Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1192606 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 191.0 Crispy good and Unexpected complications
« Reply #6240 on: September 30, 2016, 08:58:11 pm »

Is it just me or is it getting hot in here? Oh wait. It is getting hotter here. I see that the fire portal tree thing is either growing larger or more powerful. I better see what I can do about that. Let operation, don't let the elemental plane of fire consume EVERTHING begin. It seems I'll need to start the ritual early or risk destroying the portal.

Begin The Following Ritual:
Summon a Flying Fortress built primarily out of blades.

Sacrificial Item #1: The  Portal to The Elemental Plane Of Fire (fire-tree)
The purpose of this item is to serve as an infinite power source/the core of the flying fortress.

Blade essence +1CMP
Blade essence +1POT

Unfortunately for you, I'm already using the portal for a ritual. Sorry 'bout that.

I'll offer you a compromise, though: when I'm done with what I'm doing right now, I could let you use the portal to provide heat for an engine (WITHOUT consuming it; that's non-negotiable) if you'll let me make the fortress the capital of my soon-to-be-formed slave empire. My elementals could even man it!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:00:00 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: September 30, 2016, 11:25:16 pm »

Viznor glances down at Kahel.

"Know, ghostly one, that I do not relish the prospect of your end. I do not wish to eliminate you, and I do not desire your soul. I am merely a defender of what peace exists in this place, and I will do what must be done to preserve it."

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: October 01, 2016, 01:43:50 am »

"Interesting choice of an opponent, then, Viznor. I was always courteous to ones that were working for the good of a whole community, eliminating the self-sustaining loners. Maybe you should just throw false righteousness facade and say that you come to kill me just because you want?
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:01 am »

"The Seer has condemned your murderous path on the basis of preserving what little order exists in this realm. The validity of his judgement is subjective. I, on the other hand, having lived as one of your so-called 'self-sustaining loners', know what it's like to be disturbed and hunted down by forces stronger than myself. Your termination shall bring me satisfaction."
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: October 01, 2016, 05:55:38 am »

Is it just me or is it getting hot in here? Oh wait. It is getting hotter here. I see that the fire portal tree thing is either growing larger or more powerful. I better see what I can do about that. Let operation, don't let the elemental plane of fire consume EVERTHING begin. It seems I'll need to start the ritual early or risk destroying the portal.

The purpose of this item is to serve as an infinite power source/the core of the flying fortress.

Blade essence +1CMP
Blade essence +1POT

You can use the Tree in a ritual but not as a sacrifice. It's too powerful for that. You can use the tree as a focus of your ritual but that's it.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: October 01, 2016, 06:19:02 am »

"Hm... Yes, I suppose you do have a point. Hm... What to do, what to do... Yes. I should be able grant you a good battle if you seek it. En garde, mages of 'Order'. Though there should be no thing such as 'Order' in this realm..."

Rush to Xom to finish him off, changing focus of the pyramid and blood fiend. Use sword and magic as needed. If I do the deed and gain the shards - crush them to complete my ghost state as it was planned initially.

((And I thought of taking Healing as third affinity from his death, you bastards! :P))

Hide from pyramid shot while attempting to turn on glass spider for additional distraction/attack, and using my blood to attack Illium.

((I think I still have thin ice shield to prevent dagger stabs/lazer shots a bit. Also, Xom was bleeding since the previous turn.))

If, somehow, all my actions miserably fail - flee in disgrace.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:43:30 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: October 01, 2016, 11:00:33 am »

"I know, Kahel, that murmured words will not prove my intentions. I merely ask you, as one mage to another, to consider the innocents who would be purged if I desired blood and destruction. Such acts are within my power, but I will not commit them."

"Order should not exist in this place. In that, we agree. But it has come, and I believe it to be good. Thus, I will defend and enforce it unto my last breath."

Secret actions.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: October 01, 2016, 12:06:58 pm »

Blade essence +1CMP
Blade essence +1POT

Unfortunately for you, I'm already using the portal for a ritual. Sorry 'bout that.

