Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!  (Read 13833 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Re: Smithbridges riverside succession fortress - Overseers needed!
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2022, 02:14:02 pm »

The population is up to 52 now. I decided to stop cleanup in case there is another siege. For some reason, The miners are too lazy to open the river into the Reservoir.

I started looking at the different engravings around here, And here are some that I found:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2022, 02:24:38 pm »

-below-
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:14:55 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2022, 03:28:52 pm »

Would anyone mind if I hand the save file over half-way through my turn?

Ah well, Here is the save(Reading what I have posted, My writing skills are so terrible!): https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15991
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:15:45 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2022, 03:53:58 pm »

I will round it up to next spring for Samulek
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2022, 04:57:25 pm »

Sounds fine. I am ready to play this weekend :]

If it's a toy boat, I am gonna lose it.

yes. the children do not deserve artifacts. they would not even appreciate the craftmanship

Bombyx, I have studied your construction notes and am hoping to attempt further construction or design on my turn. I will abide by the guidelines even if it kills us!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2022, 06:52:02 pm »

Entry unknown

Think im cursed, building the bridge, section of it can be crossed. Undead return on the opposite side of the river. That fucker Mosus is back with Reg Idasheral, the leader of this undead army. He even brought some new charcoaled winged beast. My favourte has to be the wolf of alnos.

"A large feathered spider. It has a fat, bulging trunk"

Lost a few good dwarfs one of whom was sleeping on the bridge. Then the necromancer took advantage of our corpse stockpile and now added undead carp to his army along with most of the dead experiements that visitors had killed. Oh a second necromancer has shown up.

On a unrelated note Bombyx Mori had drowned not sure how, ofcourse no necroback but an angry spirit. I had hoped to use winter to recover the body but looks like the greatest dwarven engraver will make up a great memorial.

Drunken scholar

Bombyx Mori

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2022, 01:49:11 am »

I seem to have a bad history when it comes to my dwarf surviving in succession games. Oh well, when I take another turn I might just resort to some good old fashioned succession fortress reincarnation shenanigans. Do you know where my dwarf died? The only place I could think of would be digging the channel into the riverbank.

Also, looking at the most recent save the fortress is in total chaos before the end of the third year. This is going to be more fun than I expected.

On another note, do you still want to take year 6 Avolition?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2022, 01:57:29 am »

Entry unknown

Think im cursed, building the bridge, section of it can be crossed. Undead return on the opposite side of the river. That fucker Mosus is back with Reg Idasheral, the leader of this undead army. He even brought some new charcoaled winged beast. My favourte has to be the wolf of alnos.

"A large feathered spider. It has a fat, bulging trunk"

Lost a few good dwarfs one of whom was sleeping on the bridge. Then the necromancer took advantage of our corpse stockpile and now added undead carp to his army along with most of the dead experiements that visitors had killed. Oh a second necromancer has shown up.

On a unrelated note Bombyx Mori had drowned not sure how, ofcourse no necroback but an angry spirit. I had hoped to use winter to recover the body but looks like the greatest dwarven engraver will make up a great memorial.

our winter is far too short to hope to recover the body during winter. . I wonder if pumps?

bodies just underneath the water are bothersome as every time a dwarf leans over the guardrail they get a full frontal image of a submerged body. This proved extremely tantrum-inducing in one of the more recent community fortresses involving a gigantic wooden structure over the seaside.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2022, 05:10:08 am »

Here is the save - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15993

Yep, still taking year 6. Once the surface is safe if it hasnt been done will recover Bombyx Mori body. Thinking we need to build a military and really start whittling that necromancer and his minions down cause all he does is come over, kill and recruit and leaves his minions around for a year.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2022, 03:58:37 pm »

reviewing and playing now!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2022, 08:37:22 pm »

The Legend of Sinboils, and the fight for Smithbridges

Sinboils, the legendary river of the southern catchement, was heavy with spring snowmelt from the grey mountains that framed the northern sky. Where we sat, Sinboils was halfway to her destination, full to the brim with clear glacier water and racing ever southward, towards the frozen southern oceans. Almost 30 dwarfs could stand shoulder to shoulder and still not cover the width of this massive river. This is why we built a bridge, and then that asshole came with her weird bird goons, one of which I am creeping on right now from behind a peephole in the earthworks. It is strange, covered in patchy feathers but with the mouth of a gigantic ant. A tormented soul, and in any other context worthy of our sympathy. 

On the trail here, our party stopped at many taverns, and in passing conversations we heard strange tales of glowing-eyed fish and predatory whale creatures that surface in the night to eat immoral dwarves. I do not believe these stories, and think the villagers were putting on a farce of some kind, perhaps to scare us away from hunting grounds. One must be suspicious of anyone not loyal to the Queen.   

