Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58

Author Topic: Day Z  (Read 218525 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z - A Zombie mod for Arma 2
« Reply #690 on: July 13, 2012, 04:20:26 pm »

Fucking fuck. new update broke game totally, no servers are joinable and the few that does makes me stuck on loading screen. Fuck this shit im not playing anymore.

Going on vacation tomorrow anyway.. :(

Was such an awesome game but the devs are retards for releasing unfinished versions.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:47 pm »

Was such an awesome game but the devs are retards for releasing unfinished versions.

I actually hate that I'm turning into this guy, but...

It's not a game, it's a MOD. A free mod. And it's in the alpha stage. That means every version is an unfinished version. By downloading the mod, I am an alpha tester. I'm not supposed to be playing the game to enjoy it (although I do, and many others do) I'm supposed to be testing it. Then I report bugs I encounter or things that need re-balancing. And then the next update is released.

I'm not sure what you would call a "finished" version anyways... the final standalone game?

EDIT: If you're talking about version 1.7.2.3, it seems like none of the servers are running it. They're all on 1.7.2. Maybe there was a problem with the patch or something... but either way it's impossible to actually play 1.7.2.3 since you can't get on a server that uses it. If you're talking about 1.7.2.... *shrugs* it works okay for me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:58:06 pm by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 13, 2012, 04:58:11 pm »

ok reinstalled it, and now it works XP

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 13, 2012, 05:10:51 pm »

It's not a game, it's a MOD. A free mod. And it's in the alpha stage. That means every version is an unfinished version. By downloading the mod, I am an alpha tester. I'm not supposed to be playing the game to enjoy it (although I do, and many others do) I'm supposed to be testing it. Then I report bugs I encounter or things that need re-balancing. And then the next update is released.

I'm not sure what you would call a "finished" version anyways... the final standalone game?

EDIT: If you're talking about version 1.7.2.3, it seems like none of the servers are running it. They're all on 1.7.2. Maybe there was a problem with the patch or something... but either way it's impossible to actually play 1.7.2.3 since you can't get on a server that uses it. If you're talking about 1.7.2.... *shrugs* it works okay for me.

A Version that actually can be played? I mean, i cant join a server at all..

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 13, 2012, 05:15:49 pm »

Its an alpha it may happen, you update you hunt bugs you fix and add stuff and repeat. When Cataclysm (the zombie RL) was earlier in development it crashed all the time, and people understood it was in development its suposed to have parts that fail, i dont get why go mad whit this one, its the non-ascii graphics or what?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 13, 2012, 05:52:01 pm »

Its an alpha it may happen, you update you hunt bugs you fix and add stuff and repeat. When Cataclysm (the zombie RL) was earlier in development it crashed all the time, and people understood it was in development its suposed to have parts that fail, i dont get why go mad whit this one, its the non-ascii graphics or what?

I love Arma's graphics for a change. Hunting bugs is impossible when you cant even get into the gameplay, its like asking someone to test drive a car when it has no wheels or fuel, or a steering wheel for that sake.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 13, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »

http://goo.gl/roqk

Hey! Don't look at me like that everyone wanted to!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

The Mechanical Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Brian Steelhelm the Disciplined
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 13, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »

Hunting bugs is impossible when you cant even get into the gameplay, its like asking someone to test drive a car when it has no wheels or fuel, or a steering wheel for that sake.

That's a bug itself. If you can't play, there's obviously something wrong that needs to be fixed. Could you play previous versions like 1.7.1.5?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:43:25 am by The Mechanical Man »
Quote from: XxoriginxX
The upside is that I have meat stores at around 1200 units now. And the bones... oh, the sweet, sweet bones...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 13, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »

If you're not playing a game to enjoy it then I don't know what the..?!

I mean it's cool that it's an alpha, but the tradeoff for people testing his game for him, and the huge popularity and success it's brought him is that people aren't doing all this out of the goodness of their hearts to make sure his game is bug free. It's because they want to play a fun zombie game. They aren't going and buying arma2 combined ops because they have some secret desire to play buggy unfinished stuff, it's because so many others have said "hey this game is really cool right now, come play it!"

I'm not trying to directly pick at you, but I see this arguement a lot and it's a bit disenguous to suggest that the only reason we're allowed to play this game/ should want to play this game, is out of some selfless charitable free software tester desire. That's not to mention that if it was really about fixing all the bugs, then shouldn't that be the focus, and not adding in new gamebreaking-bug riddled gameplay mechanics handfulls at a time?

