Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952447 times)

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5535 on: July 20, 2023, 11:12:24 pm »

Will anti piracy features be added in the future? I found that the game can be opened without starting Steam.

Pirates will pirate.  Even with anti-piracy feauters in place, playing premium DF would be as easy as copying the tileset and music files, importing them into the free version of the game, and just launching it.  Thing is, most people buying the steam version do it solely because they want to support Toady and ThreeToe!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 12:16:58 am by sofanthiel »
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: July 20, 2023, 11:19:02 pm »

Will anti piracy features be added in the future? I found that the game can be opened without starting Steam.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:22:08 pm by dikbutdagrate »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: July 21, 2023, 02:34:45 am »

how do you know dwarves need pen and ink to write
In fact, dwarves write with beards and food scraps.

Why aren't you taking this to DF Suggestions where it belongs?

Is it about writing and fishing? I'm not very sure where to put it, so I just decided to put it here. I am not very familiar with this forum.

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions limegreen[/color]

Here is the last reply from the last thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7701845#msg7701845

At the time of this thread's creation, the current plan was continuing working on bugs and smaller suggestions while integrating features important to both the magic releases and making the long wait for the magic release more tolerable, generally related to armies and villains.  Then we'll move on to myths and magic, before tackling embark scenarios and their associated frameworks (law, property, customs, status, etc.).

That's from the very first post in this thread.

The Suggestions Forum is the place to post any and all suggestions that you have for the game.  It's also the place to add your two cents concerning things that other people have suggested (and for others to add their two cents concerning yours).  just remember to read the rules at the top of the Forum before posting there.  The only time suggestions should be posted in FoTF is if they relate to current development.  You can, of course, ask when a particular item will be worked on, but don't be surprised if the answer is "We don't know".  In any case, Toady One regularly reads the threads in the Suggestions Forum (at least skimming the first post of each new thread) and takes notes.  In FoTF, he focuses on questions (marked in lime green), and I don't think he takes any notes.  TLDR, if you want any chance of your suggestion being implemented, then put it in the Suggestions Forum.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

hitorigochi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: July 21, 2023, 03:18:17 am »

how do you know dwarves need pen and ink to write
In fact, dwarves write with beards and food scraps.

Why aren't you taking this to DF Suggestions where it belongs?

Is it about writing and fishing? I'm not very sure where to put it, so I just decided to put it here. I am not very familiar with this forum.

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions limegreen[/color]

Here is the last reply from the last thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159164.msg7701845#msg7701845

At the time of this thread's creation, the current plan was continuing working on bugs and smaller suggestions while integrating features important to both the magic releases and making the long wait for the magic release more tolerable, generally related to armies and villains.  Then we'll move on to myths and magic, before tackling embark scenarios and their associated frameworks (law, property, customs, status, etc.).

That's from the very first post in this thread.

The Suggestions Forum is the place to post any and all suggestions that you have for the game.  It's also the place to add your two cents concerning things that other people have suggested (and for others to add their two cents concerning yours).  just remember to read the rules at the top of the Forum before posting there.  The only time suggestions should be posted in FoTF is if they relate to current development.  You can, of course, ask when a particular item will be worked on, but don't be surprised if the answer is "We don't know".  In any case, Toady One regularly reads the threads in the Suggestions Forum (at least skimming the first post of each new thread) and takes notes.  In FoTF, he focuses on questions (marked in lime green), and I don't think he takes any notes.  TLDR, if you want any chance of your suggestion being implemented, then put it in the Suggestions Forum.

I see, thank you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: July 21, 2023, 05:07:36 am »

no, steam DRM is not in the cards, and, in fact, I kinda want to make it so that the steam version doesn't need to have the steam_api64.dll file lying around, either? the itch.io version is DRM free regardless of what the steam version does anyway

Bottle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: July 21, 2023, 04:07:46 pm »

1. Is still the case that the map rework is required before adventure mode? This means world generation is being reworked, right?

2. Do you plan to add ways to influence world generation beyond parameters? E.g. civ placement, a "pre history" terrain editor, a way to influence the chronology of creation, design a god to be worshipped, way to more precisely choose how many of each type of civ will be added etc.

3. Any plans to add more interactions / consequences based on personalities / beliefs in the near future?

4. I understand Putnam's focus is on multi threading / performance enhancements. Once these are stable and performance is acceptable, what's her next focus? Bugs? new mechanics/New features? Adventure mode/fortress mode? Some combination?

(I know choosing the number of each civ for world generation can be done already by editing RAWS but it's cumbersome)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: July 21, 2023, 04:29:33 pm »

1. Is still the case that the map rework is required before adventure mode? This means world generation is being reworked, right?

2. Do you plan to add ways to influence world generation beyond parameters? E.g. civ placement, a "pre history" terrain editor, a way to influence the chronology of creation, design a god to be worshipped, way to more precisely choose how many of each type of civ will be added etc.

3. Any plans to add more interactions / consequences based on personalities / beliefs in the near future?

4. I understand Putnam's focus is on multi threading / performance enhancements. Once these are stable and performance is acceptable, what's her next focus? Bugs? new mechanics/New features? Adventure mode/fortress mode? Some combination?

