Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524268 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2085 on: March 17, 2016, 06:26:17 pm »

Hiss hiss, how do I LA Ctisss?

Also how to forge runesmasher? And what is the way to achieve maximum penetration on mage?
One way to do it is get a double Blood/Death major bless and send a blob of mummy snakes at people.  They'll have so much health that most enemies won't be able to kill them without dying themselves and the death bless lets them get through all that silly plate armor everyone in LA likes using.

Scales wildly depending on how quickly you can get death gems together, so pay attention to what the game's settings are.

Alternately, use their cost efficient infantry (particularly their dual wielders) and banefire supported by tomb chariots and maybe some undead chaff if friendly fire becomes a problem.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: March 20, 2016, 11:01:08 am »

Did Desura just die? ;-;7

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: March 20, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

The domain hasn't expired, transfer is still prohibited, the dns resolves to amazon aws*, and AWS's status page is all green checkmarks, so maybe desura's subscription to amazon aws* just ran out?

* Yes, I realize I'm saying "Amazon Amazon Web Services," but the url is amazonaws.com, so there.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: March 20, 2016, 01:55:29 pm »

I usually have trouble spending all my water and fire gems so it works out.
Heathen! Have you no respect for the two best items in the game: water bottles and fire lamps?

Great items... Once you get to const-6. It usually takes a while for me to justify going past const-4. Those gems build up fast when I'm distracted by shiny summons, evocs and other fun bits in other schools.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: March 20, 2016, 10:19:56 pm »

Heathen! Have you no respect for the two best items in the game: water bottles and fire lamps?
That explains a lot.  :P

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: March 21, 2016, 09:49:02 am »

Great items... Once you get to const-6. It usually takes a while for me to justify going past const-4. Those gems build up fast when I'm distracted by shiny summons, evocs and other fun bits in other schools.
If I've got fire mages and any kind of fire gem income, I prioritize construction 6 as much as I possibly can - you really cannot believe what a difference it makes to your research - at the price of a mere 5 fire gems, each lightless lantern gets you an extra upkeep-free researching mage. Combine that with whatever your normal fort production is and you'll see your research/turn grow exponentially... well, until you run out of gems and/or mages to hold lanterns.

(Note: not responsible for any mages which may get eaten by the horrible creatures of the abyss. I do not recommend giving your pretender a lightless lantern, unless you're interested in seeing what doom-level horrors look like.)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:51:10 am by AlStar »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: March 21, 2016, 10:06:55 am »

I remember the SC frame I once made which was built to last against horrors and then trying to stack as many horror marks on it as possible. Hot damn the horrors that eventually appear are crazy. Is there even anything that can consistently win from the most dangerous horrors?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: March 21, 2016, 10:47:10 am »

Giant/high hp full slot prophet in the middle of a GoH dominion, major N bless and whatever kit you need to keep from getting instakilled from soul slay or whatev'? Properly equipped prophet golem, maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: March 21, 2016, 03:05:34 pm »

Although I suppose I can test this when I get home, does anyone happen to know how blood mages (in this case, specifically ones with blood magic only) interact with their orders?

Will "conservative use of gems" make it so they don't cast any blood magic at all off-script, or just slow down the consumption of slaves?

If a mage is set to cast spells, but can't (because they've got no slaves, and have no other valid spells), what will they do? Sit around? Charge heroically at the enemies, hoping to punch them to death? Something else?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: March 21, 2016, 03:24:11 pm »

Although I suppose I can test this when I get home, does anyone happen to know how blood mages (in this case, specifically ones with blood magic only) interact with their orders?

Will "conservative use of gems" make it so they don't cast any blood magic at all off-script, or just slow down the consumption of slaves?

If a mage is set to cast spells, but can't (because they've got no slaves, and have no other valid spells), what will they do? Sit around? Charge heroically at the enemies, hoping to punch them to death? Something else?

Blood mages without slaves will cast "Sabbath Slave" for as many turns as they're able.  However, Blood/Fire mages will cast "Blood Boil", which doesn't take slaves.

I think the real question you should be asking is: Will "conservative use of gems" allow blood mages to even use blood slaves?

After the first couple levels of research, most mages have something they can spam (even if its useless), so having no spells is a rare occurrence.  I'm pretty sure mages unable to cast anything do in fact do nothing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: March 21, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »

A mage who can't cast spells just sits there doing nothing. They don't try to get closer, or switch to attacking, or anything else.

Blood mages can use slaves that other folks on their side of the battle have brought. (I don't recall if they have to be nearby, though)

I'd try to answer more of your questions (having just finished a game where I used blood magic heavily), but can't, really, because I almost never used blood magic in battle, since I figured it was (1) a waste of slaves compared to what else I could do with them (blood sac, high-end mass demon summons, infernal disease), (2) a waste of low-level blood mages who could be blood hunting instead.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: March 21, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »

A mage who can't cast spells just sits there doing nothing. They don't try to get closer, or switch to attacking, or anything else.

Blood mages can use slaves that other folks on their side of the battle have brought. (I don't recall if they have to be nearby, though)

I'd try to answer more of your questions (having just finished a game where I used blood magic heavily), but can't, really, because I almost never used blood magic in battle, since I figured it was (1) a waste of slaves compared to what else I could do with them (blood sac, high-end mass demon summons, infernal disease), (2) a waste of low-level blood mages who could be blood hunting instead.

Obviously, AlStar is desperate in whatever blood scheme he's cooking up.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: March 21, 2016, 04:01:12 pm »

Talking about a waste, i do love the concept of horror marks, but I recall they where useless in dom3 and it was always better to mind hunt or wish-spam or do anything else excep that. Does it have bite, now in dom4?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: March 21, 2016, 04:11:27 pm »

I remember the SC frame I once made which was built to last against horrors and then trying to stack as many horror marks on it as possible. Hot damn the horrors that eventually appear are crazy. Is there even anything that can consistently win from the most dangerous horrors?
Mindless units are horror mark immune, barring you handing them a lightless lantern maybe. I have not seem a reason to hand a golem a lightless lantern.

Talking about a waste, i do love the concept of horror marks, but I recall they where useless in dom3 and it was always better to mind hunt or wish-spam or do anything else excep that. Does it have bite, now in dom4?
Well, horror marking is free, the main thing about it is to kinda doom the unit you are fighting to a slow death of a thousand cuts. Cursing and horror marks can cut down the effectiveness of Super Combatants. Also, if the SC in question, or a mage has an item that casts returning on them when hit, then I'm pretty sure it would kill them by retreating if a horror attacked them and sent them returning, due to how assassinations worked.

If you have 20 slaves to spare, maybe you can use a horror seed at blood 9 and have a unit discretely horror mark and spread parasitic horrors in an enemy army. Given it's a unit in the army, it will travel with that army and horror mark things until it is killed, at which point it's true self is revealed and it attacks everyone. Fun for the whole family, but maybe use it for a war going on between two people you dislike.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: March 21, 2016, 04:33:37 pm »

Got my dragon pretender horror marked a few times during an early war. I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall him fighting a horror late in the game and surviving and possibly being attacked again and dying. Of course he had been long since relegated to site searching/dom pushing.

We're talking about one or two province raid's worth of horror marks by one or two defending S mages. It was a complete non-issue for me. You'd have to seriously stack those marks to make something happen in a reasonable time frame.

edit:

ohgod Horror Seed is horrible. First nothing and then boom, army gone. World really goes to hell during Ascension Wars.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:38:21 pm by Delta Foxtrot »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 236