Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53

Author Topic: Fortress Overseer 0.70.1 - !Open Source! 3D Visualizer - 31.25-34.11 Support  (Read 366388 times)

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Overseer v0.51 - 3D Visualizer - 31.25 Support (see 1st post)
« Reply #510 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:23 pm »

Tried vs_2_x, vs_3_0, even a couple weirder-looking ones from the list of available shader models in the log -- vs_2_a, ps_2_0... no luck (although some might have caused other errors along the way before the one that they all spit out in a popup and then quit after).

Oh well; I'll see if the next version has the same issue, and if it does I'll make a note to make sure future graphics cards (either upgrading this laptop or getting another computer) and their drivers are backwards-compatible with DirectX 9 shader model 2.0.

Thanks for helping me narrow the issue down! Good luck with wrapping up the project, too!
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 15, 2012, 09:29:58 pm »

Just dropped in too see whether this would be compatible with 3.40 any time soon but holy cow, the new stuff your working on looks amazing  :o kudos to you, hope all goes swimmingly.

Hey thanks! Things are going pretty well and I should have something cooked up pretty soon.

Does this work with the new DF? :O

Not yet, I've still got a couple of features left to implement, and even if I were ready to release I'd have to wait for DFHack to be ready for the new version (and it's making progress!)

Tried vs_2_x, vs_3_0, even a couple weirder-looking ones from the list of available shader models in the log -- vs_2_a, ps_2_0... no luck (although some might have caused other errors along the way before the one that they all spit out in a popup and then quit after).

Oh well; I'll see if the next version has the same issue, and if it does I'll make a note to make sure future graphics cards (either upgrading this laptop or getting another computer) and their drivers are backwards-compatible with DirectX 9 shader model 2.0.

Thanks for helping me narrow the issue down! Good luck with wrapping up the project, too!

Yeah, sorry I couldn't help. I can however tell you that even if this current issue persists with the new version, there's a decent chance you'll be able to run it anyways. This issue is purely related to HLSL, and since we're being fully OpenGL-compatible this time, you'll have the option of running in OpenGL and using GLSL shaders instead. That will definitely make this problem go away (and hopefully not introduce any new ones.)

dyllionaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 15, 2012, 09:35:23 pm »

Keep up the great work! It's looking great. Excited for the new version  :D

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

Really looking forward to seeing some renders of the new cities!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:28 am »

Probably my favorite utility - keep up the awesome work, looking fowards to the next release! :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2012, 12:12:33 pm »

As some with a Mac, and thus most likely never able to access this...
Any chance I could ask for some screen shots of some of my completed Mega Progects using this?
I have a couple of Massive cities and forts completed.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:08 pm »

Once this is released you're welcome to upload your forts to DFFD and pm me with a link or post them here.  I'm happy to take screenies, particularly if you tell me about any features you'd like to see rendered.  Fair warning: it might take a few days for me to get to it depending on my workload.
At last, she is done.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »

Keep up the great work! It's looking great. Excited for the new version  :D
Probably my favorite utility - keep up the awesome work, looking fowards to the next release! :)

Thanks guys!  :D

As some with a Mac, and thus most likely never able to access this...
Any chance I could ask for some screen shots of some of my completed Mega Progects using this?
I have a couple of Massive cities and forts completed.

Well, there's a very slight chance (not making any promises though) that Overseer itself will be able to run on Macs now that it's not linking against dfhack, but even then you'd still need to export your maps from a windows or linux machine. I can also render things for you if you upload saves to DFFD.

Really looking forward to seeing some renders of the new cities!

Just now got DFHack working with 0.34.02 on my machine, and here are the resulting screenshots:

A town!

A keep!

These shots are with the texture atlas and the underlying colors active. We're getting pretty close! Still needs a bit of work in a few areas but we're approaching the stage where I'd be comfortable releasing what I have. The shader is pretty clobbered together, so expect the colors and lighting to be better when we release.

Other than the texturing/shader fixes, all I have left to do is reintroduction of trees and the sky. I'll also take a bit to add a basic settings file to match what configurability we had in previous releases, as a stepping stone toward the full configurability that I'm aiming to achieve down the line.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:56:39 pm by thewonderidiot »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:58 pm »

...whoa.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:20 am »

Wow... Very, very impressive. I love the way wall openings look with the new rendering.

