Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49

Author Topic: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning  (Read 78147 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - Kaiju Warning
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2023, 06:34:14 pm »

The color gradients and shading make it look like the brown ocean is actually some sort of massive dirt mesa or Rimworld-esque mountainous area. Took me a while to convince myself it was an ocean.

weird that its a different color on the minimap.
or that the minimap doesnt color the planet colors then?
Brown ocean. Hadn't thought of that.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: April 01, 2023, 08:10:02 pm »

Ah, yeah, that. Minimap has always shown colors based on type of terrain rather than the colors of terrain, seas, and vegetation on a given planet. It seems reasonable to me b/c with the lower detail it's easier to always have high contrast, which some different biospheres/chemical makeups/light wavelengths don't really provide. You'll note the other maps with different plant/ocean colors also have the default color palate on the minimap.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 01, 2023, 09:16:55 pm »

Brown oceans make sense, I was trying to figure out how a planet could have a lot of water below freezing, so water+ could generate below-freezing oceans.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 01, 2023, 10:20:51 pm »

They don't have to be brown, though. That just happened to be what this one ended up as - that's been one of the color palate options since release. I've done more than a few blue Articas as well. The "water" is just whatever it is, regardless of color.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 02, 2023, 08:11:17 pm »

Ugh. This may be the nastiest xeno I've ever encountered. It's certainly in the top 5.

Spoiler: Polymer Pumas, man... (click to show/hide)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #695 on: April 05, 2023, 04:38:56 am »

Should I get this game, even though I usually don't like Turn-Based games and like Real-Time Strategy games instead?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 05, 2023, 11:20:24 am »

...probably not? This is a very turn-based game as far as turn-based games go. It also has a steep learning curve. That said, it's a good game. You could be very pleasantly surprised by it... but if you're mostly an RTS fan, I do suspect it would be a surprise. If you're still curious, I'd recommend watching DasTactic's Youtube videos and trying to feel out if the sort of slow, methodical play this tends towards could interest you.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 06, 2023, 09:09:47 am »

Yes, definitely would 2nd, Albright's thoughts on watching a few let's play videos on the style of gameplay (DasTactic is very thorough and methodical, so consider his style on the slow side, but gives a great overview on how the game plays out, so would also recommend him). I think it's great personally, but it can be very logistic heavy, planning very carefully to ensure a future offensive will be a success rather than a click fest.

This (huge) AAR between 2 players also gives a long term overview of how a multiplayer slugfest can turn out. It's a long but fun read when you have spare time: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GuRW1RNXJmk-mm8QmOx8VEO67QhKINbr-CEY9-zU9Q4/edit#heading=h.j2add08odjbs

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 08, 2023, 10:55:47 pm »

purchased DLC even though I remain terri-bad at the base game.

new maps are interesting. maritime guild fits into the gameplay better than I expected. I suppose.. simulating all of the compounding complexities of a realistic unit-based navy WITHOUT also influencing the rest of the game so much that finely-balanced features are broken would have proved too difficult. the logistics calculations would have broken my computer I'm sure

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: April 09, 2023, 12:37:00 am »

*will break your computer when they're eventually implemented

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 30, 2023, 10:04:02 am »

Really big "fine-tuning" patch released. I don't have time to really play it, but I'm really keen on the direction of the changes - a lot of tweaks to make a planet's atmosphere play a larger role in how the game actually plays, so not all planets will feel the same. Some of that comes from e.g. increased lethality in combat on hostile planets, some comes from e.g. nerfing Demetalization. Ammo factories are finally a thing too. It seems like it may slow things down a bit, which could have the unintended consequence of making nukes more decisive, though. OTOH, it'll take longer to advance to new tech fields, and there's an even-slower development speed available, so...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 30, 2023, 04:49:20 pm »

Regarding making combat more lethal on the hazardous planets: Finally!

Seemed kinda stupid that wasn't a thing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 30, 2023, 04:57:53 pm »

My 'finally!' shout out goes to ammo factories. Like, come on.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SHADOW EMPIRE: Procedural Sci-fi 4x wargame - ERROR ERROR
« Reply #704 on: July 30, 2023, 09:09:23 pm »

Welp, they broke it with this update.  Maybe they'll make it playable again with a future patch....
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49