Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switching texture packs between saves  (Read 610 times)

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Switching texture packs between saves
« on: December 04, 2011, 01:09:45 pm »

Me and a friend are doing a succession fort, and he has a texture pack while I use default ascii graphics. Apparently something in the save adjusts how graphics are displayed. His texture pack does not appear but it swaps a lot of symbols in normal play. This frustrates me to no end, and I've established it's that save as my other saves don't do this, so... How do I make it display normally?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Switching texture packs between saves
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 01:24:38 pm »

When you say a texture pack, do you mean Mayday's graphics?

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:37:45 pm »

I was going to suggest that you had two diff. games until you said succession fort.

if it is about engravings you can simply us V to toggle them back to their monotone wall  tex.
but I don't remember any weirdness other than that in tileset switching (I once translated a save from the default game to a mayday one, didn't see other problem than that).
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:55:05 pm »

The à are supposed to be plump helmets. The microcline appears as arrows. Gems in the wall have background and foreground colours swapped and appear as circles. the lone dimple cup is a É

Any idea what caused this?
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:46:04 pm »

Some tilesets (like Phoebus) come with special customized RAW files that change the tile data for minerals and certain other objects. This is necessary to change the way some objects look in-game without altering others which would normally use the same tile. A few common tiles to use (due to them being unused elsewhere) are ◙ and ↕, as can be seen in that screencap you posted.

What tileset is your friend using?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »

Judging by the files in the save, he's using Mayday. So do I just replace the raws?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 06:44:54 pm »

To make it display normally, I'd say you should grab the Lazy Newb Pack. It has the ability to swap tilesets and update saves, and will make the necessary RAW adjustments at the same time. I'd also extend the recommendation to your friend, so that they can swap it back to their preferred tileset when it's their turn again.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.