Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248271 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #435 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:50 pm »

saw this on Reddit.
http://www.thelocal.dk/20170202/denmarks-dong-energy-to-ditch-coal-by-2023

their are so many puns that i could make but i will resist.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 02, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »

Expand Dong Energy
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:47 pm »

I think there's an anime about a battle robot powered by Dong Energy.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2017, 09:10:02 pm »

^Definitely not Geass, no dongs there!
A creative solution to the problem of robot walking.
Great, so we can say goodbye to our crotch bulges because Code Geass was right, DEATH FIRST I SAY!

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:02 pm »

Let loose the dongs of war.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 03, 2017, 08:37:34 pm »

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/02/03/032237/electric-car-battery-prices-fell-by-80-in-the-last-7-years-says-study

Since ~2010 electric car batteries have become 80% cheaper, which is quite a fall. To what was said about the extreme cost of replacing the battery in a hybrid, that obviously changes the equation a lot. It's definitely going to be cheaper to get a new battery retro-fitted to an old hybrid than buying a whole new car, and batteries sound like they're going to become a lot more cost-effective in the future. I doubt they're finished making better batteries.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 04, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »

Only kinda news in some cases, but it is tech related. Apparently firefox has a new notifications "Push" api that links in with their service-workers and whatnot, and they are on by default, which is irritating.

They've had it since version 44 apparently: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/push-notifications-firefox

I've been on a very nonstandard version though so it's only after switching to 51 recently that I saw them pop up with the little (i) by the site padlock and then tomshardware asked me if they could send me big annoying popup notifications in a big annoying popup notification, so I figured I'd go ahead and toss out the info to turn that shit off.

about:config search for push, kill it all, if you want it you'll end up turning it on later, you probably don't want it
about:serviceworkers unregister them, you can allow them if you want later, it should be your choice though
about:config search for service, disable the entries with service-worker and push in them
about:config search for notifications, disable them by default, you can enable them per site (right click > page info > permissions) but again, it should be your choice

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 05, 2017, 05:27:52 am »

IDK, i use firefox and i've never seen any of that happen.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 05, 2017, 07:39:21 pm »

Yeah, it was a surprise and I think most sites don't really use the push notifications yet, but that's the sort of thing which inspires a "fuck you and everyone in your general vicinity" vendetta in me.

"You can close tabs and sites will notify you of new updates" oh, ok, thanks, no I like having tabs open, I hate full window popups, and that will make damn sure I disable any sort of revenue or hit counts you might have gotten for it, as it is assholish, and as a high level asshole myself I won't brook pretenders to the throne.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 05, 2017, 09:15:37 pm »

https://it.slashdot.org/story/17/02/05/1833235/can-the-mayhem-ai-automate-bug-patching

Last summer the Pentagon staged a contest in Las Vegas in which high-powered computers spent 12 hours trying to hack one another in pursuit of a $2 million purse. Now Mayhem, the software that won, is beginning to put its hacking skills to work in the real world... Teams entered software that had to patch and protect a collection of server software, while also identifying and exploiting vulnerabilities in the programs under the stewardship of its competitors... ForAllSecure, cofounded by Carnegie Mellon professor David Brumley and two of his PhD students, has started adapting Mayhem to be able to automatically find and patch flaws in certain kinds of commercial software, including that of Internet devices such as routers.

Tests are underway with undisclosed partners, including an Internet device manufacturer, to see if Mayhem can help companies identify and fix vulnerabilities in their products more quickly and comprehensively. The focus is on addressing the challenge of companies needing to devote considerable resources to supporting years of past products with security updates... Last year, Brumley published results from feeding almost 2,000 router firmware images through some of the techniques that powered Mayhem. Over 40%, representing 89 different products, had at least one vulnerability. The software found 14 previously undiscovered vulnerabilities affecting 69 different software builds. ForAllSecure is also working with the Department of Defense on ideas for how to put Mayhem to real world use finding and fixing vulnerabilities.

So we have hacker bot AI out there that can do repairs to fix security holes now. The really cool thing is that it's analyzing the software itself, working out what's wrong, then writing it's own patch on the fly. That's faily impressive. It can do that sort of thing for a piece of hardware it's never seen before in a fraction of the time a human would need to reverse-engineer a fix, and it does so on a per-device basis.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 09:17:38 pm by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2017, 10:05:02 pm »

Remember however it was merely one of the seven entrants in the competition, and they were playing against each other in the ballroom of a Las Vegas hotel, so it needed a flashy WWE-style named to stand out. It was also named by college students, so there's that too :P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 05, 2017, 10:37:26 pm »

I don't think something that happened in Fight Club (assuming Project Mayhem in that is what you mean) should be considered the origin of the term "Mayhem".

Clearly it's named after the Norwegian metal band.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:39:38 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2017, 03:17:55 am »

Its main purpose is to try to take the fraying edges of an incompletely tailored system coverage and attempt to secure them against progressive damage from external frictions.  Thus its name states the optimism of its task to apply such preventative stitches in time, i.e. that it "may hem".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:10 pm »

I watched a video downplaying the disruptive effect of automation on employment. The video was making the old argument that humans are more adaptable, therefore as labor is displaced by machines, the increased productivity creates new opportunities to do what machines cannot, e.g. more creative and strategic type work, then of course he brought up the Luddites and pointed out that they were wrong, that total employment has in fact grown as machines were introduced, disproving the theory.

But then I had a thought, and I think this is the crux of the matter: human labor has outpaced machines because the "adaptation rate" of the humans exceeds the "adatpation rate" of the machines. But that assumption might not hold forever. Improvements in machine learning and meta-machine learning (machines that learn to learn) will speed up the cycle immensely but cutting the machine-learning practitioner, with his slow meat-brain out of the loop.

Basically, think about a company with a bank of computers with AIs in them who's sole job is to come up with new ways to generate value, and design other single-purpose AIs to carry out those tasks. Those AIs could each have a "safety valve" in which if they find data they can't understand they pass it back up to the higher-level AIs to sort out. I say "generate value" rather than "make money", because in a post-AI / post-work world, there will still be value even if normal people have no money. Wealth generation will be measured not in currency but in your share of physical global resources.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:47:45 pm by Reelya »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #449 on: February 06, 2017, 10:54:13 pm »

At that point, what are the owners doing?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 158