Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104448 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #870 on: January 24, 2023, 04:57:39 pm »

Last I'd checked it was very janky, in particular if you leave basically any menu open, time pauses while it's open before suddenly taking EVERY TURN that had passed all at once right after you close that menu. No idea if that's ever been fixed since.
So Open Menu and Die. Got it

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 25, 2023, 02:56:11 am »

I wonder if they'll ever implement a feature and finish it instead of putting in half and calling it finished.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 25, 2023, 03:26:29 am »

I wonder if they'll ever implement a feature and finish it instead of putting in half and calling it finished.
I mean is there really a serious demand for this particular feature. Like, the UI makes it hard to do anything because it uses roguelike controls and nested menus. I don't think you could finish this without redesigning the whole ass UI.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 25, 2023, 03:48:30 am »

Couldn't they just make the game pause whenever you're in any menu though?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 25, 2023, 04:11:18 am »

Then you could "cheat" it by opening a menu to think. What's the point of a realtime mode then?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 25, 2023, 04:58:35 am »

Then you could "cheat" it by opening a menu to think. What's the point of a realtime mode then?
I don't see the problem as you can do that in most non-multiplayer games.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 25, 2023, 06:16:55 am »

I don't see the problem as you can do that in most non-multiplayer games.
Yeah but you could emulate the game being turn-based here and it wouldn't even be tedious due to the format.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 25, 2023, 06:18:59 am »

I'd hope that most roguelike players have enough self control that if they turn on an option in order to increase the challenge they would not then intentionally work around that challenge.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2023, 06:39:14 am »

I'd hope that most roguelike players have enough self control that if they turn on an option in order to increase the challenge they would not then intentionally work around that challenge.
Then you don't know roguelike players. :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 25, 2023, 11:42:09 pm »

IIRC the real time option was basically a joke along the lines of "people keep asking for this so we'll put it in to show how much they don't actually want it"?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2023, 04:17:53 am »

They could have at least made a working joke option.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2023, 05:53:47 am »

That's an odd way to implement a functionality : let's make it broken on purpose (the menu thing that do not pause the game is just silly considering how overcomplicated Cataclysm UI can be for some actions) so people will not use it and consider it a joke.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2023, 07:12:23 am »

Considering how much of the game time is spent looking at a menu, idk how different it would even be if it paused during menus. I feel I spend 80% of my playtime in a menu.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2023, 12:40:30 pm »

And of course, we get that instead of NPCs that are good for something other than backup rations... :<
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:47 pm »

And of course, we get that instead of NPCs that are good for something other than backup rations... :<
NPC code is spaghetti and way outside most contributors' expertise. I looked and noped out. It's ancient. Also different people would work on super complex stuff like that instead of grunt work.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 73