Powder Miner »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 11:01:34 pm »

"I'm pretty sure it was a man, an engineer of sorts. Looking to make it possible to reach out to the stars for everyone."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 03:37:38 am »

"Aye, although I'm not really sure if he was an engineer... Wasn't he a merchant?"

((this is fun, suggesting stuff this way!))
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 03:44:13 am »

"But elda', I hea-heard it was a lady," The little girl had trouble with her "r"s but was obviouly trying her damndest to speak proper, correcting herself when she messed up. "She wasn't vewy impo- important at fi-first but she became the best at stuff! R-r-right?" The little girl gave an inquisitive look that looked almost silly on such a young face.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:42:49 am by Gotdamnmiracle »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:13 am »

Female, former soldier
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 07:24:41 am »

((...I also kind of want to pop into the Dolnar thread and tell theplayers their serisouly scrwed.))
No we aren't. I have no idea how you mean that and I will not pursue the matter. It's a separate universe.

A young woman strides into the room, deciding to enter upon hearing the commotion and the many voices within. "Storytelling, huh? Well, I'm always one for those, especially ones told by a sage. About that person, I'm most probably sure she was a woman. I remember that there was much discrimination in those days, Nobility didn't sound good at all. They don't change the world as much as intrepid commoners do.

"A Female...Engineer I guess? Mercantilism sounded well enough, but the pioneers were mostly fighters of passion and daring!" She stops speaking and moves over to the rest, leaning against the side wall and wearing an intrigued look. This story ought to be one to share!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:35:23 am by Tiruin »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 08:34:24 am »

female engineer
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 01:55:18 am »

female engineer

Yes, yes. A fine woman; strong, smart, and beautiful, she was. Yes, I remember now.

A crewman takes up the drums; the rest take up the oars. My cajoling finally gets them rowing properly. Strong, powerful strokes slash through the thick air of the upper atmosphere, leaving trails of mist in their wake, and the ship shudders- begins to move. The sky boils angrily as the prow starts to inch through. Suddenly the ship jolts forwards, and there is a sound like thunder, rattling the ship and its occupants heavily. The Drive stutters, and I can hear the clicking of individual gears, smell the fire building in the timbers.
I am left with but one recourse. I made an experimental modification to my Drive- based on some of Ptathuos' more obscure notes. I had hoped to test it in less dire straits, but it is, at this point, all or nothing.
I unfasten the appropriate lever, command the drummer drum faster. The ship now shudders with each stroke of the oars, and angry black clouds are gathering in her wake- at least if we do not breach the sky, we will be fried by lightning before falling to our deaths.

I pull the lever, and pray to Ptathuos. There is a heart-wrenching crack, and a flaming spar flies spinning out of the drive, scorching the rigging and narrowly missing a crewman's head. The Drive's whining increases in pitch- but this is good! The device spins faster, even as flames billow forth from its center. Again the ship lurches, again the sky boils- but now it splits open, revealing darkness beyond, and the ship slides through, faster, faster-
And then she is through. The sky closes behind her, and her prow falls forwards, as she comes to rest on the endless blue expanse of the outer-sky. Overhead shine the stars, bigger and brighter than ever, accompanied by the sun and moon both. Though the sky is dark, the day is bright, a confounding paradox which sets the mind reeling.
A slight breeze ruffles my hair- these solar winds make my skin tingle and send pleasant shivers down my spine.

The Ptathuon Drive stutters, and comes to a halt, scorched, cracked, broken. I weep to see my masterwork reduced to this on the first struggle of its maiden voyage. I can probably fix it, but it will take hours. Hours which, with the sun moving towards us, we may not have- all know of the tail of the voyager who flew too close to the sun; it would not do to burn to death after narrowly escaping death by falling.
I consider our courses of action.
I could try to repair the drive, at least enough to get it running, before the sun comes directly overhead.
I could order the men to row for the moon, which would mean heading towards the sun, but the shade of the moon would protect us from the sun's heat, and when the drive is fixed it would be but a short trip to resupply on the moon's surface.
I could try to rig up sails to catch the solar winds, hopefully giving us enough lift to escape the sun's wrath.

