Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124799 times)

Kabuto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #4425 on: May 09, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »

My miner was digging part of an irrigation system when he suddenly forgot how to use stairs and ramps... after I had turned it on with him still digging. I managed to get it turned off, and once the mist cleared, there was one very happy dwarf sitting there, starving.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:15 pm »

I lost my starting miner when part of the hill he was leveling fell on him.  That sucks, but I just got the first summer wave of migrants and figured the fish dissector would make a good replacement.  Not a minute later, she's dead too, when part of the hill she was leveling fell on her.

Oh what fun we shall have at Rigothmeb.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:21 pm »

not a facepalm moment for ME exactly, but for the game as it embarked my wagon right on top of a frozen pool....and when the pool thawed out, well hilarity ensued

Same thing happened to me, tried saving my items by channeling a ditch to drain the murky pool. Didn't occur to me at the time the implications of draining said pool, items and all, into a river... Which flows into the ocean. Yeah.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: May 09, 2011, 09:31:43 pm »

yeah, but you didnt happen to lose 4 out of 7 dwarfs who happened to be hangin out at the wagon drinking at the time..... :-\
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: May 10, 2011, 06:04:32 am »

Forgotten beast attacked. Killed by my soldiers, hastily used dfcleanmap to get rid of the ichor.
Some soldiers were affected byy the ichor, but survived.
Finally get around to designating an outdoor graveyard, at the sime time sending out my large masonry team to continue construction of the walls.

It rained. The FB body leaves a large trail of ichor...
Vomiting dwarves EVERYWHERE!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: May 10, 2011, 05:20:37 pm »

It rained. The FB body leaves a large trail of ichor...
Vomiting dwarves EVERYWHERE!

Couple that with nudist dwarves and you'd have Dwarven Spring Break.

Amun-Ra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: May 11, 2011, 05:08:23 pm »

Planning on pouring water on him, I accidentally released a trapped titan, who then burnt EVERYTHING.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: May 11, 2011, 08:20:12 pm »

yeah, but you didnt happen to lose 4 out of 7 dwarfs who happened to be hangin out at the wagon drinking at the time..... :-\

Dwarves. Such hardcore drinkers.

I designated a massive, self-replenishing cistern for my miners to dig, even cutting in an alternate exit for the moronic midgets that fell in.

My miner, nearly legendary (This project would have put her close to the brink) decided to start digging from the wrong end (the shaft, as opposed to the entrance) and spent nearly a year down there. Finished just in time, luckily.

To make matters worse, rather than breaching the river properly the dwarves mined out a corner first. This resulted in the cistern filling up ridiculously slowly. By God dwarves are idiots.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:18 am »

"oh, I'll just set up a few dozen rock-fall traps behind the main gate, that'll surely kill a squad of goblins".

one vomits running through them all

"oh crap...:

70 population - and then accounting for tantrums I'm down to 8.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Ghostbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: May 12, 2011, 02:54:10 am »

First fortress: Not realising wells don't block pressure. Only realised this when my high pressure well on Z -20 (fed by the Z 0 river) had flooded the lower half of my fortress.
First fortress with magma: Not understanding magma pressure due to an ambiguous entry on the wiki. Flooded the booze storage with magma before I managed to wall the area off. Tantrum spiral ensued (No water yet, was looking for the aquifer). I made the wiki a little clearer on this point and reclaimed.
Now you should know that my HP Elitebook 8530w has a hardware issue with the touchpad.
1. You cannot disable the touchpad.
2. When you hover your finger for a while above the touchpad it will register a click (after about 5 min). Since I keep my hands on my keyboard at all times while playing DF2 it will sometimes generate such false clicks because the knuckle of my left thumb is constantly hovering partially above the touchpad.
In the second fortress I mentioned, which I reclaimed, a rogue click while designating mining designated exactly the single tile between the previously magma flooded part and the workshops. I was really glad I built the still in a room with a basalt door for no good reason. It was the only part that flooded.
Then I dug into HFS. I had set up an elaborate trap corridor with legendary military dwarves at the end. Alas the demons pathing realised it was faster to just fly straight up trough the magma pipe into the volcano crater and murder my non-military dwarves from behind.
Also I once embarked on a plain with a continuous aquifer on z-level -3. I build the entire fortress out of wood aboveground. Only while typing this I realised that it is possible to dig trough an aquifer with only two z-levels of soil above it.
The fort was pretty nice though. I only had constant war with the elves. (Wooden fortress)
Pictures made with Overseer. (The crenellations and stairs are rotated 90 degrees, due to a wrong export from blender to .obj. (.obj has Y as the vertical axis and blender has Z, thus 90 degree rotation).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:58:27 am by Ghostbird »