Where do I begin . . ? Leadership has passed many hands, leading me to believe the job will be difficult. Dangerous. And slightly dull, to round things off. But, a professional architect is perfectly suited to the sort of social arithmetic neccesary to run these bunch of beards. So here I am, Salmeuk ( 59th in his her line ! ), ready to lead. And my priorities?

Invaders, at the gates. They don't look like the type to eat food. . so we can't starve them out. . .we will have to find a way to deal with them.   

lets take stock of our foes:   
20-odd feathered humanoids with weaponry and foul intentions
A few hulking gorillas, also with feathers and foul intentions 
weird ass spiders with trunks?? 
wtf a cute lil dog creature with six legs and some horns. probably evil but very cute 
a handful of skeletons raised from the refuse pile 

and this foul creature, that brought life to these disturbing sights:

I wonder if we can capture the dog thing??   

spring cleaning:

my predecessors have left quite the impression on the local stone. I am duly impressed. I fear in dealing with the outside threat, I will not have time to contribute my full attention to these kinds of design.

I have sketched the early plans for the corridor. We have a surplus of labor, and so I went a bit crazy. But with careful mechanical design we can double the length of the corridor at the flip of a switch! 

Sinboils flows in my dreams. Bombyx, where are you now? lost in that water underneath. I search and search, to no avail, then a shuddering from the riverbank.   The necromancer was here. Bombyx . . is that you? Bombyx? Where are your hands?!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 08:41:41 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2022, 09:34:55 pm »

Scholarly Secrets - Avolitions notes on The Playful

Our current enemy is The Playful Butters who live in Couplesinks. Interstingly it houses 3 necromancers. Two humans and a dwarf. This old dwarf was seen guiding those foul creatures and their creations. Another dwarf relayed it was Reg Moistenedvessels after recognising him.

The dwarf Reg Moistenedvessels was a legendary warrior of The Whirling Quakes and actually fought against The Playful Butters in their first attack against us. It seems at somepoint he was offered immortality and turned on his own. He was never the same after a fateful encounter with a strange human traveler. He was never crafty but he was threatening law enforcement in Footshoots constantly. A true fall from grace. I pray that death will claim them soon.

One of the newest migrants had remarked that we had an extremely desirable treasure. They gestured towards the pulstating tiger iron animal trap. Yawnhand the Infamous Dimension, she had heard that many seek to claim it. This could be concerning. Apparently the artifact has an effect on some people. It is certainly enchanting watching it beautiful colours, the vibrant gold, the deep brown and the vivid oranges. The artifact was made over 100 years ago in Pullnets and is of our civilization although. We came across it on the corpse of a death human. A thief no doubt.

But it seems our young fort has already some eyes looking for our demise.

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2022, 09:26:55 pm »

Into Summer

we have run out of charcoal to start the forges neccesary to continue production of said charcoal (via ancient dwarven processes that take the rich anthracite and bituminuous coal and turn it into easily consumed forgefuel). All we need is a SINGLE piece of wood. Damn.

Wait. . . did our carpenter just find some?  But she's taking it to the workshops. No! NO! We NEED that!!

Oh, she's got that look. ah. If we interrupt her now, she will go insane.

later on

It will serve as the perfect symbol of our worship of Vesh Ghostphantom, god of Death, and so it was placed in the newly-designated crypt temple known as Secretchamber the Ageless Death-Phantom. It should be noted our fortress contains not one, but TWO death-cults, who share mythology and secrets and an undying love for Vesh. There is no word of tension between the two factions, but the situation is worth monitoring.

===

word is out, new attachments are forming:

I fear for their emotional health, should any of the other starting seven die, seeing as the death of Bombyx almost sent me spiraling.

=========

The rudimentary trap corridor is complete. Without wood for cages, or coal for smelting weapons, we were stuck with laborious stonefall traps. Yup, I personally hauled a number of those fat boulders to the spring-chambers in the ceiling, lodging them against the trapdoor and engaging the gear-switch lever, finally closing the access plate and dusting the seals. Impossible to spot, unless you're a dwarf or a kobold. And kobolds are just a myth.

Beyond the traps, we have two squads training full time, but their weapons are crude and random, and we lack armor and shields. I do not feel confident in a straight battle, but something must be done. .

===

We filled the resevoir, and its frankly enchanting:

On the left wing I have dug ramps to the caverns below. With proper security this place can be a travel hub, of sorts.

===

Kib Twistearth was the unlucky dwarf who drew the short stalk, and was tasked with breaching the surface. So Kob took a pick and trundled past the hundreds of feet of trap-lined corridor and up the wide ramps to the tree roots where a slight breeze could be felt, through the interwoven layers of growth... Kib struck at the clump of organic matter and it dissolved before him. Revealing horror and devestation. In the distance, large piles of corpses lined the riverbanks. It was tough to see this scene and picture life before the siege. Closer, in fact right infront of Kib, lay the skeletonized corpse of another dwarf. Some unlucky fool, no doubt tasked with a similar mission to Kib's, and now dead because of it.