Great work!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 21, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »

Whoa, yeah! That's looking incredible. :) A question, though - how does it handle water? Does it do it the same way as before, or has it been changed?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »

Yar, it really is coming along nicely...
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2012, 04:00:57 am »

Shiny!
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2012, 02:45:46 pm »

Shiny!
Build an Alliance Cruiser in DF using obsidian and olivine (I think olivine's the green stone, do I have that right? none of my forts get much of it) and/or green glass, whichever seems to be the right level of light/darkness (maybe some spots would be one and some the other), and then get pics in Overseer! Or let me do it, but I won't get around to it for quite a while. Maybe I'll put it on the megaprojects wiki page if they've got one for the new namespace.

On an unrelated note, maybe it's the particular woody-lookin' but brick-patterned texture combined with curved corners and nicely smoothed image/shape edges, but the fort looks somehow less real in those shots than in the earlier, sharp-edged ones. We'll be able to adjust the roundness or even adjust it for different type of materials or the difference between dug out walls and constructed walls eventually, right? (Actually, I think that there might be the key difference: dug out walls/floors should be rounder/smoother than constructed ones, which should seem, well, constructed, I'd expect.) Well hey, even if we aren't (or not anytime soon) this is incredible on the whole -- it's subtle, but I think it does seem better graphically speaking than the previous shots, and it sounds like it's become a lot more potentially portable and scaleable/extendible/customizable than it had been, or at least has a framework for being so. Very much looking forward to trying the new version. 8^)

I'm tempted to ask randomly about lighting settings such as day and night, how light gets into dug out areas, torches/lanterns/lamps given that the game doesn't let you place such things (yet) and given that it has natural caverns they wouldn't be present in, etc. But that's probably because I've forgotten what I've heard on the topic earlier in the thread. And the truth is it'll probably be obvious and/or come back to me what Overseer does and doesn't do in terms of lighting once I try it. So nevermind. XD
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 22, 2012, 03:14:16 pm »

Glad you guys are liking it! SexyMustard and I are looking to have a release out very soon -- hopefully by sometime next week.

Whoa, yeah! That's looking incredible. :) A question, though - how does it handle water? Does it do it the same way as before, or has it been changed?

It's changed a lot. Unfortunately, water is probably what's suffered the most in this version. The old approach was pretty bad, though -- always calculating every reflection/refraction map and hanging the program while it happened. And not to mention floating planes of water....

Right now water is just stored in the voxels like anything else, properly respecting water levels from 0 to 7. So it'll be more shapely and less weird for this version. PolyVox doesn't support voxel transparency though, so it'll be a solid water texture (no transparency) that will be drawn just like all the other geometry. Once we get the custom extractor rolling, that will change and we'll be able to start going back to the previous approach but in a better way.

Shiny!
Build an Alliance Cruiser in DF using obsidian and olivine (I think olivine's the green stone, do I have that right? none of my forts get much of it) and/or green glass, whichever seems to be the right level of light/darkness (maybe some spots would be one and some the other), and then get pics in Overseer! Or let me do it, but I won't get around to it for quite a while. Maybe I'll put it on the megaprojects wiki page if they've got one for the new namespace.

On an unrelated note, maybe it's the particular woody-lookin' but brick-patterned texture combined with curved corners and nicely smoothed image/shape edges, but the fort looks somehow less real in those shots than in the earlier, sharp-edged ones. We'll be able to adjust the roundness or even adjust it for different type of materials or the difference between dug out walls and constructed walls eventually, right? (Actually, I think that there might be the key difference: dug out walls/floors should be rounder/smoother than constructed ones, which should seem, well, constructed, I'd expect.) Well hey, even if we aren't (or not anytime soon) this is incredible on the whole -- it's subtle, but I think it does seem better graphically speaking than the previous shots, and it sounds like it's become a lot more potentially portable and scaleable/extendible/customizable than it had been, or at least has a framework for being so. Very much looking forward to trying the new version. 8^)

I'm tempted to ask randomly about lighting settings such as day and night, how light gets into dug out areas, torches/lanterns/lamps given that the game doesn't let you place such things (yet) and given that it has natural caverns they wouldn't be present in, etc. But that's probably because I've forgotten what I've heard on the topic earlier in the thread. And the truth is it'll probably be obvious and/or come back to me what Overseer does and doesn't do in terms of lighting once I try it. So nevermind. XD

Yup, I agree. Marching Cubes, unfortunately, doesn't let you choose between soft edges and hard edges, so if anything gets smoothed, EVERYTHING gets smoothed. There's another, newer extraction method for voxel data called "dual contouring", which PolyVox doens't yet support. The current plan is to begin implementing a dual contouring extractor shortly after the next release or two of Overseer.

Lighting for the moment is just directional light (from the sun) that isn't blocked by anything, so the caverns aren't pitch black. It's a very simplistic model that needs revisiting in the future -- once I figure out how I want to handle it. If you have any suggestions, fire away!  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53