Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28

Author Topic: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014  (Read 67880 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody ever freaking attacks me anymore in 2014
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2015, 05:45:57 pm »

On the Future of the Fortress thread, Toady posted a bunch of replies, one that should be interesting for this thread :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140544.msg6345218#msg6345218
  In current version while megabeast/undead can still come, when playing Fortress mode goblin sieges (extremely) rarely happen and sometime not at all in dozen of years of fortress running. Will this be improved in the upcoming version ? or will all those multi-species mixing in fort will make goblin siege even less likely ?
There was one pathing error that has been fixed for the next version that should improve the frequencies in some cases (some mountain embarks).  We'll have to see where it goes from there.  The species mixing doesn't change anything.

8th year summer in my fortress, and since the 2 sieges of the 7th year, there have been no gob coming to siege :(

My fort is much more wealthy than last year (non-stop legendary crafter working can do that), has more artifacts/named weapons , and piles of gobs/trolls remains in my self dug catacombs as a reminder that no living gob will manage to break our fort, only dead gobs will get in buried down there, i was expecting more sieges but nothing.

I had a human diplomat that came, the human had their civs in very bad shape in my world, i am surprised the gobs didn't finished them yet.
The thing is that this diplomat was a vampire that wasn't even hiding the fact he was one.

No unholy monster will be allowed in dwarven homes, my military destroyed this beast.

Considering he was not a hidden vampire, it means the humans knew and were accomplice to that evil, they will certainly come now to try to avenge their master definitive death,, but they will know they have choosen to follow that beast very unwisely when they'll face my legendary full armored squads (8 years of training do that too).

Isaac23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 02, 2015, 08:53:38 am »

I'm about to slaughter some humie merchants just to get them to attack me, my military is bored.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 02, 2015, 09:08:05 am »

Year 8 is finished on my fort and it was a completely boring one in regards to siege, neither goblins or humans came despite my wealth is now absurdly high, and liaison still mention that "world is the same as ever" and the civ screen confirm that goblins are still at war with us.

And speaking about wealth, still not understanding why my fort is only a barony, according to the requirements for county and duchy , i am way, way past those requirement in wealth and export

Despite that my fort is still a barony ... despite upgrade to county and duchy are automatic when requirement are met and liaison come, but liaison came several time without upgrading to nothing.

Oh well .. 9th year of that fort existence, probably the last as it's frankly boring to have so much of nothing coming despite they should, 34.11 sure has problems of its own, but at least you get sieges coming to you without all those uneventful years in between, so you don't get all those preparation and military training for nothing.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 02, 2015, 10:01:55 am »

This is what has been keeping me from playing lately. Sieges are important as they give you something to prepare for and deal with.. But getting them seems to be really erratic.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:49 am »

Year 8 is finished on my fort and it was a completely boring one in regards to siege, neither goblins or humans came despite my wealth is now absurdly high, and liaison still mention that "world is the same as ever" and the civ screen confirm that goblins are still at war with us.

And speaking about wealth, still not understanding why my fort is only a barony, according to the requirements for county and duchy , i am way, way past those requirement in wealth and export

900k doesn't sound to me like "absurdly high" amount of wealth. I got the first siege at like 700k after 3 years (depends on the scarcity of gems and metals in your world, of course). Also, I think in DF2014 the bigger amount of wealth can only help in getting you siege when goblins are actually looking where to go, and then only when you also look how other nearby sites are wealthy. But when goblins are too decimated they just can't muster siege party for some time.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 02, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

Absurdly high wealth in the sense that it's 3 times the amount i should need to have a duchy.

For the goblin numbers being decimated, it's simply not happening, they're still overwhelming in numbers in comparison to the other species, this experiment was made with a goblin fort that had goblin edited to have very high litter (default goblin only have "rare multiple litter") the goblins are then extremely numerous on that smaller world (i retired the fort temporarly to check and the nearby dark fortress is still having more than 10000 gobs and 5000 trolls).

They just don't come and as posted before, it maybe linked to what Toady mentionned about an army path bug that is fixed only for the next version of DF

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 02, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »

Absurdly high wealth in the sense that it's 3 times the amount i should need to have a duchy.
To be fair, I was around 1.8-1.9 million dwarfbucks created and 50k dwarfbucks exported (don't trade for much honestly) before I got a Baron, so it seems a little weird how it works. Another thing that should be looked into.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »

Yes, there's some bugs running through, on a previous fort i never actually got a mayor after 3 years.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2015, 06:08:14 pm »

So ... according to my newest experience I'll just say...

No-one attacking you? No !!FUN!! to be had? Dwarves lifespans are getting too long and their lifes become dull and pointless? Nobles unable to perform heroic deeds expected from them?

Embark near a tower. It will solve all your problems.

Like, seriously. On my last fortress I was attacked by 2 necromancers and 20+ undead after only three months, I had barely set up the basics for the fortress, not expecting such an early attack. The second siege with another 2 necromancers and 50+ undead came before the elven caravan - so at the start of the second year.
I decided to start a new fortress in the same world after that, also to see how long it will last or how it will "develop" when the history generation takes over. I wasn't entirely convinced by the design I used either, though it appeared to be quite efficient - but hard to set up, lots of work to be put in it.

Sadly I didn't get to the population required for the goblin sieges to start, so I can't say anything about that.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

Tower undead sieges work in df2014, it's more the goblins siege that have a problem, in fact undead siege is the only siege you're guaranteed to see without having to wait for lots of years on a fortress if you embark near a tower.

If only goblins sieges were as reliable or the undead not overpowered in df2014

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2015, 02:36:11 am »

Like, seriously. On my last fortress I was attacked by 2 necromancers and 20+ undead after only three months, I had barely set up the basics for the fortress, not expecting such an early attack. The second siege with another 2 necromancers and 50+ undead came before the elven caravan - so at the start of the second year.
I decided to start a new fortress in the same world after that, also to see how long it will last or how it will "develop" when the history generation takes over. I wasn't entirely convinced by the design I used either, though it appeared to be quite efficient - but hard to set up, lots of work to be put in it.

That is not Fun. It just forces you to turtle, use overpowered traps, and see your first migrant waves get brutally killed.

A siege at the end of second year is fine. A siege at three months is just ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:37:44 am by Naryar »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2015, 03:31:14 am »

That is not Fun. It just forces you to turtle, use overpowered traps, and see your first migrant waves get brutally killed.

A siege at the end of second year is fine. A siege at three months is just ridiculous.
Game perspective aside, from the simulation one those enemies are there not to wait so you have time to prepare for them. But,yes, the difference between "near tower" (strong attacks soon) and "not near tower" (strong attacks usually nowhere soon) may often be too big.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2015, 04:42:46 am »

Care posting a screenshot of legends mode detailing the war versus your civilization?  It may shed light on some patterns of invasions and such.  Perhaps goblins are busy attacking other sites that are nonetheless part of your civ.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »

This may seem obvious, but being the last standing fortress of your civilization seems to largely increase attacks.

As in, attack frequency is OK (aka: one attack per year) now instead of being insufferably low.

I seem to have messed up my Fortress Defense normal civ raws, though, because none of them are attacking.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 12:20:49 pm by Naryar »

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2015, 01:05:57 pm »

Is there a way to mod the raws that will make ambushes and sieges more common again?
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28