Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2124861 times)

Flodeklojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #5685 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »

just found out it got worse: i have a 24 tile bedroom with identical design for each dwarf and of course the tile that dropped was the tile that had the bed located on it...it killed a legendary mason and an almost legendary armorer who where sleeping at the time. Serves them right for not being at work ^^

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:44 pm »

Note to the rest of the dorfs: You see this paste where these highly skilled workers used to be? No one is safe unless they're working! NOW GET BACK TO WORK.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5687 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:58 pm »

I once lost my broker (the only dorf in the whole damn fort with any social skills  >:( ) because a cave-in landed next to him, the ensuing dust blast turning him into so many dwarf-chunk-coloured wall decorations... Learned not to use cave-ins to hollow out frequently traveled areas.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:51 am »

Elven caravans are unarmed anyway... But did the goblins not attack them?

In my quest for symetry, I had two doors on every side of my above-ground fortification.  Which meant the goblins could go in one side, while not even seeing the elves hanging about the trade depot.  I like to think they were slaughtered after the goblins were done wtih the fort.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:49 am »

my best face palm moment was when i was experimenting with syndromes to create biological weapons.

I had made water channels all around the map and had distributed the syndrome into them. sadly my herbalist was and idiot *shocker* and get contaminated.... lets just say i failed to quarantine him in time and he infected the rest of the fortress.... and while my fortress was slowly being killed by my weapon my medical dwarfs decided to throw a party....... that moment was among my top 10 list of "fun" ways to kill my fortress in dwarf fortress.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: February 08, 2012, 01:17:14 am »

Made a modded race/civ, forgot to give them skin. Horribleness on embark
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: February 08, 2012, 03:10:01 am »

Second best mod ever!

(The first best involves !!XStray cat spleenX!!.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Dramier

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Sinfonia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: February 09, 2012, 01:55:06 pm »

I had a recent facepalm moment...   Caught me by surprise considering I've played DF for a pretty long time, albeit off and on.

Recently got back into playing after a long break, and had a decent Fort going.   Hit about 150 dwarves, crazy self-sufficient, just started work on using some magma to my advantage.   

Suddenly I found I couldn't build workshops...   or designate stuff...  or basically get any of the commands to work.   I thought well maybe my keyboard is derping, but the ESC key took me to the menu.   So I restarted DF, and still same problem.  After fifteen minutes of trying to get something to work I thought maybe the Fort is bugged somehow.   Abandoned... 

...then saw the Caps Lock light on.

:facedesk:

Independent Game Developer

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: February 09, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

LOL!!! DORF!!!!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:20 pm »

Second best mod ever!

link plz
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Springare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: February 10, 2012, 02:17:03 pm »

Personal Facepalm-moment of the day:
The cripple of the fortress, who is running around with a crutch, didn't want to put that wooden training sword away until... he got attched to it -.- And he had a copper axe and a shield. After that i put him to desk-jobs.
German mathematics and computer science student to teacher
Please bear with my english

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: February 10, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »

Im not sure if this counts, as it wasint me that caused it, but its still kindof hilarious.

I had about 45 dwarves and was screwing around when my second goblin siege on that fortress appeared. I was still trying to get back to 100 after the last one and had no military watsoever. So, well, you know the drill. Anyway after they retreaded i had 4. Among them was the one person i had named "Old man sniches" because he was the only one left from the original 7 dwarves that i started with. How ironic.....
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: February 11, 2012, 04:05:34 am »

Im not sure if this counts, as it wasint me that caused it, but its still kindof hilarious.

I had about 45 dwarves and was screwing around when my second goblin siege on that fortress appeared. I was still trying to get back to 100 after the last one and had no military watsoever. So, well, you know the drill. Anyway after they retreaded i had 4. Among them was the one person i had named "Old man sniches" because he was the only one left from the original 7 dwarves that i started with. How ironic.....

I use cage traps all the way to pluto and back.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:05 am »

Second best mod ever!

link plz
Here's a vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJwIUU60sWQ
Post-Scamps, however, I hear the famous Thermonuclear Catsplosion is notoriously difficult to initiate... :(

Oh, and I recently had a FPM that forced a save scum: I accidentially channeled away one of the walls to my underground tree farm, giving goblins and trolls the run of the fort in the process...  :-[
Cue a lot of destroyed buildings in the kitchen area and a whole bunch of dead dorfs.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:10:58 am by Sus »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5699 on: February 11, 2012, 10:33:03 am »

Urist McWeaponsmith has a Fey Mood! Happiness and excitement all around.

Lead short sword. At least when someone is struck with the flat of the blade it will hurt.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 378 379 [380] 381 382 ... 729