Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717235 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #9420 on: November 13, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

Whoever made up the list of states to file petitions was a Romney Pollster.
Colorado is not a state that would abandon the Union. EVEN IF IT WERE, it would not do so with Texas.
Montana is a better choice.
Play any game of creating a "new civil war" with someone from Colorado. They always lump it with the Union. Contrast that with Texans, who almost always go with the seperatists.

On to military nessessity...
I've stated before that I served in the US Marines. I enjoyed it and would do anything for my fellow Marines, EXCEPT violate my Honor. While it is sad that there are individuals that serve in our Armed Forces that lack Honor and require civilian Oversight to do the right thing, it isn't true for all of the Military. My oath wasn't to a "scrap of paper", but to a constitution. A constitution is a codified system of government, which can be written on paper, but also passed orally. I won't defend a piece of paper, instead I would, did, and will defend a system of government founded on the Rule of Law and certain principles of universal rights. I have no problem agrreeing to risk my life for them. It's easy to follow through when I am also supporting my brothers in battle, but the initial agreement was for the principle, and the principle is how I continue to look back and judge that I made the right choice. I did not violate my Honor, and as such joined a large group of men throughout history that can show that you can be a warrior without being a monster. It's sad that fewer people are "coming back with their shields", but that doesn't mean someone who has lost theirs or can percieve themselves without it has any right to speak for those who retain theirs.

Probably a damn POGie too...

It worries me when soldiers make no reference to the people in the country that they were actually defending and how that made them feel good, rather they seem to believe that their only activity during their period in the army was "defending our constitution and our country". More often than not they're defending someone else's country. How often do you hear soldiers coming back from Afghanistan saying how proud they were to have protected the ethnic minorities and secularists and women in Afghanistan from Pashtun Taliban oppression? You'll be far more likely to hear "I defended/served my country". I'm not necessarily disagreeing with them being there, just the general attitude.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:33:46 pm by Owlbread »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: November 13, 2012, 03:16:21 pm »

Man, crazy ass sci-fi stuff has been popping out of the woodwork in the last 3 months. FTL, crystal energy (of a sort), practical synthetic hydrocarbons.

Christ, what's next? Cracking immortality by 2013?

You forgot the possible discovery of the Higgs boson.

I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: November 13, 2012, 03:22:33 pm »

The Pluto Express mission is due to get there in the near future, and The James Webb telescope is bound to find some pretty awesome things. The future being now is cool.
This is a blank sig.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: November 13, 2012, 03:25:28 pm »

And the future will be better tomorrow.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: November 13, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-woman-runs-down-husband-car-not-voting-045426220.html

Woman runs over her husband because he didn't vote, citing fears that Obama's reelection might lead to personal financial hardships... such has having a husband who was run over by a car.

You know what? it might be time for this thread to end. All we have left to do is (complain about|make fun of) the fallout from the election.
Obama won the national election with 332 electoral votes compared with 206 for Republican challenger Mitt Romney. Arizona's 11 electoral votes were won by Romney.
::)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: November 13, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »

Not seeing why secession is necessarily viewed as a bad thing. Put it to a referendum and see how it goes.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: November 13, 2012, 03:29:21 pm »

Not seeing why secession is necessarily viewed as a bad thing. Put it to a referendum and see how it goes.
Imagine what would happen to Texas's minorities if they seceded.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: November 13, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »

It's mainly just pretty hilarious to react to losing an election that way.  Kindof like the guy who takes his ball home after a goal is scored against him.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9428 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »

Isn't there always one group/state or another going on about secession? This is nothing new.

@ GreatJustice: In other words, "Screw you guys, I'm going home!", eh?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: November 13, 2012, 03:33:36 pm »

What happens to them as things stand right now, I'd imagine. The US has committed plenty of humans rights violations across the world already, I'd be surprised to see Texas one up that.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #9430 on: November 13, 2012, 03:43:25 pm »

What happens to them as things stand right now, I'd imagine. The US has committed plenty of humans rights violations across the world already, I'd be surprised to see Texas one up that.

They already do. A black man in texas is many times more likely to be sentenced to death for the same crime compared to a white man. There are the "stop and demand papers on suspicion of brown skin" laws that are already in arizona and florida that are being strongly pushed for. High rates of gay bashing. etc.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:00 pm »

They already do. A black man in texas is many times more likely to be sentenced to death for the same crime compared to a white man. There are the "stop and demand papers on suspicion of brown skin" laws that are already in arizona and florida that are being strongly pushed for. High rates of gay bashing. etc.

Okay. So as a part of the United States, Texas discriminates against blacks, Mexicans, etc. This also occurs in California and New Mexico, so it's hardly unique to Texas. It's also largely irrelevant to the question of whether the people of the states should be allowed to vote on whether they want to secede or not.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: November 13, 2012, 03:52:03 pm »

And without outside pressure, I can only see such things getting worse.
It's also largely irrelevant to the question of whether the people of the states should be allowed to vote on whether they want to secede or not.
Human rights issues are not irrelevant to questions of secession. Someone who lives in the United States should understand that, given our history.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: November 13, 2012, 03:52:35 pm »

If they are allowed to secede, then with the caveat that individual people can migrate back into the States at a later point. Just because a theoretical majority would leave the country doesn't mean that the rest has to be affected too.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9434 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »

If they are allowed to secede, then with the caveat that individual people can migrate back into the States at a later point. Just because a theoretical majority would leave the country doesn't mean that the rest has to be affected too.
Because migrating people out is easy, effective, AND doesn't harm those who are displaced, right?

*cough* trail of tears *cough*
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 714