Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 96594 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

Sad Face.  :-[  I missed your question, Shinigami.  Let me answer that real quick.
Grffin- You have been on today, what are your opinions of Vector, Lenglon and myself. I'm not asking for anything specific but you have the most info on us so yeah.
Lenglon:  Leaning scummy.  He's (She's?  Oh well.  I'll say he this post.  If I'm wrong, correct me so I get it right forever more.) questioned me repeatedly about the role of jailkeeper, but his questions seem like they're trying to find information about mafia, not what he's actually talking about.  I do think that he also made a mistake over-generalizing a question meant to be specific, but it's hard to tell if this is newb or scum play.  Short of his interaction with Vector, and limited interaction with you, (all of which he DIDN"T initiate), he hasn't pressed anyone yet.  I haven't really pressed anyone yet either, so I can't condemn him for this, but I do think my posts have been more pressing then his.  (Apart from his with Vector, of course.)  His posts directed at Vector did seem, if not completely UMGUS, along those lines.  He over-reacted, plain and simple.  His tendency to not address accusations in statement form, instead of question form, also worries me.  Why wouldn't he want to clear up those accusations?

Vector:I've looked at some examples of Vector playing, and I agree with what someone said.  This is kind of her normal playstyle.  I disagree with you in the fact that it hasn't disrupted my play.  Tunneling is also an attribute of someone overeager, not necessarily a scumtell.  All in all, I'm leaning a bit town on her currently.  She doesn't seem to have over-reacted much this game at all, merely pouncing on a mistake made by Lenglon, and not letting up.

Shinigami_King:  You my dear fellow, are a prickly pear.  You come into the thread, screaming like a banshee, but after you calmed down you seem to have started playing acceptably.  You are still feeling around, and asking questions to everyone.  You come off as impatient to me though, as I said previously, it's only the first actual day.  You seem to have buddied pretty heavily with Lenglon, who only tried to separate from you after being prodded.  I agree that it's statistically unlikely that you and Lenglon are scum, but it's also as statistically likely as any other matchup.  It therefore, would be illogical to base our beliefs on these statistics.  Overall, you rate pretty much Null at the moment.  Your buddying with Lenglon was scummy, but the rest of your play really hasn't. 

Note. This is written before GriffionDay's post is  read.  I may change my opinion on you,
shinigami, depending on his points, and your responses.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2013, 06:41:55 pm »

Bleh. I thought I was out of The Great Bastard when I signed up for this, so I am a little bit overwhelmed right now.

Still working my way through the thread, I'm at Reply #101 now. Once I get home this should get much faster.

Shinigami:
Both of you get the same question. In the last BM, Deathsword utilised his IC voice in order to change our perspective of who was scum in multiple places. Was he in the wrong or the right. How so? Vector, you answered before I could ask but Ford, how will you use your IC voice.
Counter-question: Did you learn something about deception from the way he manipulated you with his IC voice?

Simple Answer: I will use my IC voice to teach. That is what it's for, after all. Of course, only scum would have a need to manipulate you, so if I'm not scum, I won't have anything to gain by doing what he did.

I have been told to state "Why" and list my resoning even before being asked. This way people can see that I'm being blatant, blunt and I have nothing to hide.
Not bad advice, but by the same stroke, it can also give your target hints about how to defend themselves. There's another school of thought that says you ought to keep everything possible to yourself until asked for it.

The downside of hoarding information is that if people don't post often, or there are timezone problems, it may mean you only get a few posts back and forth before the day ends.

Griffionday:
ICs:
Can we get your definitions of WIFOM so we're all on the same page when discussing that term?
WIFOM = Wine In Front Of Me = Rampant Speculation

Speculative reasoning that has no value in scumhunting, primarily defined by its nature of being rapidly self-perpetuating as the theories are contradicted or built upon in rapid succession.

Although...actually, yeah, the definition from the OP is way better.

Griffinpup:
Captain Ford-  I'm running out of questions.  What questions do you prefer at this stage?  How reliable are the reads that you get from people at this point?
I can sometimes identify a townie or two by this point. Although as evidenced by past games, I have a tendency to defend scum, (almost 100%) which blinds me to their alignment later in the game. Ugh.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2013, 06:44:20 pm »

That's okay.  I'll just use you as a litmus test >:D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »

The downside of hoarding information is that if people don't post often, or there are timezone problems, it may mean you only get a few posts back and forth before the day ends.

I feel like we don't have that problem in this game.   :D

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2013, 06:48:40 pm »

... *points at the Mod*
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

... *points at the Mod*
I was referring to the first part of his quote, about not having enough activity.  You do have a good point there though.

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2013, 07:07:39 pm »

Lessons I have learned so far:

Be very careful to attribute posts appropriately.
Pay more attention to timing when accusing people of lurking.
Inactive weekends are the norm.

