Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699749 times)

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2011, 04:57:50 pm »

You know, even if there's a spot for background or appearance, people just leave those blank most of the time. But I agree that I prefer simpler rules in an RTD.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2011, 05:00:43 pm »

I have everything worked out on my character sheet that I can get is it alright that both demeanor, and nature is survivor?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2011, 05:01:38 pm »

Shouldn't y'all wait until the actual game has started? And anyways that whole reserving thing is stupid anyway imo.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 14, 2011, 05:03:53 pm »

I was just asking if that would work, and how is reservign for something you want to do stupid?

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »

People who don't watch this thread don't ever get a chance to join?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »

Well, it's really a matter of preference. If I can't get into my character I lose interest in playing as him/her. If I'm told to fill out only a job without even being able to give my character a name, I'm not interested at all, and I doubt other players would want to type out SeriousConcentrate every time they wanted to refer to me; much easier on everyone if we can all just agree that in this thread I'm Bob. It's quicker to type, for one thing. :P Other than that I don't mind if it's the standard d6 or something else altogether, for the most part. I'm not going to yell at you for preferring simple rules, man. ^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 14, 2011, 05:05:58 pm »

People who don't watch this thread don't ever get a chance to join?
That, and all the "Reserved" posts kinda flood the thread.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 14, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »

Whatever happened to those rtd's where people just picked up skill as they went along, the story was decent, the humor was fantastic, and there was no need for overcomplicated crap (such as backgrounds, appearances, age, and names) at the start?
People got tired of them and decided they wanted more stuff? If you really have a problem with it, CREATE A GAME YOURSELF! Seriously, you're not making the games, don't complain. If you want to start or change a trend, do it yourself.

Seriously, theres no art, so appearances don't matter (usually), backgrounds don't really have that great an impact unless it's really specific on focusing on it,, ages are superfluous (EVERYONE IS 23!) and names just make it confusing as to who is who.
The art is more of a problem of the GMs, the appearences are pointless but sometimes people like to fill them in, background helps with roleplaying, ages help with roleplaying, and yes, names are confusing, but... does it really make sense in a story for someone like, say, L33tHaxx0r to use his own name in the game? No, it doesn't, it makes no sense why ANYONE in the would would ever name their son L33tHaxx0r. Names are more of a choice. They're completely optional in most games since you can just put your own username down.

I just want to see something where I can say 'In' and nothing else, except for maybe a class or a job or something, do awesome things, laugh, and be told a good story in the process.
Then okay, good for you.

Maybe my standards got warped. I dunno. I know i can't expect every RTD to be a wonderful paradise of epic storytelling and laughs.
Yeah, sometimes GMs (like me) just have a really hard time telling story or don't want to. And there are plenty of good story RTDs, it's just that the GMs tend to be the ones with character sheets you don't like. It's a choice: Great but complex RTDs, or bland but simple RTDs.

Or maybe the ones I really am interested in come out in the middle of the night or when I cant otherwise get one of the starting positions
Yeah, that tends to happen. Can't help you on that.

Because seriously, there's like maybe one or two deaths, tops, in the first hundred turns. And even then there's always someone ahead of you in the waiting list. And then it dies. I don't even bother most times.
The reason why the games die is one of several things:
The GM's life gets worse. Completely unavoidable.
The GM makes it too complex. Newbie mistake, let them fail one or two RTDs and they'll learn. Just like I have (mostly).
The GM just doesn't find it fun anymore. Completely unavoidable. Sometimes the GM just... well, can't find the interest.
The players just don't find it fun anymore. Avoidable if the players shout out their concerns and also if they try to make it interesting when it's not. Also, the GM must also try his/her best to give them something to do.
There may be more reasons, but I can't think of them right now.

PPE: 8 ninjas? >_>
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 14, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »

Sometimes the GM just... well, can't find the interest.

Speaking of that, I'm thinking about scrapping Cerberus IV. Problem there is I left it far too open and with only two players (Dwarmin & Tarran) actually doing something to move the plot along (and unable to do anything else for a number of turns, with the other four unable to do the same mission since it's already started) I'm basically just killing time for 2/3rds of the people in it. :-\ I'll probably get rid of it so I can focus on RtASL and CvRTD until I complete the latter, then try starting up something reasonably simple like Roll to Dodge a Song or Roll to Die.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2011, 05:17:18 pm »

Wait, there was a plot in it?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 14, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

Build up a mercenary company, advance to the high technology cities, leave the planet, slowly but surely destroy the Algodal. Basically. :-\ There were other problems too, like Intelligence governing WTGM types of action (which I guess is why Fallout had Perception as well >.>) and a lack of GM foresight. I think Dwarmin also basically took the bare bones of my system and improved it, so if I used it again I would take a close look at how he's using it and try to emulate that.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2011, 05:22:17 pm »

Awww, oh well.

Anyway, I didn't notice any real plot in it. I had no idea you were planning for us to be mercs. You literally gave us no clear goals as far as I could tell.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2011, 05:22:43 pm »

I'm going to wait for irony's suggestion, but now I have a couple of ideas I want to run, curses too many good ideas at once.

Fakeedit:  I usually use the name Sareesa for females, and Viscoth Norrec for males.  Guess how I got my name lol.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

@SC: Mercenary companies take a lot of money to fund.

You could rewrite the firearms bonus so that it has a reliability stat, which is a stat of the weapon itself then add in relevant stats for it. so:

Heavy weaponry = STR (Due to recoil)
Small arms (Including bows): AGI/DEX
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:21 pm »

"Warning Four Five SEVEN EIGHT new replies have been posted since you stopped editing your post"

@Tarran Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it muchly. I was actually thinking of starting a Multiworld game over on the MSPA forums, them guys having no previous standards.

@SeriousConcentrate Roll to dodge a song is one of those things I really like but never really got a chance to play. At least, I think it was, If I'm remembering correctly. Wasn't it where you picked a song and got your character info from that?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:28:20 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 661