Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are swords useful?  (Read 1205 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Are swords useful?
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:28:05 am »

I like using swords when butchering conservatives, but in the long run, are they actually that useful?  Sure, they don't take up ammo, but I believe that guns do more damage, or so I heard.  Another question...is the armor thing that you can buy in the oubliette ( or however its spelled ) really good for protection?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Are swords useful?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:37:40 am »

The armor thing is, if I recall correctly, worse than a trenchcoat. As for the usefulness of swords, they do have certain advantages, like never hitting a friendly character, never completely destorying armor (I think), using no ammo and gaining bonus from high strength. However, rifles do, I think, more damage and have their advantages as well - they have a higher chance of succeeding in a datenap, are plentiful and so is their ammo, match with army bodyarmor (M16 only I think) and, most important, the rifle skill is readily found on soldiers, agents similar NPCs so it's easy to kidnap one to train a squad of passable riflemen. Basically, the best part in swords is the Multiplier by Awesomeness.

I think clubs are still quite useless. I did once beat a game with clubs only, 'twas rather interesting.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:50:39 am »

Which club did you use?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:53:30 am »

I used the somewhat [lovely] Wizard Staff, which is worse than the Maul which is (or was? don't know) still very bad.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:21:56 am »

Who cares if they're useful, They have the awesome factor of taking down Conservism with a sword.
Plus you used to be able to bifurcate tanks with them, which  was sweet
*Hugs*

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 05:36:41 am »

They are useful AND awesome, albeit less useful than rifles but yet useful enough to handle most situations.

For added awesomeness, whenever a member dies and I have a Liberal bury them, their sword is passed on to a child rescued from the factories... with their spirit living on, slitting the throats of unwary conservatives!

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »

Their main use is to look cool with a trenchcoat so you can pretend you are Wesley Snipes slashing the limbs out of conservative vampires 8)
-
Plus you used to be able to bifurcate tanks with them, which  was sweet
Used to? That feature sounds so awesome, why was it removed?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:14:51 pm »

Because it was a bug.
An awesome one, to be fair, but still a bug
*Hugs*