"Well, job's done." Thought Kib, and turned back, picking up his pace ever so slightly.

He heard a eerie, piercing, clacking noise from behind. Horrible, like if an insect was trying to scream. stumbling over boulders left after excavation, Kib knew he was chased. He passed through the large chamber and into the switchback corridor, but turned to watch in horror as one of the feathered humanoids completely avoided every single trap. Simply hopping over every single floorswitch as if it knew exactly where they were.

Kib made it to the third bauxite bridge that marked safety. He was done, and had earned respect from his fellows for taking on a task this dangerous.

Then, brushing past him were some of the visitors, foreigners who had been trapped for months while the undead raged above. They were impatient, and despite our suggestions, they were keen to immediately leave this fortress. And so they willingly walked into bloody death as the Hands of Imush descended into the trapped corridor.

The bauxite bridge snapped shut behind them. Muffled screaming was heard, but then . . . silence.

===

We considered our options. We could continue our cavern explorations, hoping to find a good source of wood to then re-start our forges and make weapons and make traps for those weapons then install the weapons in the traps and then. Well. That's quite a bit of work.

We could use water. But after considering the routing options, too much time would be spent bringing the water through specialized channels, and then there is notion of wasting raw earth for something we can fix via some third option.

This third option was picked after our fighters volunteered a plan: trap the invaders one by one, fighting with uneven odds, until they retreat or we take injury.

This was put into motion, with Kib estimating the run speed of the creatures, we baited them back into the tunnel after opening the bauxite bridges.... and then disaster. Instead of the Hands of Imush, which were fairly slow and ponderous in their chase after Kib, we found multiples of the strange spiders and gorilla beasts. Inside our fucking barracks. Like RIGHT NOW.

The fight was short, brutal, but we won. Except Ulfarr, he took a silver spear to the heart in the first few seconds of the clash, but valiantly pushed on despite this, and only succumbed to the wound after another two pages of fighting.

And also a character that was going to have a whole sidestory, Ushat "Swordmother", wielder of the artifact bone sword known as Babinaknun, the same sword that Ushat crafted by herself DURING CHILDBIRTH, well Ushat was brutally kicked into a pulp by one of the Wolf of Alnos trunk-spider things, before getting picked up and torn in half... dear lord. Why, Ushat? I wasn't done with your chapter and now I will never write it. And Ulfarr? Why only 'U' ???

Bralbaard has a severed motor nerve in the upper right arm. We need a hospital..

=========

Meanwhile, from the back of the workshops, a small child screams "SILK CLOTH! BRING ME SILKEN CLOTH!"
kid nobodys got any time for that shit rn please

OOC:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 10:28:28 pm by Salmeuk »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2022, 02:32:54 pm »

With the bauxite bridges shut tight, we were safe to recover the injured and the dead. I failed to mention this, but our attackers bled a pure white substance with a gossamer sheen, which now coated the walls, giving our entrance tunnels the surreal appearance of a whitewashed surface.

A hospital was designed near the entrance, modest but with space to expand. We need a doctor with actual skill, but for now me and Obsidian will take the responsibility.

Our enterprising butcher pointed out how big and juicy the legs of the spiders looked. Instead of hauling the corpse of the gigantic spider to the refuse pile, he took it the butchers shop...

Yum.

As he was moving back to retrieve another spider, he noticed one of the spiders was twitching slightly. As he went to lift the creatures hairy legs, it jumped back to life. A second spider, too, was still alive. But not hostile? In fact, the Wolf of Anos looked almost lovingly upon the poor, frightened butcher. .

What was going on here? Why were some of the spiders friendly? Were they capable of deeper thoughts than aboslute subservience and bloodlust?

What ever the case, the spiders were strange indeed, and while friendly, were not interested in following our directions to a holding cell. We will need cage traps to contain them, eventually. But for now they seem happy chilling in our military wing.

Our tunnels to the caverns are complete. After we install some doors, that sweet sweet cavern wood should begin to flow into our stocks.

Finally, on the 22nd of Opal, midwinter, the siege retreated. Followed immediately by some migrants, who were no doubt waiting in the wings for the ordeal to finish. Cowards. . We are now 56 strong.

We reclaimed the surface that winter, removing the large stone walls blocking our central entrance. The final two months were spent hauling miscellaneous body parts into a large pile, moving wood closer to the entrance, and finally completing the first layer of our bridge.

Also, as a small detail, I created a temple to the god of gems and jewels:

The entrance is flanked by large natural blue jade columns, carved into symbols and figures.

With our forges relit and smelting as we speak, I pass the role of overseer to another. but hope to return soon (sign me up for another turn!)

save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15995

more shots of the fortress:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 02:35:24 pm by Salmeuk »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2022, 02:55:48 pm »

The fortress is coming along nicely, like the progress. Glad to see the diamond rooms are now all dug out and ready for whatever they shall be. Enjoying this community fortress looking forward to my turn coming back around again.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12