(I know choosing the number of each civ for world generation can be done already by editing RAWS but it's cumbersome)

1. Oh dear, that was never the case, what a horror world this would be. Nah, adventure mode is definitely coming first.

4. I dunno. I'm enjoying what I'm doing.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: July 22, 2023, 03:15:23 am »

:
(I know choosing the number of each civ for world generation can be done already by editing RAWs but it's cumbersome)
1. There have been some limited map handling changes with the Premium release, but the talk about separating the map into layers that can be loaded independently to facilitate adventure mode in particular (and enable new functionality generally) is part of the map rewrite and will not be connected to the current/near future adventure mode update. It's possible the map rewrite will enable new adventure mode stuff that might be performed in post map rewrite updates, but the same is true with other future changes, such as workshop restructuring and moving "terrain". It's a cycle of providing new functionality and making use of it.
Note that I'm trying to build upon Putnam's response, not contradict it in any way.

2. DF had a horrible mouse only map editor pre Premium (I don't know if it still remains, but it probably does), and there were a number of scripts that could be used with DFHack to modify terrain (they don't work post the Premium release because they haven't been updated to work with the new UI, and they don't have a chance to be modified to work post Premium until full keyboard support has been restored to DF. It's possible that a mouse only version could be implemented by someone interested in doing that, though).

Civ placement can be affected via RAWs as well (what type of terrain a race's civs can start in and expand to).

As far a I know the intention is to allow myth generation to use player supplied pre generated RAWs instead of generating new ones for parts of the process when provided, including using player supplied deity RAWs instead of generting ones. How this pans out and whether there will be restrictions mostly won't be known until the myth implementation is actually performed, though.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: July 24, 2023, 10:51:09 am »

Now that you have a lot more money at your disposal, have you given any thought to paying scholars on things like historical crafting methods (or cooking, the tech tree, farming etc when you eventually revisit them) to consult for future changes to those respective systems?

There's a lot of cool broke nerds out there that would enjoy seeing their niche field of study and related books exposed on steam, especially as academic labor strikes start up again in the fall. But I can also understand if the studying you put in is part of the fun of your job, or if that would throw off your long term calculations for all the staff you've got now. Thanks for the answers and for the game!

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: July 25, 2023, 01:29:51 am »

Now that you have a lot more money at your disposal, have you given any thought to paying scholars on things like historical crafting methods (or cooking, the tech tree, farming etc when you eventually revisit them) to consult for future changes to those respective systems?

There's a lot of cool broke nerds out there that would enjoy seeing their niche field of study and related books exposed on steam, especially as academic labor strikes start up again in the fall. But I can also understand if the studying you put in is part of the fun of your job, or if that would throw off your long term calculations for all the staff you've got now. Thanks for the answers and for the game!

Obviously, Tarn should hire an actual wizard as a consultant come Myth and Magic.
How else will the developers know how to differentiate KAlSi3O8 from the radiant Gork metal, that has been blessed by the shining hand of Ol'Gork?

Of course, I nominate myself for the position.

Fortunately for the members of the Bay12 community, and Tarn, my services will include the provision of fine expertly crafted IRL wereworm charms, which are made out of... lets see here... the uh... Ah yes!  The finest thistle, BBQ horseradish sauce, and uhh... ordinary pocket lint! Which is all definitely not stuff that I just happened to find within the immediate vicinity, and should provide the developers with more than ample protection, in the event they are attacked by wereworms.  Which are real! And whose diets consist largely of uhh, successful indie start up developers, and people that look like Tarn Adams. (Yes, that'll do.)

As not hiring me would be insupposable, I would be only too happy to charge a usurious *cough* modest consultant's fee.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 06:32:41 pm by dikbutdagrate »

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: July 25, 2023, 12:14:12 pm »

dear Toady,

i was wondering why stone cavern floors arent color palleted per type so they match the walls

thank u. and great job on the game!

Svenor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: July 26, 2023, 01:16:57 am »

hello

i was wondering about animal alimentation, after seeing that Pandas eat bamboos in the game. i didn't have bamboo on my embark but i really wanted to have a panda zoo in this fort, so i went to the raw to make them classic grazers.
i commented the specific alimentation token and it made me wonder why animal alimentation is so simple in the game, when the code seems almost complete on this part (there is a token for specific alimentation, it goes a little beyond "grazers eat grass"). apart from grazers (and pandas and maybe other specific animals), they don't need any food or water to survive, in my forts, it often became a empty rock chamber entirely populated by pigs that i open only to bring a few of them to the butcher shop.

1- Do you intend to expend on that in the future, handling carnivors eating other animals, etc ?
2- if so, do you tie it with a major future update in particular or do you class it in a "minor tweaks" group  ?

anyway, thanks for developing this masterwork

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: July 26, 2023, 05:54:33 am »

dear Toady,

i was wondering why stone cavern floors arent color palleted per type so they match the walls

thank u. and great job on the game!

Probably because a lot of players found that annoying in order versions. People wanted floors to be homogenous, without having to pave over them with blocks. A toggle or something to display it with mineral or bedrock colors would be neat, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: July 30, 2023, 07:13:58 pm »

Will any adventure mode glitches be fixed for the steam release? For example, will the glitch where if you fast travel after being transformed into a giant animal by divination dice then exit fast travel you turn back to normal again before the week is up be fixed?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: July 30, 2023, 08:28:05 pm »

Toady has mentioned he'll be making changes, which will include fixes while working on Adventure mode.  With respect that that specific one, I'm not sure.  One of the "features" of adventure mode is that whenever you fast travel, you fully heal.  My somewhat faulty memory is telling me that this is was intentionally added because there is no reasonable way to heal in adventure mode.  Most adventures only take a couple of days and it may take months to heal something.  We have no potions of healing yet.  For that reason, fast travel mode heals you fully.  I suspect that includes the giant animal transformation.  Whether *that's* intentional or not, I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 393