Ok. Doing good.

Now, to play some more.

Captain Ford: You say you accidentally defend scum in the early game, which blinds you later. What sort of thing does it take to make you question your current opinions.

RangerCado: As one of the most vocal accusers of lurking, I have to apologize. As you can see, I've learned better already. How was the graduation?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:09 pm »

...Dem, i think you meant that for Ford...
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 20, 2013, 08:20:14 pm »

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(0) -
  • Griffionday(1) - Shinigami_King
  • Lenglon(1) - Vector
  • Cheesecake(0) -
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(0) - 
  • Shinigami_King(3) - Demdemeh, Griffionday, Lenglon
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(4) - Cheesecake, Captain Ford, RangerCado, griffinpup

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 23, 2013 [Thursday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

"Piece Value Advantage (Black): Six Points."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"You are losing by attrition."
"Probably. But...probably."

For those who choose to check on the game, see White losing by the lack of knights and Black ahead by a Rook and Pawn. The Chessboard is like a ruined city, wherein stone debris of destroyed constructs litter the area--just enough to show the brutality of war on a physical scale.

Somehow, you can sense that the soldiers are alive given by the apparent fear in the air. That, and the fact of a Pawn trying to destroy a Rook by swinging his spear at the flighty messenger.

"Why are our Rooks modeled like birds again? Shouldn't they be...towers? No wait, nevermind. I didn't forget the time they were made as Gamblers...I mean, throwing cards?"

... *points at the Mod*
D:

;__; Meanies.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:21:48 pm by Tiruin »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:51 pm »

So, Demdemeh.  It seems to me like you aren't putting pressure on any one at  the moment.  In fact, you vote is still on Shinigami, and you still haven't explained why you have left it on him even though you have posted after him questioning you on that fact.  When you first placed your vote on him, you gave him a reason, but not much of one.  Did he ever answer that?  If so, why haven't you taken your vote off of him?  Do you have any more reason to think he's scum then that?  Perhaps you have insider knowledge on who's scum, and wanted to start off the game distancing  yourself from your scumbuddy? 

Lessons I have learned so far:

Be very careful to attribute posts appropriately.
Pay more attention to timing when accusing people of lurking.
Inactive weekends are the norm.

Ok. Doing good.

Now, to play some more.

Captain Ford: You say you accidentally defend scum in the early game, which blinds you later. What sort of thing does it take to make you question your current opinions.

RangerCado: As one of the most vocal accusers of lurking, I have to apologize. As you can see, I've learned better already. How was the graduation?

You have admitted to being new at this in many locations.  That, however is no reason to not give it your all.  Why aren't you even trying to put pressure on people?  In your last post you asked two questions.  One was an apology and a question about RL, not helping the town side at  all.  In fact, you even addressed it to the wrong person!  This was in no way, 'playing some more'.  Your second question resembles a post RVS, but just barely.  Also, the way I see it is that Captain Ford hasn't even Had time to respond to anything, much less make solid opinions.  Regardless, that question puts no pressure at all on Captain Ford.  If you despise lurking so much, why haven't you been putting any pressure on who you believed were guilty of it?  More specifically, why weren't you putting pressure on the people not posting over the weekend when you didn't think that was acceptable?  I realize that you have been corrected in the fact that there's no obligation to post over the weekend, but you didn't know that then.  But you still didn't go after them.  Almost like you wanted to appear helpful, while trying to be inconspicuous, definitely a scum tell.

Dem:
Quote from: Shinigami_King
how on earth is over-answering a question evading it?

Giving too much information increases the static to noise ratio, and can be considered an attempt to confuse the reader into misinterpreting what you are trying to say; hiding in plain sight, as it were.
that wasn't shinigami who said that. that was me. dont do this again, ever. it's really scummy to lie in quotes. why did you feel the need to steal words from someone else to pressure shinigami? it's not like he wasn't under pressure already.

and if my answer to something confuses you, just ask me to clarify it.
Point taken. I apologize for the misattribution. It was not intentional, I assure you. Shinigami, please accept my apology for that.
Here, you make a solid and viable point.  You do happen to mislabel it however, but that is quickly resolved.  Notice how they didn't respond to your statement, only to your mislabeling of it.  You were right to apologize, but why didn't you push?  You made a solid point, and could of driven it home, putting pressure AND getting reads out  of  the people  involved.  Instead, you totally backed off, and avoided pressing the issue.  This is starting to become a disturbing pattern.  You keep on backtracking, apologizing, and altogether trying to look harmless.  You still don't push.  What are you trying to accomplish if not scumhunting?  Hiding?  That's clearly what it looks like! 

Your posts are disturbingly lacking in actual substance, but you seem to be trying to appear active.  You're actively lurking too, which is another scum tell.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 20, 2013, 08:36:22 pm »

Great post, griffinpup.

