Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226512 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #405 on: January 01, 2015, 11:42:28 pm »

Is there any good way to start? The easy starts with the ships feel too easy for me, yet with the empty platform or rescue ship, I tire of mining each asteroid type pretty quickly.
You can search around the workshop for a mining starter ship with refinery.  With the yellow starting ship, you can also disassemble the door, collector, and connector for good parts and build a drill to mount on the front.  It also starts with a good number of engines, that you can take apart.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #406 on: January 01, 2015, 11:52:31 pm »

Are you ah... using connectors correctly?  Two connectors pushed together makes them share the same conveyor grid, so you can just move items super easy...

Herp! Thanks! I looked at youtube videos and saw everybody just kinda pooping mined resources into their bases. That... is pretty great.

I assume that if I want to be able to use more than my personal inventory to build things, a small building ship with a cargo bay is what I should be looking at? Right now my main trouble in building an initial spaceport is getting the materials that I need in my inventory to build everything. I find myself having to go back for specific things for every couple of blocks (conveyors need like, 10 different items). I was hoping that if there was stuff available in the station's inventory, they could automatically be used when building the station. But nope.

Is there any good way to start? The easy starts with the ships feel too easy for me, yet with the empty platform or rescue ship, I tire of mining each asteroid type pretty quickly.
You can search around the workshop for a mining starter ship with refinery.  With the yellow starting ship, you can also disassemble the door, collector, and connector for good parts and build a drill to mount on the front.  It also starts with a good number of engines, that you can take apart.

That was me today. Took forever to find every single ore type (damn you silicooooooooooonnnnnnnn) so that I could build something interesting. The good news is that apparently you don't need a lot of each. Looks like once you've found an inventory-load of all the ores, you're likely set up for making your own base/ship already. I really enjoy starting from zero, and building up from there. Even salvaging a ship seemed a little cheaty, so I just kept it working for the refinery. I'm about ready to transfer everything over to my station though!

That said, I'm definitely not playing on realistic. I'm doing survival mode with all the "speed up" settings set to max. I'm not big on grinding :P Can't wait to have mining ship with which to devour the small asteroids. Muahaha.

--- edit ---

Is there a Bay12 server?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2015, 11:55:20 pm »

If you start with the yellow ship, you have a good base to start taking cargo ships. Most of them can be taken with a spacesuit only. With a small disassembly ship built from disassembled engine parts from captured ships, you can quickly harvest them.

PPE: You have to start each block by hand, but it's faster to build them if you make a small welding ship with some cargo blocks of materials. IDK about large welding ships, but I'd guess that they are good for larger-scale projects.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:46 am »

I like the crashed red ship start, it's got a decent load of resources and you start with a refinery and assembler (and barely mobile platform) to get rolling.  It might be bit much if you want to do everything by hand, I don't so it works really well for me.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2015, 12:34:52 am »

I assume that if I want to be able to use more than my personal inventory to build things, a small building ship with a cargo bay is what I should be looking at? Right now my main trouble in building an initial spaceport is getting the materials that I need in my inventory to build everything. I find myself having to go back for specific things for every couple of blocks (conveyors need like, 10 different items). I was hoping that if there was stuff available in the station's inventory, they could automatically be used when building the station. But nope.
Pretty sure that if you connect cargo containers to assemblers, they'll pull in what they need.
Do note that just attaching them to the same structure (or each other) isn't sufficient. They have to be connected door-to-door, either directly mounted (awkward to work around), or via conveyors.

Is there a Bay12 server?
There's my server (check sig) and there are probably other semi-personal servers floating in and out of existence as well.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:39 am »

Pretty sure that if you connect cargo containers to assemblers, they'll pull in what they need.
Do note that just attaching them to the same structure (or each other) isn't sufficient. They have to be connected door-to-door, either directly mounted (awkward to work around), or via conveyors.

The assemblers on my ship are already taking what they need. The problem is that if I want to build more than two or three pieces of my station, I have to go back and grab the materials. When it comes to conveyors and things, made up of 10 different parts, it's boring/annoying to get the right parts...

Tried finding the server but couldn't. Probably not online right now :)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2015, 09:31:06 am »

If you want to build stuff the super duper easy way you can always just edit your save and change it to Creative mode.
If you want to build stuff in survivor mode the best thing to do is get a hand full of the base materials (plates, pipes, interior plates, etc), then the best thing to do is just place the blocks - don't weld em, then make a tiny welding ship to do the actual construction hard work.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 02, 2015, 02:25:49 pm »

The assemblers on my ship are already taking what they need. The problem is that if I want to build more than two or three pieces of my station, I have to go back and grab the materials. When it comes to conveyors and things, made up of 10 different parts, it's boring/annoying to get the right parts...

Tried finding the server but couldn't. Probably not online right now :)
Solution to this is a welding ship.

To build in survival mode over the long haul, you really only lay down like one component (the one at the bottom of the list) which is just enough to get the frame of a part in place. Do that for a row or sheet of components, then hop in your welding ship, which is just a set of welders connected to cargo (containing all the parts you need). Welders will work like mining ships in reverse - adding components to whatever wireframes need "repaired" near the welders. Additionally, they weld in an area, making them not only faster but more efficient overall than hand welders.

You can carry dozens of steel plates, and if you're laying down your armor one plate per block and finishing with ship welders you will produce your ship much more quickly.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2015, 12:35:50 pm »

Thanks guys! That's what I figured!

Now I'm having a hard time plopping down a small welder (are there small welders?) on my small ship. It always becomes HUGE and won't connect. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »

Ship welders are large, yah.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2015, 02:12:39 pm »

You need to use a large conveyor tube for welders, small ones are too small

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

Thanks guys! That's what I figured!

Now I'm having a hard time plopping down a small welder (are there small welders?) on my small ship. It always becomes HUGE and won't connect. Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.
What Zombat said. And you'll just have to design your ship around those bulky components.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 06, 2015, 11:54:02 pm »

So im tired of playing alone, i have a game where im not that advanced, i RPed a scenario in my head and well im tired of playing alone. Im using a shitload of mod, but if you are interested to join my MP game, send a friend request to jocan on steam. I could use a few dwarf to play with me :D.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 07, 2015, 10:15:05 am »

So just found out they put programming in the game...so I redownloaded :D

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 07, 2015, 10:23:29 am »

Had a bit of a dumb moment last night.

Started up my first game in several months, choosing an easy start unlimited world. I partially dismantled one of the larger ships to begin the process of building a world ship that would travel around mining asteroids. Then a mining ship popped up and I decided to go get it, forgetting that I turned off power to my platform to conserve power. I quickly remembered that I did so when I respawned in the middle of nowhere with no antenna to direct me.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 114