Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 651198 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

I'd guess the low power is supposed to help balance the gimmicks.  When you don't, you end up with stuff like Uber Stance Change Aegislash, once-Uber pre-revision Shadow Tag Wobbuffet, or the ubiquitous Rotom-Wash where one form dominates the others.  On the other hand, I can't help but wish that list were a bit longer; I think that being a bit too powerful would be better than the sorry state that Castform, Furfrou, or Wormadam maintain at present.  I suppose technically the legendaries also get their own gimmicks, but that doesn't really count since legendaries really should be rather unique. 

Then again, we don't actually know that Oricorio is that weak.  If it has good mixed offensive stats, you might be able to design it to switch into a Dragon Dance or Quiver Dance then counter-sweep.  If it copies its teammates in doubles, you can send it out with a Dancer, and have it both boost and attack every turn.  Even if it isn't the second coming of Aegislash, it could end up like Aromatisse, which was initially mocked until people realized its unique gimmick made it flat-out immune to Taunt along with its partner(s), which gave it a unique niche in Singles, Doubles, and Triples. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:23:41 pm by Culise »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile

but...the vulipx was pallet swaped....and not all deltas in the tcg were ethiere
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because that's like 90% of the roster.

PERKERMERN

Z-moves sound pretty dumb, but I said the same thing about mega so I guess we'll see what happens.
Some of these are incredible.

Flamie
Blaze
Wepinb
Gallop
Spirit
Spectre
Phantom
Lucky

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because that's like 90% of the roster.

PERKERMERN

Z-moves sound pretty dumb, but I said the same thing about mega so I guess we'll see what happens.
I'm the inverse of this. I still think mega forms are dumb, but Z-Moves have actually piqued by interest. They could've came up with a better name for it, but meh.

In regards to that pic: I really hope that someone makes a ROM hack with the only change being the addition of those names. :P
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So we have Megas, Sub-Megas, and now Mega Moves

Ok... Usually about this point they would introduce bastardization. Like... Pokémon who can use moves from the pokeball.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

So we have Megas, Sub-Megas, and now Mega Moves

Ok... Usually about this point they would introduce bastardization. Like... Pokémon who can use moves from the pokeball.
Hmmm, there would be precedent...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Quote from: Alola Exeggutor
The people of Alola boast that the Alolan Exeggutor is the true form of Exeggutor.
That's really something to get worked up over :P
Quote from: Oricorio
Oricorio changes its form by sipping the nectar of certain flowers. Since it has four different forms—the same as the number of islands in Alola—it would seem that different Oricorio live on each of the islands.
Is this a nod to Darwin's Finches? I feel like it is.
Quote from: Gumshoos
Gumshoos can withstand a great deal of hunger.
For when he can't afford instant noodles.

And on a more serious note:
Oricorio has the new Dancer Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. If another Pokémon in the field uses a dancing move, then Oricorio will be able to use the same move immediately afterward, thanks to its Dancer Ability.
Sounds situational until you think about double/triple/Royale battles. You could build a team of Oricorio for double/triple battles that just use dancing moves over and over to get free buffs and attacks in. I hope they can learn Baton Pass.

Also I photoshopped the pose a little for my own amusement
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I thought megas were great for the metagame and brought a lot of cool stuff into play.  There are no megas in PU either so you can still play without them.  Furfrou is also good in PU, along with some other jokemon.

Speaking of which, if you could pick five new megas to see in Sun/Moon what would they be?  Whether it's strong, thematic, or just funny.

Mega Nidoking with Protean.

Mega Marowak, Ground/Ghost with Parental Bond.

Mega Spinda with Moody

I won't say Mega Noivern with Aerilate cause that's stupid and obvious, but Mega Noivern with Aerilate.

Mega Weavile with Adaptability.

Oh, and Contrary mega Pangoro.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:21:00 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile

i think a mega vivilion would be cool.

maybe a mega rapidash
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought megas were great for the metagame and brought a lot of cool stuff into play.  There are no megas in PU either so you can still play without them.  Furfrou is also good in PU, along with some other jokemon.
I can agree with that, but it still feels too Digimon-y and unneeded in my opinion. Except for Mawile, the poor sod.

Speaking of which, if you could pick five new megas to see in Sun/Moon what would they be?  Whether it's strong, thematic, or just funny.
I'd have to go with:

Empoleon with Huge Power.

Flygon with Sand Veil.

Typhlosion with Flame Body and some better moves.

Raichu with Lightning Rod.

And finally, Farfetch'd with Guts and dual-wielding leeks.

Granted, we're probably not going to see any new starter megas until the next remake, but still.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Feraligatr and Meganium with Swift Swim and Chlorophyll, though giving them weather abilities is kind of lazy.  Raichu's hidden ability is already lightning rod, though I guess making it his mega would solve the moveset issue.

Still, if we're keeping lightning rod he's gotta get something else to make it fun.

How about Flying/Electric Mega-Raichu with Lightning Rod?  With a Raiden hat.

Some stupid ones:

Mega Grumpig, Fighting/Psychic with a special version of justified.

Mega Klinkklang with levitate.

Mega Eevee with Protean.

Mega Shuckle with Mold Breaker.
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Oricorio has the new Dancer Ability that no other Pokémon has had before. If another Pokémon in the field uses a dancing move, then Oricorio will be able to use the same move immediately afterward, thanks to its Dancer Ability.
Sounds situational until you think about double/triple/Royale battles. You could build a team of Oricorio for double/triple battles that just use dancing moves over and over to get free buffs and attacks in. I hope they can learn Baton Pass.
As someone who plays triple battles almost to the point of exclusivity I'm not too worried about it.  First off we don't know too much about how exactly it works. 
* Does it replace your preselected move? (probably not) 
* Is it limited to one use per turn? (probably not)
* Does taunt prevent the copied move from activating? (probably)
* Does the activation have a unlimited range in triples? (as in will it be able to copy a dance from a left side pokemon when it's on the right? and, probably)
* Is the pokemon actually bulky enough to survive a round of triples when your opponent knows exactly what yer doing without a first turn protect? (hell no) 
* Does it have decent moves to make use of the stat boosts or at least baton pass? (Who knows)

And second when people do bring pokes that are pretty much just one trick ponies to triples they tend to get countered hard. 

I don't think I've lost a fight in cartridge triples because of something using Dark Void in ages.  It's a similar thing to exploder electrodes, sturdy shedinjas, and beat up terrakion.  It becomes incredibly obvious what you are doing and once people have lost to it once or twice they'll make a modification to their team (often slight) that shuts your plan down in one, maybe 2 moves.

In this case, a quick feint to break the obvious turn one protect then probably any reasonably damaging move, and yer opponent is one poke down, your opponent has probably spent their first turn buffing (which while not useless, is less impactful than in singles), and you still have one poke free to lay in some hurt to the rest of the team.  And that's just what I came up with in a minute or so.  It could probably be countered more efficiently.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

sturdy shedinjas
Another BHer?
Although sturdy shedinja isn't the best example, it really wants to be a pivot more than a sweeper.

Better example is probably Contrary anything, which indeed is fairly easy to counter with a decent number of moves (Prankster with Heart Swap or Topsy-Turvey) not to mention the ubiquitous Imposter Chansey/Blissey.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

The one I really hate is shell smash Cloyster.  It could be such a good late game cleaner but everyone I see with it throws it out immediately, then immediately forfeits if it gets countered.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 463