Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 808167 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: It Just Works
« Reply #6570 on: December 12, 2016, 05:20:25 am »

It helps that the institute is stupid...

Considering the other factions, that's kind of par for the course.

Ok I will admit that NO ONE looks good in Fallout 4... but you would think the Institute the ONE thing Bethesda invented that was actually cool and interesting... would be handled with a bit of respect.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: December 12, 2016, 05:39:00 am »

Perhaps Australia becomes the new world power? I'm sure nobody would have bothered shooting any nukes there.

As I recall, towards the end of the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series it was revealed that the reistance had a terminator operated nuclear submarine
that was used to ferry supplies over from Australia, where they still had farms or something I guess. Hehe. ;-)

But actually we have long had a bunch of bases here, because of the clear skies. There are enough nukes in the soviet arsenal to have hit all our main areas plus bases. No doubt.
Yeah, plus we've seen what nuclear fallout did to the American wildlife. They got Radscorpions, Bloatflies, Bloodbugs and Stingwings. Australia's already got those fucking things here now! Radioactive mutation basically guarantees zero human survivors once the native wildlife adapts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: December 12, 2016, 05:41:07 am »

Not all countries were very hard hit by the Apoc. Australia probably was barely targeted.

Though once again I would LOVE for a Fallout game that didn't take place in the USA... and honestly why not? It isn't like they want to continue the story in America (as they go out of their way to undo setting progression...)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: December 12, 2016, 05:57:03 am »

Not all countries were very hard hit by the Apoc. Australia probably was barely targeted.

This isn't accurate, as far as I know. We simply do not know how badly the rest of the world was hurt.
Love, scriver~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: December 12, 2016, 07:35:34 am »

Yeah, if they didn't nuke Australia to get rid of the Australians, they definitely nuked it to kill the wildlife :P

But yeah, I've been saying the next one should be in China since this one first came out. Would LOVE to see how the other side fared.
But it seems no one wants to break the mold, especially since it would mean not having a BoS suit as the posterboy.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: December 12, 2016, 07:38:41 am »

Implying a Dragoon stealth suit wouldn't work just as well?
Black lives matter.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: December 12, 2016, 07:42:25 am »

Implying a Dragoon stealth suit wouldn't work just as well?
Some executive somewhere would have an aneurism and cancel everything till the BoS was thrown haphazardly into China in the least lore friendly way possible.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:42 am »

Well, since 'thesda are shitty writers, they can't create convincing factions, so anything outside of the US is just going to have recognizable factions slapped on for 'brand recognition.'  Why don't we all just accept that 'thesda shouldn't make any more Fallout games at all, and instead license the IP to someone else.  Even if it isn't Obsidian there are only a few ways a different dev could fuck it up worse than 'thesda.

Also the Railroad and Institute are really shitty factions all around, and deserve death.  And the BoS need to actually act like the BoS, not spehss mureens.

Re: China and Australia; the lore says the whole world died, the WHOLE world, not just the US, not just Europe, the WHOLE WORLD.  From the Fallout 2 war never changes intro: "Continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath boiling oceans."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 07:59:53 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: December 12, 2016, 08:04:00 am »

a different dev could fuck it up worse than 'thesda.
My mind went immediately to Ubisoft and EA.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: December 12, 2016, 08:06:05 am »

Stupendously, I actually think Ubi would handle it better than 'thesda, but yeah, EA kills everything it touches.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: December 12, 2016, 08:08:04 am »

It doesn't necessarily matter if a continent was not directly hit by nukes.

Given the scale of nuclear apocalypse that we were capable of producing on our own earth back in the cold war, we could easily cover the atmosphere in so much toxic dust just from the nukes that the entire world would have been doomed.

So I'd imagine in a world of Fallout where everything is the super version and there's actually fusion power, it'd be even worse. I'd imagine the infrastructure in many places would be intact and usable, but everything would be dead.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:41 am »

That is sort of the picture the lore paints, most of humanity dead, the survivors ekeing out an existence in the silent remains of the old world.  Then things get better over time, as the radiation dies down and nature begins to re-assert herself.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: December 12, 2016, 09:00:17 am »

Though once again I would LOVE for a Fallout game that didn't take place in the USA... and honestly why not? It isn't like they want to continue the story in America (as they go out of their way to undo setting progression...)
Because the 50s cheesy american aesthetics and cold war paranoia are an integral part of the look and feel of Fallout.

A Fallout game taking place anywhere else on the globe would be immediately bereft of its immediate visual identity (and don't give me no rubbish about how this is a Fallout 4 trend, it's been a vital part of the franchise since the first game).

Take away the 1950s aesthetic and the american approach to the cold war paranoia and the franchise is entirely unrecognizable. Fun setting to explore in a DLC, perhaps, but not in a main series game.

(Besides, how much do you wanna bet that instead of looking up interesting artistic styles and ways to innovate they'd just stick Super Mutants, the Brotherhood of Steel, Vault-Tec and all the fan favourite things into the locale and just rebrand them slightly.)

And the BoS need to actually act like the BoS, not spehss mureens.
I actually disagree with this. The BoS has changed from Fallout 1 to Fallout 2 and later to Fallout NV, so I don't mind them changing and becoming different. FFS they're the only polity in Bethesdout that has had canonical and visible changes from one game to another.

Though I fear they'll just make an Elder Scrolls Empire out of them and have them be what the plot needs them to be from game to game, it's at least SOME semblance of an actual canon being in place.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: December 12, 2016, 09:21:08 am »

That is sort of the picture the lore paints, most of humanity dead, the survivors ekeing out an existence in the silent remains of the old world.  Then things get better over time, as the radiation dies down and nature begins to re-assert herself.

I get this feeling too which is why I think the Minutemen ending is the most canon. It doesn't matter who you team up with, but I tend to go Railroad + Minutemen as my ending. I always blow up at Father after getting all 3 factions to kill each other at the Battle of Bunker Hill. I also walk out with dozens of full suits of T60, enough weapons to arm the entire commonwealth, and a few really nice suits of Railroad heavy coats.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: December 12, 2016, 09:42:49 am »

Meh. My opinions!

Railroad: Bunch of people who's only goal is to free the synths. No sustainability once the Institute is gone.

Minutemen: Only sustainable with the SS at the General chair. Unless they can get a clear line of succession and government set up, it'll just got the way of Quincy all over again.

Brotherhood: Military force who have a somewhat sustainable goal of purging the wasteland of mutants and synths. While it's debatable on their tactics, the Brotherhood at least won't collapse once their leader dies. They presumably have a way to get a new elder should Maxson die without an heir.

Institute: The bogeyman of the wasteland. While it clearly would survive most of anything the wasteland throws at it, they are hated by nearly everyone unanimously. Sustainable, if they stayed isolationist. If they, however, stopped pulling strings behind the shadows, owned up to replacing people, and furthermore didn't destroy any civilization as it develops, they could actually become a faction that does what's best for the Commonwealth.

I mean. Bias may be here, but honestly, the Institute does seem like the best choice. They can make gen 2 synths to defend settlements and patrol the wasteland, thus making people more safe and less likely to die doing simple guard duty, they can use their tech to increase the quality of life everywhere. But they don't, and instead they go for being the Illuminati and just manipulating everyone. I mean, shit. If they just stopped being such a shadow-y cabal, they'd probably be more liked. I'm probably too optimistic though. Seems anytime an isolationist group is around, they have no chance to turn good and always are doing stuff for the 'evulz.'

That was way more than I thought I'd type up :P
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 462