Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566181 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3540 on: February 12, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »

Yes, what Askot is proposing would be utterly fantastic if we could see it.

I'd really like to see something like a diagonal layer of metamorphic stone, with veins of ore travelling in a similar diagonal band, and then have the layer above it be a horizontally-flat sedimentary stone.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:57 am »

hmmm I'm already seeing some of this in my current fort. there's soil/sand/sedimentary/flux going in a sort of "wave" on the z-axis.
Like this kinda (side view):
Code: [Select]
######~~~###
###~~~###~~~
~~~#########
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3542 on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:00 am »

hmmm I'm already seeing some of this in my current fort. there's soil/sand/sedimentary/flux going in a sort of "wave" on the z-axis.
######~~~###
###~~~###~~~
~~~#########

This usually happens when you have several different biomes meeting at map, layers are then kida erratic like this.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:52 am »

######~~~###
###~~~###~~~
~~~#########

This usually happens when you have several different biomes meeting at map, layers are then kida erratic like this.
it's actually 1 biome. I think it's already partially in (light folding and such)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: February 13, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »

IIrc if the surface changes the z level your the layer below it including Aquifers do the same. This can be a bit awkward at times in a place with hills.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: February 13, 2011, 02:14:59 pm »

That's a start, but I mean something more like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grand_Canyon_geologic_column.jpg

See the diagonal layers at the bottom with the horizontal layers stacked on top?  Yeah, like that.

Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

This is ideal.  This isn't just "the layer bends with the surface height", it's "actual geologic processes are modeled and represented in-game."

If we had things like modeling how mafic or felsic magma was, and what minerals it would produce in specific regions, so that we would have to start having that Abundance of Resources type of thing, where we would have to look for very specific geological formations to have any chance of finding that Lapis Lazuli deposit which is so imperitive to find for your Aquamarine pigments that are so valuable in trade.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: February 13, 2011, 03:51:17 pm »

I'm posting a little late, but I have personally seen animals siege a town in Adventure mode: it was in a early .31 version (before .08, because I remember I couldn't butcher anything) where a town was invaded by horses and rhesus macaques.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: February 13, 2011, 04:08:49 pm »

I have also seen animals attack, but it was a Dwarven fortress. There was goats, gophers, antmen, bears and all sorts. I attacked a mountain goat on my way there, but I don't think that provoked the attack or anything.
Blargh.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: February 13, 2011, 04:10:46 pm »

I'm posting a little late, but I have personally seen animals siege a town in Adventure mode: it was in a early .31 version (before .08, because I remember I couldn't butcher anything) where a town was invaded by horses and rhesus macaques.

I kited a wolf pack into a town once. I believe there was one or two human casualties. Does that count?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: February 13, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

> The time frame for the release is <7 days
> Just started a new fortress hours before the announcement

EVERY SINGLE TIME ::)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: February 13, 2011, 08:17:23 pm »

EVERY SINGLE TIME ::)

So?  It shouldn't be save-breaking, so just enjoy your fort, and upgrade when it's time to upgrade.

If you held off on playing because there would be a new version coming out, then you would never have played DF at all.  The game will probably never truly stop having updates until Toady either ragequits the whole thing or dies of old age.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: February 13, 2011, 08:30:36 pm »

And after that it goes Open-source (given that toady did die on oldage) and someone else like Baughn and small group of enthusiasts takes the hat.

Btw. thanks toady for the scamps picks :P he has grown up very well. He kinda reminds me of the cat i head some years ago. *sheds a tear*
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:44 pm »

whoah scamps got big
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:13 pm »

EVERY SINGLE TIME  ::)

So?  It shouldn't be save-breaking, so just enjoy your fort, and upgrade when it's time to upgrade.

If you held off on playing because there would be a new version coming out, then you would never have played DF at all.  The game will probably never truly stop having updates until Toady either ragequits the whole thing or dies of old age.
Since Toady said there was a new version coming soon, I decided to hold off for a few weeks and build up some serious apetite for Microcline.

The day I crack and give into temptation is the day I find out a new version is on the horizon. I am the worst~ :U

---

Former-Baby Scamps looks adorable, you need to post more pictures of our fuzzy-wuzzy megabeast.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: February 13, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »

... although I'm not sure actual geology works that way, though.  They shouldn't all be the same depth, but at the same time, layers are layers because they are created at different times through different geological methods.  A geode might form inside of a small pocket in the stone, but a total sphere doesn't seem like the sort of thing that should happen.

... I'm going to Wikipedia to look at how these things actually form, be back later...

Igneous intrusive formations (granite, gabbro, etc.) almost never occur in layers. If you want a good Wikipedia article with which to start, try batholith.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 342