Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 944113 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #8430 on: December 21, 2014, 09:01:48 am »

Ya. I think the biggest downfall of early access is that game developing seems to have long periods of boring background work that you never see with normally produced games. It's like, a game is in development for 3-4 years from a big studio with tonnes of people, but if we get early access right in the alpha stages, we get upset if we don't get a v1.0 in a year. This is why I avoid early access now too.

I don't believe CF would have gotten quite this much flak if they hadn't posted such an optimistic release date on their website. They removed that release date a long time ago, but for a number of fans the expectation was there. And then there's the fact that updates were very frequent, until they stopped altogether. Daily/weekly blog aside, how did they expect fans to react? And how could they expect the game's modding scene to stay active?

Also, there are some games on Steam that have given "early access" a bad name by devs who completely dropped a project before ironing out all the game-breaking bugs or even finishing all the promised features. So the fear that other early access games might do similar is not completely unfounded.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: December 22, 2014, 05:26:38 pm »

I see nothing but complaints about this on the steam forums. People are calling it a 'tech demo' and a waste of money. They say it was released for sale before its worth buying and then people were lied to about new features. They basically did a money grab. I would not spend money on this for the forseeable future.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:48 pm »

I see nothing but complaints about this on the steam forums. People are calling it a 'tech demo' and a waste of money. They say it was released for sale before its worth buying and then people were lied to about new features. They basically did a money grab. I would not spend money on this for the forseeable future.

Okay. Glad to know.

It's like the public doesn't understand game/software development and like to fit reality to their biases so they can whine or something.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: December 22, 2014, 07:45:38 pm »

Okay. Glad to know.

It's like the public doesn't understand game/software development and like to fit reality to their biases so they can whine or something.
It's not quite that cut-and-dry. Chucklefish hasn't released an update since Q1, has been doing a horrible job of managing the community, and originally promised feature completion in 2014. People shouldn't be quite so angry, but there's certainly something to be upset about.

But yeah, people weren't actually lied to about features, since the game isn't done yet. Chucklefish isn't evil or anything; they just promised more than they could deliver.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:22 pm »

It's not quite that cut-and-dry. Chucklefish hasn't released an update since Q1, has been doing a horrible job of managing the community, and originally promised feature completion in 2014. People shouldn't be quite so angry, but there's certainly something to be upset about.

But yeah, people weren't actually lied to about features, since the game isn't done yet. Chucklefish isn't evil or anything; they just promised more than they could deliver.

Exactly this. And I cannot think of a single game that has ever delivered exactly what was in the original design document. It's not all sunshine and roses, but the blowup has been exaggerated to the point of parody.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: December 22, 2014, 08:32:56 pm »

Exactly this. And I cannot think of a single game that has ever delivered exactly what was in the original design document. It's not all sunshine and roses, but the blowup has been exaggerated to the point of parody.

Chalice, Divinity Original Sin... but those games don't count because they were completed while completing their original design document.

Ohh and DayZ is steadily completing its design document and so far isn't going to skimp on any of its intended features. Pixil Piracy delivered... FTL delivered.

Not delivering isn't QUITE as abiquous as you say.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:34:45 pm by Neonivek »

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: December 22, 2014, 08:40:12 pm »

Okay. Glad to know.

if you ever develop a product for sale and especially if your trying to get people to buy it before its done, I encourage you to make this your motto. I generally avoid buying things that are not done yet. I wouldn't buy a car under the non-contractually binding promise that it will be done. I wouldn't spend $5 on a hotdog from a guy walking around with a pig who is promising to slaughter it and make hotdogs to sell,but needs money to buy a butcher knife either.

they are asking for money before a product is done. the money being paid to them has no contractual obligations. I won't buy a half finished shirt. I won't buy a box of condoms that need kickstarter money to seal the holes, either.

I work in software development. I know how 'development works' Arguing that is word play to say 'pay us now and then shut up about it and go away until we say its done and if we vanish on you and deliver shit, too bad for you, this was a 'donation'.

btw, if the response is dwarf fortress is the same thing. no its not. the guy has a 10 year track record of delivering quality AND he gives it away for free and asks for money to develop it. Saying 'toady' does this is a lousy comparison. He is way more reliable and has a track record.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: December 22, 2014, 08:42:17 pm »

Not to mention Toady relies on donations. He isn't promising a product.

evilnancyreagan

• Bay Watcher
  • not regular type
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: December 22, 2014, 09:49:53 pm »

Really,

if the product is not in a state you where you find it enjoyable, do not part with your money.

If you buy promises, don't be surprised when you receive an empty box.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: December 22, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »

Really,

if the product is not in a state you where you find it enjoyable, do not part with your money.

Well, you don't have to be happy with the empty box.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:04 pm »

He isn't promising a product.
He's really not. Honestly, we're lucky to have him share his work at all. It's not like he has to, but I'm glad he does.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: December 22, 2014, 09:59:33 pm »

Really,

I'm reminded of the old cliché about kids enjoying empty boxes more then what was inside, but I don't know how that fits into the metaphor.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:05 pm »

Really,

I'm reminded of the old cliché about kids enjoying empty boxes more then what was inside, but I don't know how that fits into the metaphor.

People being more enamored with the "what if" when they make their payment, than the "what is?"
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:38 pm »

I work in software development. I know how 'development works' Arguing that is word play to say 'pay us now and then shut up about it and go away until we say its done and if we vanish on you and deliver shit, too bad for you, this was a 'donation'.

Are your arguments against the Early Access methodology as a whole, then? I get what you're saying and I'm not encouraging you to pay for a product you don't want. I can even understand the anger over the game being incomplete, though as someone who paid for the game, I don't subscribe to it. It was the price of a cheap dinner for me, and I've gotten enjoyment out of it so far and am excited about the features they are adding. (As I only follow the dev blog, I guess I missed out on all the "fun" stuff happening in the community. For me, horseboobs was a two second chuckle and a scroll past.)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: December 22, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »

70% of most people's problem with the game is forum drama, which is silly, and the remaining 30% is being miffed over it taking longer than expected. Which is warranted, it is taking the developers longer to finish then they said. I'd rather have a polished complete game than them rushing out some beta shit to meet a soft date they said though.

I'm not going to get upset unless and until someone posts a hidden camera video of ChuckleFish's development studio, and they're all just sitting around playing Madden for eight hours, than clocking out.

And hey, at least they're not Sony. After that whole fiasco I don't think I'll ever buy a Sony product that isn't second hand.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565