Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226245 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #750 on: July 30, 2015, 08:30:09 pm »

Looks like a game I'd like to try, if it isn't overpriced for e.a.

Specially love the mining beams. I've always wanted mining beams, that just remove all the blocks in their path. The interior-decorating part is also nice, animals and stuff look straight out of Fallout games.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »

After trying out the new cargo mass thing, I really have to wonder WTF keen was thinking. Yeah, it's more realistic, but it was pants-on-head retarded to add this before they did a balance pass on propulsion.

Small welder drones/ships have become impossible to make - to get a cargo container full of components moving you need a ton of thrusters, which means it's not small anymore. Large block mining ships have to have tiny cargo holds because of how terrible large thrusters are, and my mothership that has my components and refined ore on it has become completely immobile even after I doubled the thrusters.

Yeah, eventually it would probably have been a good change, but why now? It's just a completely random thing they added out of nowhere that has made the game much worse.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:42 am »

I think gravity drives being supported is because it's the only real way around the otherwise painfully slow max speed. And apparently now accelerating is near-impossible too?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 04, 2015, 11:15:05 am »

I mean this is a science fiction game anyways, I fully support mechanics like this. By slightly changing what is possible, you open up a slew of new engineering possibilities
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 04, 2015, 11:29:50 am »

I think gravity drives being supported is because it's the only real way around the otherwise painfully slow max speed. And apparently now accelerating is near-impossible too?

I think you mean the jump drive, which is a totally separate block

Gravity drive is, well, it's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Except with a gravity generator instead of a magnet.

It's also horribly overpowered compared to thrusters (cheaper, uses much less power, produces massive amounts of thrust)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »

Funny thing is... in that image the magnet would be attracted toward the metal in a force equal than the metal is attracted to the magnet thus canceling the *intended movement force*

On another note.... When is the mass effect drive coming? or was it reactor? you know the thing every ship has aboard that *reduce* ship mass in mass effect?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #756 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:32 pm »

Funny thing is... in that image the magnet would be attracted toward the metal in a force equal than the metal is attracted to the magnet thus canceling the *intended movement force*
Yes, that is the point. Gravity drives are ridiculous and only work because the game doesn't conserve momentum.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 04, 2015, 03:42:32 pm »

I think the key is to not see the stock SE as a game, but see it as an engine.

Then go make a mod.
there was a project to do more realistic physics (ie offset thrusters create torque) which sounds like it could be fun. its talked about in the source code section of the keen forums.
I'd be interested in checking out an realism mod if done well.

As far as multiplayer problems go, the Transend servers are pretty good, the guy who runs them is got some fairly heavy modding going on, which helps a huge amount with the lag and other problems we're maxing them out at 26 players often without much problem. though if you're after realism then it's no better than stock.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »

No, I thought that gravity drives allowed you to go faster than the max speed. Apparently I remembered wrong though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 04, 2015, 10:07:36 pm »

No, I thought that gravity drives allowed you to go faster than the max speed. Apparently I remembered wrong though.
Nah they just let you hit the speed limit in under a second IIRC.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: August 07, 2015, 04:51:27 am »

sometimes the max speed counter said you were going over max due to a calculation error when using extremely high power gravity drives, but it was the same speed.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #761 on: August 25, 2015, 03:42:20 pm »

I'd be interested in checking out an realism mod if done well.

Definitely agreed, although frankly I only want two things baseline, four would be perfect:

-Torque, as you said earlier.
-Reaction Mass based propulsion. Until EM drives are proven to work, let's assume the standard model is mostly correct.

-Grav Generator reaction forces: Equal and opposite reaction forces between gravity generators and the things they're interacting with.
-Heat Management: A big feature, definitely, but not impossible.

With the first two, I'd be happy with the realism. With the second two, I'd be ecstatic.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #762 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »

EM drives have been proven to be possible, insofar as you trust the leading authority on the matter.
"RF resonant cavity thruster" is what they're calling it, and it's been validated by NASA/JSC.

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 25, 2015, 04:53:12 pm »

EMDrive has been proven to generate thrust. This leaves three options:

It has an exhaust that we haven't detected yet.

Its a photon drive - although experiments are giving it much too high an efficiency to be a photon drive, hence all the excitement.

Its a reactionless drive - in which case, physics is completely and utterly wrong.

I know which option I'd bet on.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 114