Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 803575 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Our Writer Only Says One Sentence, But That's Okay, ...
« Reply #3750 on: November 18, 2015, 10:29:07 pm »

i always loved my outrageously OP .50 caliber heavy machine gun from my modded fallout new Vegas game. power armored guys just exploded in a quick burst. anyone else just turned to paste in less than a second. ludicrously heavy and expensive though. not that it mattered with my 900 carry weight and hundred thousand caps.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: November 18, 2015, 10:30:42 pm »

i always loved my outrageously OP .50 caliber heavy machine gun from my modded fallout new Vegas game. power armored guys just exploded in a quick burst. anyone else just turned to paste in less than a second. ludicrously heavy and expensive though. not that it mattered with my 900 carry weight and hundred thousand caps.

Wow anti-tank machinegun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: November 18, 2015, 10:32:07 pm »

Actually an anti-materiel rifle, yeah.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: November 18, 2015, 10:36:19 pm »

I'll never forget getting to New Vegas and buying an anti-materiel rifle (fed-up to hell with the DT mechanic) and test-firing it.  My character was... not strong.
"Haha, yeah, I wouldn't do any better."
Still "rage" quit the game for a few weeks.  Though I ended up loving it for the dialogue and stories.  Combat was pretty lame though...  Snipe everything with the highest per-shot damage you can get.

Edit:  I still feel like damage threshold should have been limited to power armor.  And I guess the butchered abominations worn by the NCR elite.

Sometimes I wonder why I even supported the NCR...  Oh yeah, they were cool in FO2 and the Legion was pants-on-head retarded and evil.  Missed opportunity.
(I would have sided with House, except that my brother did first)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:39:16 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 18, 2015, 10:44:48 pm »

It is because while the NCR aren't perfect, they are a necessary evil who do have genuine altruistic tendencies.

While House is just an egotist who will help no one but himself...

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: November 18, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »

Actually an anti-materiel rifle, yeah.
actually a belt feed machine gun like the ones mounted on vehicles with an ammo box.

this one
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
it was glorious

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »

What is funny is that with a gun like that. Decreasing its weight is the last thing you want to do...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:54 pm »

About Gauss Rifle, is it really worth it carrying one around (unless it's a legendary)?
I stole one but I think I can fire 2 shots from a hunting rifle which is more effective than the Gauss.
Then again, I didn't even mod it because it seemed stupid compared to my 160 dmg x 2 (plus bonuses) legendary plasma rifle.  8)

Damage feels really weird. Since you guys are talking about it, why the 5.56 mm Assault Rifle seems to ditch more damage than a .50 cal hunting rifle?
I feel more ignorant than I ever was. Not that I ever knew much about firearms and ammunition, though.

PS: It's also hilarious that I can 1 shot most things, but if I use an automatic weapon it takes probably 100+ ammo. Semi-auto / Auto perks feel very weird.
I'm also curious if the Commando (automatic gun damage bonus perk) also applies to the vertibird minigun.

Gauss rifles are fucking amazing. Modded out you get 20 shots before reloading, with a couple perks you're doing upwards of 300 damage per shot, and it's a charge weapon. If you're going to snipe, the Gauss rifle is top dog.

Fluffwise I'd argue that it's because the .50 hunting rifle is just that--a .308 hunting rifle upchambered for the larger round, rather than the AM rifles which people associate with the round. Mechanically, I'd say a combination of nerfed sneak damage, no random crits, and tougher targets. It's one of the reasons I really like FO4: Bethesda is finally getting away from the usual paradigm of sneaky characters that do alpha-strikes with super high damage modifiers being the optimal build. Sneak damage only scales up to 2.5x, crits are only in VATS (which is inherently close-ranged), and a lot of the longrifles "feel" like they take longer to cycle between shots.

Basically you've got a bunch of new paradigms that are now as good or better than the usual one:
1. LUCKmeister who abuses VATS and crits to no end.
2. Melee character who does the same.
3. Skill-based melee oriented around mobility.
4. Rambo, full auto and explosives spam. (I used more grenades in the first six hours of FO4 than I did in the entirety of FO3 or NV.)
5. Mid-range skill-based marksman, because the semi-auto DMR-build rifles are pretty damn strong if you can control the recoil and use cover properly.
6. SPEHSS MUHREEN TERMINATUH

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: November 18, 2015, 10:59:21 pm »

Eh? Ranged sneak attacks do up to 3.5x with all three ranks of ninja, and can go as high as 5.25x with Mister Sandman if you use a silenced weapon. Melee gets up to 10x. Though sneaking does seem a little less OP. Enemies seem a little more alert this time around.

And grenades. Grenades everywhere. Explosives feel better to me now, but raiders sure do seem to love their molotovs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: November 18, 2015, 11:02:04 pm »

Hmm, interesting. Now I need to find where I put that Gauss Rifle.  :P

I'm the mid-range skill based guy, but when it gets to close range I just use the silenced Assault Rifle which, at level 52 rank 5 rifleman, makes that "spit" noise and does 98% of damage to most things not-south of the map. It's extremely funny.

For serious things the 2x plasma sniper does the job. But I want something even more absurd. Probably Gauss is the way to go.

