Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 226241 times)

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1320 on: May 26, 2016, 04:01:43 am »

I'm not exactly sure why the license expiring is causing the end user's client to self-destruct, I've never heard of anything like that for any other game ever... but I don't really know much about that sort of thing.
Digital Rights Management working exactly as designed.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 26, 2016, 05:01:05 am »

Heh, there was a game called Minimum that was completely unplayable (as in, would not boot) for months due to the license expiring on some middleware the developers used. That meant without warning the game became unusable and was still on the store for a while. It finally came back up, I guess they decided a couple months of development and having the game disappear for their customers for months was a better option than paying whatever the fee was to renew their middleware.

I actually own the game and never knew about this since I don't play it, Funny to see the peak players drop to single digit for a few months, I guess 5 people just tried to see if it worked yet at the same time? It looks like it was already rapidly dying before that though, so it's not a huge surprise they didn't want to pay to renew it, might have cost more than they'd make off the game.

Anyway apparently there was a hotfix that has fixed the SE license issue already, so problem solved.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 26, 2016, 10:48:47 am »

Server will be down for a couple days most likely.

Good time for it, apparently keen's havok license expired today which has caused the game's physics to fall apart completely and cause all sorts of gamebreaking "havok" (har har). I'm not exactly sure why the license expiring is causing the end user's client to self-destruct, I've never heard of anything like that for any other game ever... but I don't really know much about that sort of thing.

Anyway, hopefully they will fix it tomorrow, and in the meantime you can apparently work around it by setting your clock back a day if anyone is trying to play.

It's probably because we are "testing" a dev version and not a finished product, so we're not using the "production" drivers for Havok or whatever.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 26, 2016, 04:10:19 pm »

Server will be down for a couple days most likely.

Good time for it, apparently keen's havok license expired today which has caused the game's physics to fall apart completely and cause all sorts of gamebreaking "havok" (har har). I'm not exactly sure why the license expiring is causing the end user's client to self-destruct, I've never heard of anything like that for any other game ever... but I don't really know much about that sort of thing.

Anyway, hopefully they will fix it tomorrow, and in the meantime you can apparently work around it by setting your clock back a day if anyone is trying to play.

It's probably because we are "testing" a dev version and not a finished product, so we're not using the "production" drivers for Havok or whatever.

Actually apparently they included the wrong version of the havok DLL with SE instillation, they included the debug version which is what expires instead of the release DLL which does not. They've switched to the correct DLL and now it should never happen again (even if keen's license expires again).

Edit: Today's real patch finally fixed ship toolbars in multiplayer, so yay for that. No more setting your buttons up every time you log in, should make complicated ships much less frustrating to use.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:12:02 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 29, 2016, 06:21:11 am »

Server is up.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 20, 2016, 03:36:22 am »

Been a while since someone posted on this thread, not sure if my post is worthy. But I need to know if what I was trying to do isn't possible after spending many hours on it. Frustration, man.

It's Conveyor/Sorter related. I simply wanted to make my base Storage-Centered, with a Storage room having 'modular' storage for all item types (Large Ore Container, Large Ingot Container, etc).
I wanted to make it so every thing would be drained from the Refineries/Assemblers/Etc into such containers, and that I could retrieve or move items around properly (i.e. I can manually move ingots to assemblers, but not ore. And I can retrieve any type of item from my main storage from anywhere).
Even though I used Sorters with Whitelisting/Blacklisting left and right, and even though I played a good amount of Factorio and Minecraft with tech mods, I still couldn't get it to work without the usual infinite feedback loops or Sorters magically drawing Blacklisted items from inacessible containers.

It made me realize that really, the game wants bases to have an "in-line" or "serial" conveyor design (i.e. Input [Docks/Etc] > Ore Buffer > Refinery > Ingot Buffer > Assemblers > Component Storage), so such generalized designs like mine (Main Storage > Everything Else) doesn't seem pratical or doable to me.

Since I can't get over the possibility that I might be derping, I must ask..did anyone ever do something like this? It seems simple and intuitive yet I can't make it work.
My solution was to get TIM (Teledan's Inventory Manager) script and what I couldn't do in 4+ hours it did in a split-second with 3 tags.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 21, 2016, 02:44:14 am »

So I love the idea of the game. I am ready to build bases and ships like a madmen. However, is it worth it? Will these things I build ever be used for anything other than looking at and practicing on AI that doesn't pose a threat? Or is there some greater meaning to building things? If not, do the devs have anything planned?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 21, 2016, 03:01:22 am »

you might want to look some let's play - I loved the idea of this but ended up playing Empyrion tons hours more, because the proportion between mining:building:doing cool stuff was not of my liking (even in creative!).

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 21, 2016, 03:02:29 am »

It's called Space Engineers, the building part is supposed to be the cool stuff. :P

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 21, 2016, 05:05:43 am »

Engineers, not Engineer

It really can be quite fun when you start with a bunch of people and just kinda develop some lore/stuff to do as you go along, but everything is better with other players.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 21, 2016, 05:34:17 am »

I'm not the Creative Mode type, so the "build things because you can" don't really appeal to me either. But I got interested since playing on planets is pretty hard - until you get enough hours in to know all the tricks, but even then you could miscalculate a landing any time and explode different things in different ways.

So my goal is simply to build a decent base and leave the planet, then having a jump-capable ship. I lost a ton of time relearning the game, learning how to play on planets, and exploding myself (even "landing" on another ship and losing both), so it has been fun.
The only exception really was inventory management. Trying to play vanilla is just asking for suffering.

All that said, I wouldn't recommend the game for most people. If Empyrion had half of the silly technical features and physics, I wouldn't even play it as I still hate KSH.
I doubt enemy AI will ever be balanced. Cyber hounds, spiders and meteor storms are a distasteful joke. Empyrion is much, much earlier in development and that sort of thing was recently balanced and fun since release.

I also second that the game is much better with other people. Specially when no one knows anything and have to figure things out.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 21, 2016, 10:19:12 am »

Yeah, you might argue the welder/assembler rates, but playing on vanilla inventory space is pure masochism.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 21, 2016, 11:34:40 am »

One issue I have is that there's no way to make Assemblers faster in the config without also making all the products take less resources.
Just because of that, I won't use the concrete mod anymore and just dump rock (also because it's way too heavy and building with it is a pain).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 24, 2016, 01:20:41 am »

Maybe they should add air pressure and circuits. Anything that would let people make a sort of 3D SS13. THAT would attract a lot of attention.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 24, 2016, 01:28:13 am »

It has air pressure (mostly), but so far no circuits or wiring.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 114