It's the same sentiment people use when an MMO gives you beta access if you purchase the game: "Oh you're supposed to be beta testing so you can't get mad about anything, they're doing you a favour letting you play it so be gratefull!" No. It's a two way street and both parties (dev and player) get something out of it. DayZ is a game, and people can get upset about broken things in the game however or whyever they chose, just like with any other game.

Maybe it's because you can get your ARMA 2 cd key banned with no explanation or chance at appeal. Maybe that's why people are treating this like it's not just some alpha testing experiment with no consequences?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 13, 2012, 07:18:32 pm »

Maybe it's because you can get your ARMA 2 cd key banned with no explanation or chance at appeal. Maybe that's why people are treating this like it's not just some alpha testing experiment with no consequences?

If true this is rather disheartening. I've never liked the Battleye anti-cheat that ARMA has, it seems to kick people for no reason what so ever. Any recorded examples of this happening? Might make me consider playing this for a while.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 13, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »

There aren't any recorded examples, because if you get banned BattleEye refuse to provide any evidence, tell you why you were banned, or even entertain the notion of an appeal. They literally just say "You know what you did, and we don't ever make errors!"

Bear in mind theres a forum post somewhere where one of the DayZ devs or forum admins says you can get banned for killing people in the debug forest that the game spawns you in sometimes. And nowhere in the game does it inform you of this, also there's nothing to stop anyone else who is also spawned there from just shooting you in the legs (or shooting around you, or just wounding you, etc), forcing you to defend yourself. The only negative thing of shooting someone in the debug forest is you die.

And thats just relatively innocent actions. To play devil's advocate for a moment:

All the people who run scripts to spawn guns/helis/turn everyone into dogs, whatever. They get banned too (I would assume, they did that huge ban wave a while ago because of this?) but all they're doing is running scripts in the game, which the server runs and pushes out to every other client because of the way ARMA 2 is designed. There's still nothing stopping anyone from doing this, and while it's kind of a dick move when some invincible teleporting thermal sniper dude murders you, it's nothing that can't be solved by just banning them from a server. The only reason it's such a big deal is because DayZ has this permenance thing about it (permenance in an alpha experiment that you don't get to complain about when bugs kill your character, no less).

To take it a step further, if you were paying to host your own DayZ server, and decided you fancied flying around in a chinook to pick up your friends so you could all kill zombies together, battleeye could flag your spawning it in and ban you and you'd not only have no explanation but also no recourse for appeal. (granted I assume that server admins probobly don't need to use these specific scripts to spawn stuff, and battleeye supposedly just checks for snippets of specific scripts which it flags as bannable). But you're still in a situation where on one hand this alpha experiment mod is losing people their CD keys, and on the other hand you're not allowed to take it seriously or express any problems with the direction the game is going. It just seems really inconsistent to me, though I get that impression from Rocket's handling of the mod in general.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 13, 2012, 07:46:44 pm »

Thanks for the info. I think I'll take a bigger interest in how this is developing now, if just out of curiosity.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 13, 2012, 10:37:09 pm »

fenrif, you really should come to expect this kind of stuff by now. If not, let this be a lesson. Don't get pulled into the hype of anything. You'll ALWAYS be disappointed. Go into everything with a skeptical eye and low expectations.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 14, 2012, 12:57:21 am »

@Fefnir: I think you got some points wrong.

1) Killing in the debug forest its considered exploiting a glitch/bug, anyone with more than 1 month in gaming knows thats bad, you can get banned, but you get banned FROM THE SERVER, you still can play ARMA 2, its not like you are putting your CDKey in danger.
2) People runing scripts to blab la bla: Thats plain and simple cheating, same as anyother game, break the rules pay the price.
3) In a persistent game doing things like that is obviously not permited, i dont think i have to explain why, specially when your character carries over another servers. You also enumerated all the wrong reasons to have a server. Want to do that? Go to regular arma, hop on a choper and spawn zombies with your friends.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 14, 2012, 01:24:51 am »

That said, his other points about the ability to appeal bans being completely useless are pretty valid. It's like VAC banning. I live in fear of something going wrong or someone messing with my computer because once you're banned, they won't give you the time of day, much less hear you out.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 58