I'll offer you a compromise, though: when I'm done with what I'm doing right now, I could let you use the portal to provide heat for an engine (WITHOUT consuming it; that's non-negotiable) if you'll let me make the fortress the capital of my soon-to-be-formed slave empire. My elementals could even man it!

((You realize that you just admitted that your character is aligned with evil to the leader of TOAM. Thats akin to asking the president of the United States which country he/she roots for in the Olympics. Also the main point of my ritual appears to be to counteract yours, which I can only assume will endanger this world.

Now I will only tell you this once. Stop your ritual now before I stop it for you. You are surrounded by about 10 mages who would have no problem ripping your new character's head off. In addition, I don't even need a spell to stop your ritual. All I need to do is interrupt your spell casting, something which is fairly simple to do when you have hands capable of ripping out most opponents hearts and blades which are almost completely unbreakable.))
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: October 01, 2016, 12:41:53 pm »

Temperature around the fire tree begins to rise rapidly, at about 20C per minute. The heat seems to be concentrated around the tree but it is only a matter of time until it spreads.
((Counting this as sufficient IC evidence that Karnax is actually performing the ritual that he threatened earlier.))
Move toward Karnax, then cast a spell [PM'd].
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:42:11 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: October 01, 2016, 01:34:26 pm »

Move in from the opposite direction towards Karnax. Use Vortex Bane in one hand To cut off Karnax's head. while using the sword of summoning nearby objects in the other hand to summon Karnax's still beating heart.
3 Essences
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:53:43 am by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: October 01, 2016, 04:13:52 pm »

Blade essence +1CMP
Blade essence +1POT

((You realize that you just admitted that your character is aligned with evil to the leader of TOAM. Thats akin to asking the president of the United States which country he/she roots for in the Olympics. Also the main point of my ritual appears to be to counteract yours, which I can only assume will endanger this world.

Now I will only tell you this once. Stop your ritual now before I stop it for you. You are surrounded by about 10 mages who would have no problem ripping your new character's head off. In addition, I don't even need a spell to stop your ritual. All I need to do is interrupt your spell casting, something which is fairly simple to do when you have hands capable of ripping out most opponents hearts and blades which are almost completely unbreakable.))
Hee. Hehe ha. Hehe HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

[(probably hypocritical) rant]
Wow. TOAM, the group that is supposed to be a collection of mages who are paragons of good, are resorting to mafia-style tactics to keep anyone from opposing them. From wikipedia:

Article 416-bis of the Italian Penal Code defines a Mafia-type association (associazione di tipo Mafioso) as one where "those belonging to the association exploit the potential for intimidation which their membership gives them, and the compliance and omertà which membership entails and which lead to the committing of crimes ((i.e. murder)), the direct or indirect assumption of management or control of financial activities ((i.e. my attempt at creating a slave empire)), concessions, permissions, enterprises and public services for the purpose of deriving profit or wrongful advantages for themselves or others."

Admittedly, most of those highlights were just stretches to make TOAM fit the legal definition of a Mafia-type organization, but the point is that you are intimidating everyone around you into not doing anything that you don't like, which will likely lead to stagnation and boredom. This was supposed to be a DEATHMATCH, for crying out loud, and Whisperling is trying to kill Kahel for trying to participate in the main premise of the game! The only ways that any new player can try to increase their shard count is to try to kiss up to T.O.A.M., try to take on 10+ mages who gang up on him for trying to kill another mage, or grind in PvE (and we all know what happens to deathmatches that turn into PvE games...). Is effortlessly dogpiling any mage who you don't like fun for you (or them)? Is it?!
[/(probably hypocritical) rant]

Anyway, you know that I can reduce the heat generated by the portal while keeping the energy in the ritual intact, right? I just want to summon elementals while creating a way to defend myself at the same time. Is that so bad?

