Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804267 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Robots, Cages and Islands
« Reply #5490 on: February 25, 2016, 09:33:41 pm »

Survival Mode is PERFECT except for save points (what is this, 1995??) disabling fast travel, and disabling enemies on your compass.  Like, with all the quests that take you halfway across the commonwealth, why in god's name would they make you walk the whole way?
The latter two of those sound awesome!
Is this coming out around the same time as the DLC, or what? I wasn't paying attention until this post.
I hate fast travel so very much, but I get too impatient to not use it when it's available. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: February 25, 2016, 10:53:53 pm »

I would definitely disable fast travel if I could still do it along supply lines, and especially if there was a mechanism for random encounters.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: February 26, 2016, 12:15:39 am »

Sent my girlfriend the link for the survival mode stuff. She goes "So it's like first person Sims."

I dunno how I feel about how close that is to accurate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: February 26, 2016, 01:44:08 am »

Yeah, the save game and fast travel stuff makes it a no use for me. Bethesda's games are notorious for corrupting auto and quicksaves, and I've got no reason to think it would be different in this one.

As for fast travel, the game just isn't designed to be used without it. I often go for long stretches without fast traveling, but the thought of having no fast traveling at all sits ill with me - skipping uninteresting downtime through already explored areas isn't "unimmersive".

It looks like they combined hunger and thirst into one meter? I guess that could be alright. I like the ammo weight stuff, but then again I already drop ammo and drugs off at my base so I don't carry too much of either at the start of every outventure.
Love, scriver~

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: February 26, 2016, 07:26:52 am »

I don't know how I feel about the effect lack of fast travel will have on settlement defence.
Those guys really should be able to defend themself without needing me to bend spacerime to get there immediately. Speaking of, I just had my first settlement attack, I lost 1 of the 2 guys at ten pines bluff but got an awesome .38 spamming death cannon from a super mutant, so I can finally get rid of those formerly useless ammo.
I might as well start building defences in places other than sanctuary..... I suppose....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: February 26, 2016, 07:58:59 am »

1. Go to merchant with X,000 .38 ammo.
2. Sell .38 ammo.
3. Profit.
Black lives matter.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: February 26, 2016, 02:13:00 pm »

I disabled a lot of settlement stuff in my game because there's way too much shit with it.

I made surgeries give like.... 1000 happiness so I don't have to deal with that shit where if you don't show your face in a settlement after awhile, its happiness starts dropping rapidly.

I disabled settlement attacks completely. I was tired of having to rescue every single settlement every 10 seconds even though they all have more than 200 defense levels each (I have every single settlement in the game, which means neverending attacks).

I removed all settlement build limits, because fuck that shit.

Of course, there are still a ton of bugs regarding them. I have to console move settlers way more than I want to after they get stuck somewhere or bug off the face of the earth. I have to manually move the special named NPCs because they're bugged to not show up as well. I have to manually remove corpses, goo piles, etc. because they're permanent for some reason. I still have the issues where occasionally settlement stats can go haywire even though I no longer have any TVs are anything that should be causing the problem.

Settlements are a complete shitshow.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: February 26, 2016, 02:36:51 pm »

Settlements are unsettling.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: February 26, 2016, 04:16:18 pm »

I disabled a lot of settlement stuff in my game because there's way too much shit with it.

I made surgeries give like.... 1000 happiness so I don't have to deal with that shit where if you don't show your face in a settlement after awhile, its happiness starts dropping rapidly.

I disabled settlement attacks completely. I was tired of having to rescue every single settlement every 10 seconds even though they all have more than 200 defense levels each (I have every single settlement in the game, which means neverending attacks).

Of course, there are still a ton of bugs regarding them. I have to console move settlers way more than I want to after they get stuck somewhere or bug off the face of the earth. I have to manually move the special named NPCs because they're bugged to not show up as well. I have to manually remove corpses, goo piles, etc. because they're permanent for some reason. I still have the issues where occasionally settlement stats can go haywire even though I no longer have any TVs are anything that should be causing the problem.

It just works.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #5499 on: February 26, 2016, 05:18:37 pm »

Build limit aside, what mods (or console commands) did you use for the happiness and attacks "fixes"?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: February 26, 2016, 07:07:38 pm »

I don't think settlements are a complete shit show.

They're just very Bethesda. There's a lot of emphasis on granular management with little to no pay off for doing so other than aesthetic satisfaction (which admit it, their fanbase has basically confirmed that is at least 30% of what the ultimately give a shit about.)

Unlike say, survival, I think settlements are a good baseline system for modders to work on. A good settlement assault mod would immediately make all work you put in actually worth something.

Yeah if you have zero interest in construction and such, Settlements seem like a giant waste of effort by Bethesda. But in terms of extending (or padding) playtime for a lot of their players, I think it's a success. I know I'd probably be done with FO4 already after 108 hours if I hadn't spent probably 20 or 30 of those faffing around building walled settlements or my own personal 10-Penny Tower.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: February 26, 2016, 07:51:47 pm »

-x-
Build limit aside, what mods (or console commands) did you use for the happiness and attacks "fixes"?
Hmm... here's my mod list for settlements:

1. Better Generators
2. Better Vendor Stalls
3. Brighter Settlement Lights
4. Craftable Floor Supports
5. Happy Pills
6. Higher Settlement Budget
7. No Settlement Attacks
8. Quieter Settlements
9. Scrap dead things
10. Shaikujin's Better Alerts
11. Working Food Planters

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: February 26, 2016, 09:59:22 pm »

Survival Mode is PERFECT except for save points (what is this, 1995??) disabling fast travel, and disabling enemies on your compass.  Like, with all the quests that take you halfway across the commonwealth, why in god's name would they make you walk the whole way?
The latter two of those sound awesome!
Is this coming out around the same time as the DLC, or what? I wasn't paying attention until this post.
I hate fast travel so very much, but I get too impatient to not use it when it's available. >.>
Why do you hate it? It's a feasible not-bullshit way to get around Bethesda's classic fuckhueg map.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:09 pm »

It progresses time realistically, in NV it progressed hunger as well... The only downside is you don't discover anything between your location and destination (which I personally excuse as the character being too focused on travel to notice anything else).
Black lives matter.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: February 26, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »

Trying to get from point A to point B without quick travel in a Bethesda game is like trying to get from your house to your workplace while being forced to go thru the front and back doors of every person in town that you've ever met along the way.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 462