Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 136

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 183373 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Burn, baby, burn
« Reply #735 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:52 am »

This is like an alcoholics anonymous support group hehe.

"Hi, I'm Umi and I've been burned by Starbound."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 23, 2015, 12:37:26 am »

Can I be the furious, rambling burnout that sits in the corner trying to burn holes in people with my disappointed glare?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 23, 2015, 01:36:15 am »

They're actually working on actual vehicles (as in, not techs) right now. They're pretty cool.
They started a week or so ago, and the progress is pretty visible.

Apparently the devs are also definitely adding in multi-person vehicles.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 23, 2015, 02:35:35 am »

Pre-emptive sorry, this isn't trying to stomp on anyone or mouth off, I'm just so damned depressed by this whole fiasco.

Yes, I read their updates.  That isn't the point, the point is that right now, all of the necessary framework is in place, and the assets can clearly be created, for such a vision as: four mech equipped players to land on a fortress world, tear it's defenses to pieces, loot the place while terrified civilians run from them and generally have a blast actually doing something other than grind ores or build houses.

And instead the devs just keep plodding along with these infuriating missions (I still can't take the damned Erchius horror, but all the others I can handle with even hugely out-of date gear), and some 'mysterious' story elements that have so far failed to actually make any impact on the game whatsoever.

They have an exceedingly powerful procedural generation engine at their fingertips, but they seem intent on using it to make 'grind this ore now' the game.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 23, 2015, 03:00:52 am »

Hey NullForceOmega, don't worry. I feel you.
Starbound sucks. And it's okay.

But hey, maybe in two years it will be finished with all those nice features you want!
And I'll probably have finished Fallout 4, No Man's Sky and quit gaming except for DF by then.

Sometimes I wonder if "what hype hypeths hype hypeths away" and if we are all being too nice because we like games and their development too much.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 23, 2015, 03:24:54 am »

Sometimes I wonder if "what hype hypeths hype hypeths away" and if we are all being too nice because we like games and their development too much.

Maybe it's just the belief that the game was going to expand beyond Terraria, beyond the simple monster whack-a-mole and home furnishing simulator. And it hasn't. You can spend a lot of years hoping a developer is going to do something that surprises and delights you. Seems like so many games now are about adding +1 to something you already have in game. Another monster to bash. Another resource to farm. Another tier of something to get. Another boss just slightly more absurd than the last one. It's like D&D logic is now embedded so deep in the gaming zeitgeist we don't even see it anymore. Make a tepid sandbox, throw some stuff and tiers in there to create some pacing and voila: game.

It's kinda why I've stayed fascinated by DF development even though I only play it once every couple of years. Always something different, outside of the D&D schema, happening with it.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:08 am »

It has to do with more how Starbound's team presents itself.

Terraria there was an idea of a genuine attempt to make a great game... in the end they couldn't pull it off but their goals were never viable.

While with Starbound you get this idea that there was this great game under the hood they were planning to make. But then decided to create a watered down version and concentrate on all the wrong areas.

For example the current major Starbound project? Penguin Plushies

Starbound's team has this very "Fluff is feature" attitude that pushes my buttons in all the wrong ways.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 23, 2015, 03:46:04 am »

While with Starbound you get this idea that there was this great game under the hood they were planning to make. But then decided to create a watered down version and concentrate on all the wrong areas.

Or their talent simply wasn't the equal of their dreams.

Starbound's team has this very "Fluff is feature" attitude that pushes my buttons in all the wrong ways.

I pretty much came to this when I saw the races, and the starship.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #743 on: October 23, 2015, 11:10:45 am »

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Hence the continual stream of "lol look at this little thing I made on Saturday afternoon" content and the reductive trend in the updates to main mechanics.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #744 on: October 23, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

Best description ever.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 23, 2015, 01:23:23 pm »

They also lost almost everyone doing the actual game mechanics and replaced them with artists. Nothing wrong with artists, but they're not really trained for mechanics and engine work.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

HugoLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 23, 2015, 01:29:51 pm »

Judging by the stuff already in it, it should really be possible to mod this game into something much cooler than it is. Which is not to say the Devs aren't wrong, but perhaps someone with enough time/effort could take matters into their own hands.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine {Active again?}
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 23, 2015, 02:06:20 pm »

The first thing that would need to be done is the addition of new types of civilized worlds, worlds that are entirely devoted to a single 'race', no monsters appear anywhere, guards and static defenses are present in force, and would need to have absolutely amazing loot tables.  After all, the game already establishes that the player is an outcast (or in the case of the humans, everyone is refugee) so why shouldn't players be able to use that to their advantage?
Next would be the addition of something very much like the (outdated and since the code change apparently very hard to get working) XS mechs mod (and some other vehicles/heavy weapons platforms) so that players would stand a chance of actually surviving an attack on such a world.
You'd probably need some new guard sprites and AI (have them using mechs/vehicles as well) and that would probably do the trick.

If I had the slightest bit of coding/scripting ability, I could probably work it out, but evidently that is beyond my capacities.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:33 pm »

Maybe it's just the belief that the game was going to expand beyond Terraria, beyond the simple monster whack-a-mole and home furnishing simulator. [...]

I agree completely. I probably mentioned this somewhere else, but I have an RL friend who defends Starbound to death (and he's an aspiring artist..and he never plays the game...hm..), and when we played it, I'd randomly get annoyed and say "This is Terraria. Why are we supporting this?", which his reply would always be "They are working on it!"..

This Starbound stuff would get me pissed back then, but now I find it hilarious. And now I understand why. I don't see the project going anywhere, and die hard fans give the devs free pass for the constant Caturday content. Also, this:

Thanks Flying Dice for almost killing me when I was eating cereal.  :P

Judging by the stuff already in it, it should really be possible to mod this game into something much cooler than it is. Which is not to say the Devs aren't wrong, but perhaps someone with enough time/effort could take matters into their own hands.

I used to think the same thing, then I tried the most popular mods. The best ones would add some vehicles (like a bulldozer for people who hate spending a week digging) and one that was made by a newbie modder, but had "sort of" a research tree. And would unlock some cool little machines like a Hydroponic thing to grow seeds quicker and some stuff like that.

There also was a huge content mod, and even though the good amount of new planet types, resources, armor and gear was added, it was just expanding on the same eternal and ever-present Terraria formula.
So I'm not sure if mods can really "fix" (like Fallout/Skyrim mods than can completely overhaul almost any aspect of the game) or just add things.

I'm still not sure if everyone who expected more (including me) is at fault, or if they actually promised this Not-Terraria-In-Space and didn't deliver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #749 on: October 23, 2015, 02:44:32 pm »

Honestly they would have been better just removing all of the arbitrary tier gateways. Someone wants to jump straight into super-dangerous worlds right from the start? Sure, go ahead! Want to hang about on starter-tier worlds forever? Equally okay, but don't expect to find much in the way of high-end ores or loot! Also, all players have the same single-player coordinate system like they used to, so that people can share good finds.

Then just tack more interesting content (NFO's point about fully civilized worlds in particular--in the sense of meaningful expansions of the game, not new vanity items and shit) on top of that, paired with improved and more varied AI and weapons. Instead they kept redoing the basic framework of the game over and over, making it worse every time.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 136