Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1904 Battle Phase  (Read 27257 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1901 Design Phase
« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

You will probably need a revision to something to jam a torpedo tube in somewhere, they have sufficiently different handling requirements that you cant just pull out a turret and drop on a tube.

I suppose you could go with waterline mounted setups, but those dont work all that well on larger boats. The Luu may be small enough that it has a decent turning circle and helm response and some notable naval powers did have that form of setup even on battleships(although refitted out the feature most of the time fairly quickly)...

Hey Joe? Are the really, really, really slim and unhelpful design descriptions an effort to allow you to use the same spoiler blocks for both sides, is it an effort to reduce word count, or is there some other reason I cannot decern? It doesn't look like its the first to me, and its strange that details like "this ship has turrets" or "this gun has this sort of magazine" are missing, particularly in things that have been about for a few years.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »

Swivel-mounted torpedo launchers existed. I'm fairly confident that we can get those as a part of designing a torpedo.
Long Live United Forenia!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2017, 04:22:14 pm »

I know they did. I commented that the likelihood of getting a free refit to ships with them is unlikely. Or atleast, refits that allow you to bring spare torpedoes and load them into the tubes at sea for free.

-edit-
Note the large space for torpedo stowage on the deck. I cant find a really good overhead view, but theres also a fair ammount of space dedicated to shifting the torpedoes about ondeck aswell which, unless yer engineers are insane, is already in use.
 Also, jeebus, this is a huge image.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:30:27 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2017, 09:56:39 pm »

Quote from: Vote
Design
Mogoi Torpedo: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman

Screw honorable, blow up more wannabe Egyptians.

I like the idea.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 27, 2017, 03:40:10 pm »

They are short, not because their copy pasted to each side, but because I have to make two versions of them and I mostly try not to spend too much time on the descriptions of the designs in play when the rest of the turn is already done and ready to go....And of course, as you stated, have less of a word count.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 04:45:08 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2017, 03:59:37 pm »

Well, if its just a time issue and trying to keep things short... I may be attempting to bite off far more than I can chew, but what would you say to the idea of my going back and writing up descriptions after the fact, or even sample descriptions while turns are ongoing?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 27, 2017, 09:07:58 pm »

Quote from: Vote
Design
Mogoi Torpedo: (3) NUKE9.13, Madman,khang

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2017, 03:34:43 pm »

Very Hard: 6
Mogoi Torpedo:
The Mogoi torpedo really is something, a warhead of explosives propelled through the water through the use of compressed air and a small three-cylinder radial engine that powers not a screw, but a propeller, and it is remarkably fast as well, much faster then the Luu, or the Naf's own ship. It is able to reliably keep its own depth and properly go in a straight line where it was fired thanks to a hydro stat and a pendulum. It should be mentioned that the warhead is decently powerful and should be able to punch a hole in the Nafunan's ships should it hit, however, it leaves a trail of bubbles as it goes through the water, which the Naf's might catch onto soon enough...Still, its a superior work of glorious Karikhitan engineering! We also fitted a single mount to each side of our ships that use compressed air, as the torpedo still works after being fired in such a way, despite concerns about it being to delicate. Whitehead wont suspect a thing.

It is now the Revision phase, the Khan has calmed down ever so slightly...
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1901 Revision Phase
« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2017, 06:47:43 pm »

Tsaasen Motors W3L-Mk1: There is a businessman in Karikhita who can tell which way the wind is blowing- and aforementioned wind is thick with the smell of petroleum. He has approached us with the offer to help design motors for use in military vehicles- for a price, of course. Well, we never say no to a little capitalist ingenuity. Welcome aboard, Mr Tsaasen.
For his first trick, Tsaasen has taken the radial engine used in the Mogoi, and rejigged it to work better as a combustion engine. The three pistons have all been moved to the top half of the engine- changing it from an upside-down Y to a W shape. This will prevent lubricants from clogging the ends of the pistons, as none of them face downwards, making the engine easier to maintain. The engine is air-cooled, has a 3 litre capacity, and is expected to produce ~12hp. It weighs less than the engine in the Tos-Mori- in fact, it is remarkably lightweight.
The W3L-Mk1 is intriguing, and although at present we have no use for it, it seems like a good investment.

This combines our ICE experience with experience from the Mogoi to make an engine that is period-appropriate, whilst developing nothing else. If this is harder than Hard I will be most surprised, and with the Mogoi rolling a 6, Normal seems quite plausible.

Quote from: Votes
Tsaasen Motors W3L-Mk1: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:46 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Tsaasen Motors W3L-Mk1: (2) NUKE9.13, Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 30, 2017, 07:38:20 pm »

Slick!

+1 Tsaasen

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2018, 01:30:15 pm »

On mobile but i will +1 the Tsaasen too. Good stuff

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 03, 2018, 04:15:23 pm »

Normal: 6
Tsaasen Motors W3L-Mk1:
The new engine by Tsaasen is quite remarkable. Its a lightweight yet powerful engine that is air cooled, has a decent 3 litre capacity and produces more horsepower then we thought, reaching 15hp, three more then we thought. Tests have also showed that the engine is much more robust then the engine the Tos-Mori had. Nothing short of hitting it hard with a hammer a couple of times on the pistons seems to damage it, and even then, unless it gets shot it can be fixed. To top it all off, Tsaasen's engine actually can fit into the Tos-Mori with some slight modifications. And tests with it have proven that it is quite useful, going 72 kilometers (or 45 miles if you are from Nafuna or Brittan) an hour on level ground with no turns. It may not be the fastest engine in the world, but its respectable especially given how it can accelerate decently as well. When used in place of the old engine, it still costs the same as what the Tos-Mori was when it had its old engine, 2 Ore, 1 Oil.

It is now the Battle Phase, the Khan is now enraged, but no longer a blazing mad inferno...Baby steps....

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1901 Battle Phase
« Reply #403 on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:32 am »

Heres to a third six in a row

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
Re: The Ameliorate War, An Arms Race game, Karikhita, 1901 Battle Phase
« Reply #404 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:13 am »

Ok, since we didn't reaaaally get an infantry upgrade this turn so I vote we just keep doing what we were doing, except we deploy the Tos-Mori this time!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33