Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804314 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6585 on: December 12, 2016, 09:53:15 am »

Eh, any of them would be perfectly sustainable and good for the Commonwealth if they made some changes and opened up the treasure trove of Institute tech to the people.

Except the Railroad but they're kind of one-note and really rather pointless without the Institute. Additional scribes for the BoS/tech department for the Minutemen maybe?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:54 am »

Yeaaah. I dunno. Honestly, I'm kinda tired of the isolationist/mysterious organization being the bad guys :v

Can't tell you how happy I was when New-XCOM's council wasn't going to turn out to be evil. But in most cases, even if they're good guys starting out, it's just a matter of time until that group because totally evil in a really unexpected plot twist :P

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:55 am »

The Institute would likely survive, but the amount of 3rd gen Synths being produced per minute is kind of.. worrying.
What would happen if they all decided to turn against their creators all at once? Even if there are counter measures, the chance is still there.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:07 am »

Also let's not forget the whole "manufacturing sentient life forms and having them as indentured servants with no chance at freedom" thing.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: December 12, 2016, 10:33:48 am »

What's weird is that they gave the synths capacity for desire, emotion, and other things generally inconducive to indentured servitude, then made them indentured servants.
Black lives matter.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: December 12, 2016, 10:42:48 am »

Not all countries were very hard hit by the Apoc. Australia probably was barely targeted.

Though once again I would LOVE for a Fallout game that didn't take place in the USA... and honestly why not? It isn't like they want to continue the story in America (as they go out of their way to undo setting progression...)
Because the 50s cheesy american aesthetics and cold war paranoia are an integral part of the look and feel of Fallout.

A Fallout game taking place anywhere else on the globe would be immediately bereft of its immediate visual identity (and don't give me no rubbish about how this is a Fallout 4 trend, it's been a vital part of the franchise since the first game).

Take away the 1950s aesthetic and the american approach to the cold war paranoia and the franchise is entirely unrecognizable. Fun setting to explore in a DLC, perhaps, but not in a main series game.

(Besides, how much do you wanna bet that instead of looking up interesting artistic styles and ways to innovate they'd just stick Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, Vault-Tec and all the fan favourite things into the locale and just rebrand them slightly.)

Man... I sure wouldn't want to see what a "England forced to keep a 1950s, or some other nostalgic time period, aestetic with sci-fi futurisms being used unironically"... or Japan... Or China... Or Australia... Or Canada...

That would just be boring and ENTIRELY against the setting... and as we ALL know... no setting has ever expanded or delved into other aspects of its mythology.

But I understand... There are PLENTY of other games that do that in a post apocalyptic setting like Stalker... and... Stalker... and Yeah pretty much only stalker.

Man... All these good ideas would be terrible! Lets not do them!

Instead lets just have Fallout 5 take place 100 miles away from the last... 100 years in the future... Have absolutely nothing change... Have the Brotherhood of Steel be jerks again... and nothing advance ever! Muuuuch better!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:45:10 am by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: December 12, 2016, 10:58:19 am »

Wow I am bitter and snarky... uhhh... I won't change what I wrote because well... it isn't like what I said isn't true...

But holy goodness I was being rude so forgive me for that.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: December 12, 2016, 11:08:12 am »

The problem is, a retro-futuristic 1950s England isn't Fallout. It's We Happy Few. That isn't a bad thing, and all the other ideas are good, but they'd be better as solo games.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: December 12, 2016, 11:19:15 am »

It does not really need to be Fallout, though. Fallout could be Fallout (and go to whatever weird directions take their fancy), and the others could be their own IPs. It would probably be best for everyone. They could, and would probably benefit from, wearing their spiritual heritage quite openly, and be unashamedly similar in themes and design, but that would free them to do their own things, as well.
Even better, some could be isometric, turn-based RPGs, like what the Old Believers want.

I appreciate this is just one step above the "Why, make it yourself, then!" arguement, but I think that would be the best way. I'd like to see it, and with only the broadest beat of Fallout (alternative future as imagined in the 50's and global atomic war), there is a lot of canvas to fill in.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6594 on: December 12, 2016, 11:21:12 am »

What's weird is that they gave the synths capacity for desire, emotion, and other things generally inconducive to indentured servitude, then made them indentured servants.

I think it's unintentional and unnoticed, several Institute NPCs say that Synths do not feel or think, just simulate doing so.

When freshly made or mind wiped they have no personality beyond whats' programmed into the mechanical bits of their brain, but they seem to develop from there like a child would, piecing things together from experiences and memories.

