Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699749 times)

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread)
« Reply #2625 on: December 02, 2011, 08:03:24 am »

So I finally got my thoughts together and chose a subject for my first RTD. The setting will be a low fantasy medieval world. The game will be about criminals of all kind, thieves, spies, thugs, assassins etc. All the players are going to start as thieves in the local thieves guild, what they want to do after the starting scenario (players are in debt with the guild) is up to them. I will try to keep the games system as simple as possible, as it's my first and just for now I want to get the feeling of how to run RTDs. I think at start it'll be up to 4 players, if I feel like I can handle more I will take more at some point.

So, anyone interested at all?
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: December 02, 2011, 08:08:22 am »

Yes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: December 02, 2011, 08:08:35 am »

Hey, it sounds fun to me! I've not seen any RtDs with a similiar theme in my time here, and it certainly seems like a very 'flexible' setting- as in, you can change it as you get more of an idea what you want to do with the game!
When I first started my RtD, I kinda over-complicated everything, and as a result the first few updates were really slow. I'm just now getting into the swing of this GM business... I hope!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:33 am »

Interested.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:42 am »

So, anyone interested at all?

Interest here. That actually sounds fun.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: December 02, 2011, 08:23:46 am »

Well... that's four...

Five! And if I didn't make it clear enough first time, I'd be interested!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:40:21 am by lawastooshort »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2631 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:00 am »

Fifthterested.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: December 02, 2011, 10:00:06 am »

Okay, so I've been bad. I've stayed up until... 2am because I actually wanted to start writing this and well, it's grown on me >.> I haven't done an awful lot, but here is the beginnings of the system I was proposing earlier. Magic!

Quote from: Myself
Call of Magic - Roll to Magecraft

Spoiler: The Basics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Arts of Magecraft (click to show/hide)

Okay, so it isn't very freeform... but still!

Note: If anyone wants to help develop this, or even if you have ideas for it, go ahead. I want this to be something made by just more than me, and often another viewpoint or input is better for things like this. Helps with variety. So please, Help me out even if you have a tiny idea about it ^^
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:01:45 am by Talarion »
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: December 02, 2011, 10:22:49 am »

Freeform magic. Heheheh.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: December 02, 2011, 10:26:33 am »

Note: If anyone wants to help develop this, or even if you have ideas for it, go ahead. I want this to be something made by just more than me, and often another viewpoint or input is better for things like this. Helps with variety. So please, Help me out even if you have a tiny idea about it ^^

The system sounds neat. However, I think you could benefit from a little world-building so that you and your players know what they're getting into. You said the land is Mage-dominated, but what's the land called? Is there a "council of mages" that rules a continent? What's the capital city, if any? Are non-mages looked down upon? Etc etc. Even if you don't have a fully formed plot, asking and answering your own questions about the game - apart from its mechanics - is never a bad idea.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: December 02, 2011, 10:38:49 am »

The system sounds neat. However, I think you could benefit from a little world-building so that you and your players know what they're getting into. You said the land is Mage-dominated, but what's the land called? Is there a "council of mages" that rules a continent? What's the capital city, if any? Are non-mages looked down upon? Etc etc. Even if you don't have a fully formed plot, asking and answering your own questions about the game - apart from its mechanics - is never a bad idea.

As I said, it's not done... no where close. That's just all I've been able to write cohesively at this point in time xD

What the land's called?
No bloody idea.

Council of Mages?
Kind of... it's a Magocracy. Basically a whole bunch of Mage Houses, nobles who happen to be Mages (Or Mages who happen to be Nobles) rule in their own domain, with the highest regarded 3 Mages in the land assigned as the Triumvirate, the high rulers. Generally they only handle big affairs, with smaller affairs to be settled by each Ruling Mage. Then below each Ruling Mage, every Mage has some political influence, more so if they are 'Sanctified' (Or approved) Mages. So while everyone might not be a Mage, they have considerable influence, and it means good things if your child is born a natural Mage.

Capital City?
There is one, the center of the Magocracy, also the home to the main branch of the Academy of Magical Arts. Not sure what to call it at this point.

Non-Mage discrimination
Not really. It's not like the majority of people are Mages, but Magic is very common and Mages influential. Mages pretty much have a guarentee'd path in life if they choose to take it up... It's like being born with a scholarship, I guess. So no, no REAL discrimination, but Mages generally have it easier and the law tends to look the other way sometimes when Mages are involved.

I hope I answered some of those questions adequately...
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: December 02, 2011, 10:56:02 am »

Well, it's for your benefit, not mine. I think what you have is pretty solid so far, though.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: December 02, 2011, 11:03:28 am »

Would there be a magic school of Derm?

Interested. Very interested indeed...

Thinkin' Sorcery or instinctualism and conjuration definitely.

This is a thing I will be joining.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: December 02, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

Invocations sounds more my style. Like Magicka almost, from what I understand.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: December 02, 2011, 11:08:13 am »

Yeah, definitely taking instinctualism.

Think I might take Bioturgy as a second because I tend to hurt myself along with everyone else during my atrocity committings.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 661