Fuck it.  Cheesecake, your reads, please.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:14 pm »

For those who choose to check on the game, see White losing by the lack of knights and Black ahead by a Rook and Pawn. The Chessboard is like a ruined city, wherein stone debris of destroyed constructs litter the area--just enough to show the brutality of war on a physical scale.

Somehow, you can sense that the soldiers are alive given by the apparent fear in the air. That, and the fact of a Pawn trying to destroy a Rook by swinging his spear at the flighty messenger.

"Why are our Rooks modeled like birds again? Shouldn't they be...towers? No wait, nevermind. I didn't forget the time they were made as Gamblers...I mean, throwing cards?"

[/quote]
Wow... Your storytelling is really articulate.  I love it!!!

P.S.  Just keep poking with your spear Shinigami, there's no way you're going to take down GriffionDay.   :D

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »

[/quote]
Wow... Your storytelling is really articulate.  I love it!!!

P.S.  Just keep poking with your spear Shinigami, there's no way you're going to take down GriffionDay.   :D

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2013, 08:43:54 pm »

Double post.  Sorry guys.   :-\

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:12 pm »

Okay... I don't know where to start. I also only have 25 minutes so I wont be able to cover everything in this post sorry. I'll be back in about 2 hours then I will have about 40 minutes.

starting with these remarks.
I recently picked up a job in my mornings and then I have classes most of the day, I tend to be more active 6pm-1am PST; likewise I tend to be more active over the weekend as I have more free time.  Stop expecting people to follow your strict regiment of activity and calling them lurky when they've not been so.
It isn't the weekend anymore. You're argument is invalid -_-
So you're accusing people of lurking that haven't posted in the last 12 hours?  This is my first post today, why haven't you been calling me a lurk?  Shinigami, people have lives, and you can't assume that none of the people 'lurking' don't have jobs or school from 9:00 to 5:00.  It's completely reasonable that they haven't been able to post yet, and they had no responsibility to post over the weekend.
I am only attacking those who posted over the weekend. It proved they were on the forum and because it was the weekend they had no obligation to post. To post a little bit is like someone saying "Hey, I'm here! I don't really care about what is going on but I will side with the leading team without adding anything. Welp, guess it's time to go now" That's why I have been calling out active lurking.

Shinigami-  I'm going to scumhunt, and if you don't like it, well too bad.  It might mess up your 'state of being' or whatever, but I, for one, don't care as long as I find scum.  That's what you should be doing too.  What it looks like you're doing right now is waiting  for people to ask you questions, so you can answer them and avoid scumhunting.  You gave your reason for going light on scumhunting before is because it was the weekend. Well...
Quote from: Shinigami_King on Today at 05:02:29 pm
It isn't the weekend anymore. You're argument is invalid -_-
Get to work.
The later post of mine was more of a joke directed at Ranger just so ya know. I am also fine with scum hunting, don't be confused, it is just Vector's methods that threw me off my game. When I first retaliated to Vector, Lenglon was appropriately distressed from the pressure and I, who wasn't even part of the thing, was thrown off. I kind of figured that a method that causes so much caos would not be appreciated by the rest of the group. Obviously I was wrong.

Long post because of ranting at Shinigami; I apologize to those who aren't him in advance
I actually do appreciate it by the way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There ya go. First answer, week RVS questions are better than nothing. And by attacking Vector I was doing something that could help later in the game.
Second. I just finished having a nice long talk with her and we were both tired. The questions I then asked were in fact related, and were decent questions.
Third. Yes, I guess. I did care and still do. I add certain things like "Ciao" "eh" "ya" and "I guess" so that I appear human. There shouldn't be a problem with that.
Fourth. RVS is just something that I feel should be done. Random questions that might actually lead to something. I like the concept.
And that's all I'm going to address from that post. Moving on~

Shinigami: Okay, quick check shows that you don't get along with Vector's style of play. The only thing anger does is make you more suspicious. (Vector less so as she's always angry at someone) If you want to be able to deal with Vector with a clear head, find some common ground. Butting heads does nothing.
You know me IRL. I'm always upset and I never like people getting all high and mighty at me. To support that last point. Does anyone? Also, no I don't like Vector's style. A large reason I reacted the way I did other than the reasons I already mentioned is that I expected RVS to be a pretty calm section with a bunch of jokes. Not a punch to the gut in one post kind of thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I still like this post even at the end of the day. Hm, good to know.

Well, that's my 25 minutes. I think I went far enough back in the thread to please some. Sorry I didn't instigate any scum hunting but I simply didn't have time. You know, with all of the everyone and their mother attacking me. I promise I will be back with some scum hunting in about 2 hours. Hope this clears some things up. (I just realized that I didn't address any of the comments on page 14. Oops. I'll do that next time as well.)
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51