E - Random: I've never been so paranoid and anxious about missing a magazine and a bobblehead...I think it's weird when I go to a major place and I can't find any..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: November 18, 2015, 11:02:47 pm »

Though sneaking does seem a little less OP. Enemies seem a little more alert this time around.

Well if you get all the sneaking perks and the sneaking magazines... It is probably just as ethereal.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: November 18, 2015, 11:04:18 pm »

It is because while the NCR aren't perfect, they are a necessary evil who do have genuine altruistic tendencies.

While House is just an egotist who will help no one but himself...
I... basically agree with the first part.  The NCR represented a bureaucracy which, while inefficient, was altruistic.  There was a chance that it could learn from the mistakes and evils of the former regimes.  Particularly if heroes arose to "deal with" certain evil groups within it.  It's complicated, but it also established a new nation with trade routes and division of labor.  The big-government idealist path.

But House was good!  He... Embodied the pre-war libertarian ideal.  Which I have a lot of respect for, even though I believe it's wrong.  I was tempted to follow him for the wrong reasons, actually.  I thought he'd make a good dictator, brilliant and impartial.  But that was foolish, because his entire strategy is laissez-faire.  Frankly, the gangs he put in place were made of morons who would inevitably ruin everything without radical restructuring.

He was good, but it wouldn't have worked in my opinion.  Which helped my decision... Though it pained me.  He had such grand hopes for humanity.  More hopeful than the NCR, but less practical.

Meanwhile the Legion feels like a missed opportunity.  But thinking about it, I'm not sure what else it should have represented.  Xenophobia?  Check.  The savagery of the agrarian tribes versus the technology of the developed coast?  Check.  The big fault is that it, for some reason, took a giant radioactive crap all over the women.  Which didn't make any in-universe sense, and simply drove home that they were teh evil.  The developers came so close to making an interesting third faction, but then went too far.

(Not to mention that the karma system took sides, which also was unfortunate)

Fakedit:  Huh, sorry.  That got away from me a little.  Fun topic (:
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 18, 2015, 11:25:48 pm »

The Legion was supposed to be incredibly Militaristic who basically cuts a bloody swath across everywhere they touch.

Yet once your in, they treat you incredibly well and are much less corrupt then the NCR.

The Legion, if they worked, are a "Ends justifies the means" where you get a vision of what a Legion run America would be like, which is a bastion of culture and liberal progress... Yet you know that they will only achieve this through the slaughter and subjugation of all those that stand before it.

While the NCR are compromising but corrupt. They aren't perfect and are sort of a faded version of American idealism. They aren't into converting people at the end of a gun but are rather a "if you want our aid, you will have to join up".

While House is more about independence, whether or not Vegas should remain untouched and neutral in this even at the expense of everyone else.

---

The issue is... of course... that The whole Legion section of the game (both of them...) were cut from the game.

So all you got was a very weird psychological genocide made to make people afraid of the Legion in order to make people surrender.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:28:16 pm by Neonivek »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: November 18, 2015, 11:41:43 pm »

Turns out I was EXTREMELY wrong about Gauss Rifles. Holy shit 400 damage.
Dem mods <3
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 18, 2015, 11:47:59 pm »

Neonivek, you are always interesting and I enjoy your posts.
The Legion was supposed to be incredibly Militaristic who basically cuts a bloody swath across everywhere they touch.

Yet once your in, they treat you incredibly well [cut]
This pretty well describes the NCR as well.  Expansionist to a fault, seeking to cover everyone in their banner...  Using military force when necessary.  I like them, but I have no doubt that they intend to reclaim the United States, if they're able, and then to go even farther.

The Legion's motives are more nebulous.  The tribes were fine with isolationism for nigh 200 years, but then this guy comes along and whips them into a conquering force.  What are Caesar's goals?  World conquest or...  Getting revenge on the Followers?
and are much less corrupt then the NCR.

The Legion, if they worked, are a "Ends justifies the means" where you get a vision of what a Legion run America would be like, which is a bastion of culture and liberal progress... Yet you know that they will only achieve this through the slaughter and subjugation of all those that stand before it.
I... I don't follow this.  In what way are they at all liberal/cultural?  To me they represented the exact opposite, literally.
While the NCR are compromising but corrupt. They aren't perfect and are sort of a faded version of American idealism. They aren't into converting people at the end of a gun but are rather a "if you want our aid, you will have to join up".
Absolutely, 100%.  Which is why I understand when people avoid the NCR - it has every sign of becoming a new Enclave.  IE, the Fallout USA: a corrupt imperialistic bureaucracy.
While House is more about independence, whether or not Vegas should remain untouched and neutral in this even at the expense of everyone else.

---

The issue is... of course... that The whole Legion section of the game (both of them...) were cut from the game.
Yeah... A real shame.  With "Lonesome Road" I have a chance to go check out the Legion heartland a little... Sadly, it's a radiated hellhole (;

So all you got was a very weird psychological genocide made to make people afraid of the Legion in order to make people surrender.
Sorry, honestly, I don't understand this sentence.  I might be too sleepy/inebriated.

Turns out I was EXTREMELY wrong about Gauss Rifles. Holy shit 400 damage.
Dem mods <3
I want 400 damage ;_;
Even glancing over the mod options for basic energy weapons, I already know I want to keep leveling SCIENCE!
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 462