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: May 12, 2011, 04:13:16 am »

New Fort, perfect location, lake next to a mountain, untamed and joyous wilds, iron and nickel ore, elephants, so everything i need.
Perfect starting seven, four soldier candidates and an amazing doctor. Expedition leader likes iron, diorite, fungiwood wood. Bingo
Wagon stopped on the edge of the cliffs. I designated my starting fortress, then hit unpause.

First thing happened: horse kicked military commander, he flew some twenty tiles into the lake.
After that horse tried to bit my expedition leader, who jumped away... into the lake.
The other horse thought this is my chance, and kicked McSoldier right next to his commander.

In five seconds three of my dwarfs died, and a i facepalmed hard. Maybe i shouldn't have gave them twenty dogs for food.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: May 12, 2011, 08:27:44 am »

New Fort, perfect location, lake next to a mountain, untamed and joyous wilds, iron and nickel ore, elephants, so everything i need.
Perfect starting seven, four soldier candidates and an amazing doctor. Expedition leader likes iron, diorite, fungiwood wood. Bingo
Wagon stopped on the edge of the cliffs. I designated my starting fortress, then hit unpause.

First thing happened: horse kicked military commander, he flew some twenty tiles into the lake.
After that horse tried to bit my expedition leader, who jumped away... into the lake.
The other horse thought this is my chance, and kicked McSoldier right next to his commander.

In five seconds three of my dwarfs died, and a i facepalmed hard. Maybe i shouldn't have gave them twenty dogs for food.

While reading this, I was imagining it playing out like the battle between Neo and the Smiths, even with the music.

First fortress with magma: Not understanding magma pressure due to an ambiguous entry on the wiki. Flooded the booze storage with magma before I managed to wall the area off. Tantrum spiral ensued (No water yet, was looking for the aquifer). I made the wiki a little clearer on this point and reclaimed.

Yeah, I ran into a similar wiki caused facepalm in water pressure. I wanted to fill up a dwarf-made lake and was going to use water pressure and the nearby brook to do it. Winter came and the brook froze, I mined into the brook until I got to the spot I would dig down. After the drain tunnel was complete, I waited for Spring. Spring came... and the water flowed and only filled up one z-level. Turns out that Up/Down staircases let water pas through them, but they do not allow pressure to pass through them.

The wiki doesn't mention this in the neutralizing pressure section and I figure since it wasn't there it should work... after that I had to do a lot of work to get my plan working again, but I finished it.

Edit: Got one going right now. Moody dwarf wants wood. I have no idea why my wood cutters aren't cutting wood... well I do... they don't have axes... but there's no reason for them not to have axes... in fact, what happened to their old axes? And why don't they get new ones from the weapon stockpile? (There is at least one there.) No alerts, no burrow restrictions either.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:34:17 am by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: May 12, 2011, 11:06:59 am »

Check your military uniforms? If the axe is assigned to any of them, even if they aren't actively carrying it the woodcutters will not use it to chop down trees.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: May 12, 2011, 12:33:48 pm »

It seems either the axes in the stockpile aren't good enough for some reason or they are invisibly claimed/owned by someone else... I found some spare wood and made a training axe and that seems to satisfy the situation.

Check your military uniforms? If the axe is assigned to any of them, even if they aren't actively carrying it the woodcutters will not use it to chop down trees.

This is probably what happened... but I'm not sure why the axes are sitting in the stockpile then...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

buogima

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: May 14, 2011, 12:41:06 am »

I spent 3 hours learning and playing through the techniques required to puncture a three-leveled aquifer, only to find once all the work was done that it was four-leveled.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 729