Whatever I choose, it will be dangerous. Some of the crew may perish, even if we succeed. As such, I present my options to the crew, and allow them to choose our course of action. Perhaps they might even have knowledge or skills which could grant some other means of escape.

"So, crew, what say you?"
Long Live United Forenia!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 05:08:01 am »

A thin and young oarsman speaks up while keeping with the beating rhythm. "Rig up those sails, Captain, let us ride the Solar Winds! I have a good feeling about our luck if we turn that way, for even if that fails, the winds won't blow us directly towards our dear Sun. We are ready to batten down the hatches and give our lives for you."

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 05:27:58 am »

"Aye! The winds comin' may be fierce but if we ride 'em we may stay just ahead of the storm." Is the bellow from the burly stroke on the port side. "But if ye want to fix yer contraption, I yield to me coxswains command! If she wishes we out-row this hell fire then we comply with mirth! Right ya weaklings?" A loud group yell is heard from the crew as response. " Power ten, hortator, now! Stroke! Stroke!..." The crew follows his cadence and is spurred with his voice as if it were the crack of a whip. His entire frame moves with the now rapid drumming of the hortator, every sinew in his body twisting and coiling.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 05:38:07 am »

catch the solar winds
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 07:40:04 am »

A young hauler of average build speaks up from behind the Captain, placing his cargo gently on the floor for a short moment of respite. "Captain, let us rig the sails and catch the solar winds! Besides, there is nothing for us to lose if things were to go awry; we have achieved our greatest dreams: grasping the sky!"
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 08:34:14 am »

The crew seems in favour of riding the winds. I myself profess to being curious as to whether it is possible... certain philosophers have postulated that it could be done... but I have never heard of it actually being used. Better not tell the men that, though. Wouldn't want to make them nervous. No, they must believe that I, Aello of Ireyos, am completely confident that this will work.

"Rig up those sails, Captain, let us ride the Solar Winds! I have a good feeling about our luck if we turn that way, for even if that fails, the winds won't blow us directly towards our dear Sun. We are ready to batten down the hatches and give our lives for you."
"Well spoken, Tynios! Up from those benches, help me rig these sails. We ride the winds!"

"Aye! The winds comin' may be fierce but if we ride 'em we may stay just ahead of the storm." Is the bellow from the burly stroke on the port side. "But if ye want to fix yer contraption, I yield to me coxswains command! If she wishes we out-row this hell fire then we comply with mirth! Right ya weaklings?"
"Ah, Kataramemi... as confident in space as you are on the seas. I'm glad I can count on your unwavering support! Keep the men rowing till we have the sails up- but beware; vast and blue the sky may be, but the ocean it is not. The wise sailor is not reckless in uncharted waters!"

A young hauler of average build speaks up from behind the Captain, placing his cargo gently on the floor for a short moment of respite. "Captain, let us rig the sails and catch the solar winds! Besides, there is nothing for us to lose if things were to go awry; we have achieved our greatest dreams: grasping the sky!"
"Neotypo, speak not of death! We have achieved one dream, now we have a hundred new dreams to accomplish! Come now; you and Tynios will help me rig the sails- and do so before the sun catches us, as that we may dream on!"

With Tynios' and Neotypo's help, I unfurl the sails and begin the complicated process of rigging them to catch the winds properly- a process made all the more complex by the lack of a proper way to do so.
I built my vessel in emulation of a light warship; thirty oars, fifteen to a side; single mast for a square sail in the center. However, no sails adorn my mast; I used it to hold up my Ptathuon Drive- cutting it down a little to make the drive more accessible. I took sails- strong things, interwoven with silk- but did not really consider where I might hang them.