Also, if you don't like the heat, you can probably just move the tower. I mean, it moved from the previous island to here, right? Why don't you go search for the "move tower" joystick or whatever it is instead of murdering me for turning up the thermostat a bit from your preferred temperature? If there isn't one, Jase and James can probably move it with their affinities.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: October 01, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

Anyway, you know that I can reduce the heat generated by the portal while keeping the energy in the ritual intact, right? I just want to summon elementals while creating a way to defend myself at the same time. Is that so bad?
((Disregarding the TOAM rant because I am operating independent of any other actors that decided to join the fray.
Gambler is operating off of the following information:
"I hereby claim this land in the name of the Empire of the Eternal Sun. Terraforming will begin shortly. I recommend that anyone who does not want to slowly melt and eventually boil should prepare themselves for the coming heat or leave the metaphorical kitchen."
and
Temperature around the fire tree begins to rise rapidly, at about 20C per minute. The heat seems to be concentrated around the tree but it is only a matter of time until it spreads.
Considering that this area is:
A) Close to the spawn area
B) Close to the tower
and
C) Close to him
and that you have given no indication that you won't do so immediately, he would rather the area not become hot enough to cause "[people] to slowly melt and eventually boil", if only out of convenience. He would, for the record, be fine with the terraforming if it were done further away. If you make motions to show that you are not, in fact, going to heat up the land immediately in his vicinity, either through moving or through using the heat through other means, he will relent.))

((EDIT: Also, Gambler won't get involved in duels. Murder people individually all you want.))
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:36:36 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: October 01, 2016, 05:01:00 pm »

-snip pyramid
((That was an entertaining rant. Here is my reply:
1. I must inform you that slavery is immoral and may result in slave revolts.
2. I'd rather not melt/boil
3. You are terraforming WAY to close to the spawn chunks and the tower.
4. From the very start of TOAM one of the ideas was to combat evil aligned players. Your current character fits the bill nicely.
5. Not everyone thinks of the purpose of the game the same as you do. While in name it is a "Death-match", in practice it has turned more into a civilisation creation and wilderness exploration game. (I worked hard to make that rhyme)
6. Moving the tower takes time and energy which could be spent doing more productive things.
7. Heating things up is probably bad for the environment and bad for trees.
8. If you move away from the spawn chunk/tower then I will stop my attack on you.))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: October 01, 2016, 05:08:38 pm »

((You know, I do agree with you on certain points. But there are a few conditions attached.

-Do terraforming and make a fiery slave empire, if you like. Good for you, and I'd actually encourage it assuming you don't try enslaving actual players. The issue here is that you are doing it so close to everyone else, and that you have a reputation for mass murder.

-Sure, we can move the tower. But we won't, because we have better things to do. Find your own location.

As for the whole fighting/Kahel thing, I'm actually reasonably fine with it, on the condition that you guys mostly fight with other people who want to do PvP. When you're constantly harassing people who want no part in the duel and/or are much weaker than you, we have an issue. Also, mass murder. Don't do that.))

((It might be time for another mage council, actually. To try and resolve such things in a way acceptable to everyone. I'd be willing to ritual up an island-wide conference call if others are interested. Council chamber would be the backdrop, but I'm hesitant to host it in the actual tower again because that would open up a whole can of worms.))
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 05:10:12 pm by Whisperling »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: October 01, 2016, 05:13:04 pm »

((You know, I do agree with you on certain points. But there are a few conditions attached.

-Do terraforming and make a fiery slave empire, if you like. Good for you, and I'd actually encourage it assuming you don't try enslaving actual players. The issue here is that you are doing it so close to everyone else, and that you have a reputation for mass murder.

-Sure, we can move the tower. But we won't, because we have better things to do. Find your own location.

As for the whole fighting/Kahel thing, I'm actually reasonably fine with it, on the condition that you guys mostly fight with other people who want to do PvP. When you're constantly harassing people who want no part in the duel and/or are much weaker than you, we have an issue. Also, mass murder. Don't do that.))

((It might be time for another mage council, actually. To try and resolve such things in a way acceptable to everyone. I'd be willing to ritual up an island-wide conference call if others are interested. Council chamber would be the backdrop, but I'm hesitant to host it in the actual tower again because that would open up a whole can of worms.))
((As a knowledge mage, could u create what amounts to the mage version of skype or something to host a video-conference-esque thing?))
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 506