Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 76

Author Topic: Ardentdikes - Absolute disaster - (31.25) (Succession)(Need Players!)  (Read 213774 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ardentdikes - Our mayor is hardcore - (31.25) (Succession)
« Reply #705 on: May 18, 2011, 01:53:54 am »

Dear Family

Now that my exile is over, I feel that I may stay on for a bit.  This place is rather peaceful and the management is rather consistent.  We have a disproportionate number of mismatched gloves and are now hoarding steel;

We seem to have a revolving door policy in the Forgotten Beast area of the caverns.  As soon as one leaves, another, even stranger looking, arrives and takes up residence.  Still only ever four down there.

A delightful interlude occurred when a gremlin was found hovering around some levers.  It soon ended well with a little dismemberment, but someone really needs to work out how it got in.  Every time I go walking around the deep tunnels, I get lost, and with the racket the FB’s are making, with their partying and loud music, it’s rather intolerable.

Here's a dwarf and his dog being surprised And here's a dead gremlin.

Administration seems to be the new craze? Perhaps there's something in it...

Anyway, the latest Vile Force of Darkness was fun, even though it did involve some loss.  And, of course, someone got moody during the invasion...

Soon turned into

Unfortunately, one of the recruits was struck down in the mayhem.  I assume she's been buried somewhere - goodness knows there's enough coffins lying around the fortress.

And, during the invasion, we noticed a strange presence;

Good luck to whoever has to settle THAT ghost.  And it wouldn't be a normal mass goblin invasion without;

And that's all from my year!  Consolidation, with me being slightly overwhelmed at first, realising I'd never understand all the levers or the layout - I managed to find the magma smelters and the jewellers twice each during the year, and the craftdwarves workshops only once.  But I built a new entrance, mined some minerals, built a LOT of bins and tidied up outside a fair bit, only using a little magma. Good luck with the fortress...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:48 am »

Time to kick some donkeys has arrived. Ardentdikes, here I cooooome!..

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2011, 07:44:39 am »

Time to kick some donkeys has arrived. Ardentdikes, here I cooooome!..

We're (more) doomed.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 18, 2011, 07:49:04 am »

HOLY SHIT. This fort is HUGE. And my project from year 2 still sits unfinished  >:( Well, whatever.

I noticed a particularly interesting thing in the caverns:
Z0:

Z1:

The only thing that separates a small pool in caverns and the magma sea is a single cavern floor. A single, thin, easily cave-in'able cavern floor. Let's have some fun.

While this is happening, I'm going to test my 'perpetual crusher'. Since nobody here wanted to answer, I'll have to use dorfs as my test subjects. Oh, also this is the first time ever I'm using pressure plates (actually second time, but first time it didn't work). Dorfs, fear the day Dariush's reign over you has started. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Edit: and while I'm at it, I'm going to order myself the most decadent and awesome tomb I can think of. Which is going to be pretty decadent and awesome, I assure you.

Edit2: and while I'm at 'while I'm at it', I'll make the default state of the main courtyard as being filled with MAGMA.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:54:23 am by Dariush »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 18, 2011, 08:27:37 am »

Spoiler: Plans for my tomb (click to show/hide)
Oh, and the whole place is going to be covered in adamantine, gold and platinum statues. And will have it's own elite guard. And will be engraved by the best engravers our realm has to offer. Vanity, thy name is me.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 18, 2011, 08:37:35 am »

How could I forget? My Merchant Cather v2.0 stands untested! This must be solved immediatly. For anybody interested, here are the plans:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Preparations for my tomb are going full speed:
Almost everyone in the fortress in enlisted either in mining, stone detailing or strand extracting. I'm going to let this run for a while...

Great. An FB has got in through the adamantine mining site. At least I saw it fast enough to deduct where is the breach...

How exciting.

An ambush struck at the least convenient time, taking the lives of a bone doctor and one of the palace guards.

Seriously, all it took to down an experienced elite warrior is two stabs?

GodFUCKINGdammit. Why are those dorfs so FUCKING stupid?!

Just as expected, my crusher doesn't work. Fuck this shit. Maybe tomorrow all this will make a bit more sense.

Oh, and my attempt at cave-inning a cavern lake into the magma sea failed because those FUCKING dorfs were pants-wettingly scared of an FB 3 z-levels below and 10 tiles away that hasn't moved for the entire year. ARMOK, WHY DID YOU DAMN ME?!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 02:05:34 pm by Dariush »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 18, 2011, 08:45:05 am »

Uh... where is the lever controlling the dambridge near the southern side of the map?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:55:29 am by Dariush »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 18, 2011, 10:07:55 am »

Pull any lever. Armok will be pleased.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 19, 2011, 12:16:07 am »

Uh... where is the lever controlling the dambridge near the southern side of the map?

I was in charge for a year, and didn't notice a bridge on the south side.

Try towards the eastern part, down a level or two.  Most of the labelled functioning levers were there.  Mind you, most don't seem to do anything at the moment...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 19, 2011, 04:45:37 am »

Holy shit, I'm an idiot.

Alright, back to work. Even though the needed block has fallen, the resulting hole was sealed up by obsidian, so I chose another way of draining the lakes:

An accident on the tomb construction took the lives of Xenos and some nameless miner. Well, it could be worse - my tomb could have been harmed!...

It seems that my crusher idea didn't work because the water is sucked up by pumps before it can trigger the plate. It looks like we'll have to do it oldschool way, lever + some peasant.

Some useless fool produced an adamantine low boot. Well, at least now we have legendary... someone.

Uh-oh, we've run out of tombs. Well, it's certainly nice to have so many nice open spaces around the fortress, perfectly suited for burial...

The moment of truth...

I'm too lazy to make another screenshot, but it worked.

Since my Merchant Catcher v2.0 is progressing stupefyingly slowly, I'm ordering a couple more mechanic's workshops built and every peasant to work continuously on mechanisms. That'll teach those damn idiots.

Ugh. This place is so dull. To spice things up I ordered a random threwing of weapon traps around the fort:

I ran out of alunite and marble and uneconom'd all other stone. Why was it econom'd, anyway?..

Also I forgot to mention it earlier, but I'm resuming the pyramid over the courtyard and making an awesome magma pump.

I consolidated our military - deleted all squads, created two brand new that housed only the exceptional warriors, assigned them barracks and a proper schedule.

Great, another strange mood and an armor stand out of some rock I've never even heard of. Time to disable pause on mood announcing...

OH SHI

OH SH

OH Sno wait.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:13:35 am by Dariush »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:12 am »

What tileset is that? Looks nice.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 19, 2011, 10:20:06 am »

The default one  ;D

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:37 am »

All right, I'm done with this. I only completed 11 months, since I have a load of things to do today which I certainly won't have time to do if I finish the year; also all dwarves are busy so there's nothing to do in-game.

Here's the map and here's the save.

I would have written some notable things for the next overseer to finish, but I won't since nobody reads those anyway.

Edit: And Daetrin, my nick is spelled 'Dariush', not 'Darisuh'   ;)

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 19, 2011, 12:05:09 pm »

All right, I'm done with this. I only completed 11 months, since I have a load of things to do today which I certainly won't have time to do if I finish the year; also all dwarves are busy so there's nothing to do in-game.

Here's the map and here's the save.

I would have written some notable things for the next overseer to finish, but I won't since nobody reads those anyway.

Edit: And Daetrin, my nick is spelled 'Dariush', not 'Darisuh'   ;)
I'll blame trying to type on an Android keyboard. 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »

The default one  ;D
Looks pretty modified.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 76