They were made to learn and emulate humans, it's necessary for them to learn complex tasks, combat skills and infiltrate societies. The Institute just doesn't think they've gotten past the simulation stage of things, which is actually kind of reasonable, when you can program something to feel or not feel emotions, to think of others as family members despite being wholly unrelated, create an entire fake mind even, why should you think any of the things they claim to feel are more than just glitches in the programming?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: December 12, 2016, 12:30:43 pm »

Not all countries were very hard hit by the Apoc. Australia probably was barely targeted.

Though once again I would LOVE for a Fallout game that didn't take place in the USA... and honestly why not? It isn't like they want to continue the story in America (as they go out of their way to undo setting progression...)
Because the 50s cheesy american aesthetics and cold war paranoia are an integral part of the look and feel of Fallout.

A Fallout game taking place anywhere else on the globe would be immediately bereft of its immediate visual identity (and don't give me no rubbish about how this is a Fallout 4 trend, it's been a vital part of the franchise since the first game).

Take away the 1950s aesthetic and the american approach to the cold war paranoia and the franchise is entirely unrecognizable. Fun setting to explore in a DLC, perhaps, but not in a main series game.

(Besides, how much do you wanna bet that instead of looking up interesting artistic styles and ways to innovate they'd just stick Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, Vault-Tec and all the fan favourite things into the locale and just rebrand them slightly.)

Man... I sure wouldn't want to see what a "England forced to keep a 1950s, or some other nostalgic time period, aestetic with sci-fi futurisms being used unironically"... or Japan... Or China... Or Australia... Or Canada...

That would just be boring and ENTIRELY against the setting... and as we ALL know... no setting has ever expanded or delved into other aspects of its mythology.

But I understand... There are PLENTY of other games that do that in a post apocalyptic setting like Stalker... and... Stalker... and Yeah pretty much only stalker.

Man... All these good ideas would be terrible! Lets not do them!

Instead lets just have Fallout 5 take place 100 miles away from the last... 100 years in the future... Have absolutely nothing change... Have the Brotherhood of Steel be jerks again... and nothing advance ever! Muuuuch better!
Way to miss my point entirely  :P

The point isn't that these periods aren't interestiong or wouldn't be interesting, it's that they're so far removed from what makes Fallout Fallout that they might as well be other games entirely. In fact they should be other games entirely.

You don't need to attach Bioshock or We Happy Few to Fallout. Let them do their own thing. Like even as "offshoot" games from the main series. Do not attach unique IPs to a pre-existing franchise because that reeks of desperation and insecurity about your own creations.

edit: also you do know that you can do unique stories within Fallout's america without involving the BoS or have it look exactly the same as the previous games right? America is a big place and the only reason why the BoS is in every Fallout game is because they have been ruled an essential part of "the brand" by the developer. Just like Super Mutants. There's no reason why these two things should be on the East coast. you know that, right? The only reason why they're there is because Bethesda decided that it wouldn't be a Fallout game without them so they stuck them there.

Which means any game in the franchise made by Bethesda will feature those two things somehow. Which means that you will never get a "unique" or "new" experience, you will get the same set pieces rebranded as something else because that's how Bethesda rolls.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:38:55 pm by Krevsin »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: December 12, 2016, 03:02:07 pm »

also you do know that you can do unique stories within Fallout's america without involving the BoS or have it look exactly the same as the previous games right?

I know... But while setting it in Japan would force Bethesda to do something new...

And lets face it... Bethesda has sort of made it clear what they want to do with the franchise... Keep it the exact same.

Which is kind of funny because the original scrapped Fallout 3, while still in the USA, was also different taking place in endless deserts and utilizing a bit more technology then the previous games. They did this crazy thing and advanced the setting, did something different, and what have you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: December 12, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »

also you do know that you can do unique stories within Fallout's america without involving the BoS or have it look exactly the same as the previous games right?
I know... But while setting it in Japan would force Bethesda to do something new...
A noble sentiment, but you couldn't force Bethseda to something new if you set them on fire.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: December 12, 2016, 03:09:40 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. Let's set them on fire and see!

Fallout 5: China would be great, if it had mostly new stuff with powerarmor and such being rare.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: December 12, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »

I'm not so sure about that. Let's set them on fire and see!

Fallout 5: China would be great, if it had mostly new stuff with powerarmor and such being rare.

Knowing Bethesda, we'd be Americans stuck in China and half the initial plot quest is learning Mandarin. And the plot would get really weird, really fast. I'm talking it starts: "Help our village against the raiders! 帮助我们!" to "YOU DIRTY AMERICAN, PREPARE TO FIGHT THE GHOST OF CHAIRMAN MAO!"
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 462