The crew rows without pause... but the sky is a thicker medium than water, and the heat of the day grows steadily as the sun catches up with us. They begin to falter in their strokes- Kataramemi's encouragement can only push them so far. Eventually, in desperation, I tie the sails to the broken Ptathuon, then pull them down to the level of the deck. Rowers are displaced in the process- but they do not mind overmuch. With a nod to Tynios and Neotypo, I tell the rowers to stop, then pull the sails taut and hope for the best.
For an agonizing minute, nothing happens. The sails catch none of the ethereal winds, and a crewman passes out in the heat. One reaches overboard, to try to scoop up some of the sky, perhaps thinking to quell his thirst, having forgotten what medium he was upon.
I stop him just in time.
"You fool! The sky is twice as cold as ice! Your hands would freeze if you held them in it for more than a second!"
"If the sky's so cold", a crewman asks, "why's it so hot?"
"Solar rays displace the air- it repels the stuff the sky is made of. That's how sunlight gets through the sky- it pushes it aside as easily as a  boat pushing through water- as easily as these ethereal winds push through our mortal sails."
The crewman sits, dejected. "So", he says glumly, "This is it? On an ocean of ice we will die of heatstroke?"
"It's not an ocean- it's not a liquid...", I begin... but the heat is getting to me. I cannot finish correcting him.
Minutes pass like hours. The sun grows ever larger as it approaches. The sky around us seethes, and the boat begins to bob up and down. With parched lips, I say what might be my final words.
"Great. As if things weren't bad enough, now I'm going to die seasick."
Interesting how the solar winds mimic the regular winds in that they cause waves in the sky, but will not fill our sails.
...actually, that is very interesting.
Very interesting indeed.
"Eureka!", I cry- although with my parched throat, it does not sound as triumphant as it might. The crew look up- those of them who are still conscious.
I get up, stumbling across the heaving deck, and head for the ice container. I heave the rock bin out from under the prow, and open it up. The ice inside has long since melted. I motion to the crew who are still conscious, and let them splash themselves with the cool water and slake their thirsts.
I then tip the rest of the water overboard.
"If this works, we live. If it doesn't, we die. Whether to let the rest die with wet throats or live with dry ones is not a very difficult decision", I explain to the shocked crewmen. "Now, tie me a cradle for this thing."
A cradle of rope- crude, but solid, is crafted, and the ice-bin is lowered over the side. It requires some poking to actually go under the 'surface' of the sky, but it does, and quickly fills up with the bright blue [NOT A LIQUID, NEKROTHEON]. We heave it back up, and I, forgetting my own advice, cup my hands and splash handfulls of the freezing stuff over the sails. The crew join in and soon we notice the effects. The winds- which we can now all but see, ripples in the air like the haze of heat seen on distant rocks, bearing with them faint sparkles, resembling motes of dust illuminated in a beam of sunshine- the winds begin to fill the sails. Where the sky-stuff taints the sails, a violent sparking occurs, and the winds- which previously passed through ethereally- are diverted around. As more and more of the sail becomes covered, the ship begins to creak, and move- away from the sun, as promised.
My hands, by this point, had become entirely frozen into bowl-form, and the pain had worryingly seized to be sharp, and become more of a dull throb. Nevertheless, I continued- as did the crew- until every inch of the sails were covered in the sky-stuff. The ship was all but bouncing along the 'waves', and the sun- though still close, all but overhead- was no longer gaining on us.

I all but collapse from exhaustion. I feverishly explain to the crew still with me what must be done. They pull ropes and levers by my direction, and as smoothly as a bird, the ship lifts off of the sky, and speeds away from our homeworld- though slowly compared to what the Drive might accomplish, were it in any state to run.
Indeed, so slow is our travel, that we must decide on a destination at once, and not waver or slow on our way, for surely our stocks of food will run very low indeed afore we reach it. My hands are still frozen, unable to navigate the ship; again the decision falls to the crew.

We can circle around the world, and land on the moon. Previous expeditions report that the legendary tribe of Amazons- those all-female warriors who roamed the chilly southlands- exist in great number in frozen forests beneath the moon's surface. Whether they are friendly or not is not certain... but I can see the crew grinning at each other merely at the mention of Amazonians.

We go west, set a course for the Red Star- one of the wandering stars, which previous expeditions report to be inhabited by an agressive, if simple people- and rich in life and minerals, well suited for resuplying, provided we can fight off the natives.

Or we can head east, bound for the Bright Star- another wandering star, said to be devoid of intelligent life, but rich enough in game and vegetation, provided one can navigate the wind-swept canyons of its surface.

"So, crew- decide amongst yourselves, then one of you take up the tiller and set us upon a favourable course. I... am going to sleep now. Wake me up when my hands have thawed, okay?"
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 [2] 3