Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "You must be a High School graduate or have a GED to apply"  (Read 2920 times)

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You must be a High School graduate or have a GED to apply"
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

Kudos to the OP for thinking and planning ahead.

As far as the "you must have a high school degree" - job ad "requirements" are rarely set in stone.  They're just trying to describe their ideal candidate and weed out undesirables.

What you really need to do is read between the lines.  Why are they saying "must have high school degree?"

It may be that they only want people who have the mettle to complete high school.  If you can demonstrate that you have decent grades (I mean, hell, you ARE taking an AP class) and are on TRACK to graduate, that may be enough.

If they're posting it because of some kind of union/industry/local laws and regulations, then you're shit out of luck, but at that point it's not their fault.

If it's that they want someone who can work 9-5, again, you're out of luck unless you can negotiate a weekend, evening deal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 11:33:44 am »

High school doesn't matter. Once you have some college or a job history, it just doesn't matter anymore.

At your age you probably won't find much better than a McJob, but thats okay. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Apply for a local pizza place, fast food place, or grocery store.

No one will hire a high school kid as anything but entry level at minimum wage. You have no practical experience and next to no work history. You're a n00b.

But everyone needs to start somewhere.  :D You just need to be patient, work yourself up from the McJobs which will be the only places that will hire you at first.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 12:05:28 pm »

Also also, I seem to keep getting the same advice over and over again...
That's the #1 thing I've noticed about asking people for job advice.  It's like they all subscribe to the same 'Unemployment Advice Monthly' or having a job connects them to a very unhelpful hive mind.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »

Also also, I seem to keep getting the same advice over and over again...
That's the #1 thing I've noticed about asking people for job advice.  It's like they all subscribe to the same 'Unemployment Advice Monthly' or having a job connects them to a very unhelpful hive mind.

The #1 thing I've noticed about people starting these "how do I get job?" threads is that it's like they all have this bizarre delusion that there's some secret technique that people who get jobs are withholding from them. In fact we do, and I am about to break all the rules, all of them, by sharing it with you:

Write out a resume. Get a counselor/teacher/parent/etc to make sure it's not crap. Use coach/teacher/etc as reference.
Print out a shit load of them.
Make a list of places you would be able to work, starting with the most desirable.
Go to as many places as you can on this list in one day. Apply everywhere, whether or not they require experience you don't have.
Go in, ask if they're hiring. If they say yes or I don't know, ask if you can talk to the manager. Chat for a few minutes and leave your resume. If they say no, ask if they'll take a resume anyway.
Repeat this process, at least weekly, working down the list.
Don't take it personally if they don't call you back.
Revisit the places at the top of your list, asking if they're hiring yet/if they've hired someone/etc.
BAM YOU'VE GOT A JOB VIOLA FLOURISH BOW

Basically, for most jobs you'd be looking at in highschool, all you need to do is prove you're reliable, personable, and hygienic. They can teach you the rest. If you've got those down you've just got to hand out a flurry of resumes. It actually is that simple.

Edit: Sorry abculatter for the tone. Euld set me off I guess. The advice is still valid.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:39:27 pm by kinseti »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »

That's... perfect, actually.

Now I just need to do it. I'll see if I can polish up my resume and I've already told my guidance councilor I'm looking for an internship/job. I'll just ask if she can review it and if I can use her as a reference.

Now if only I hadn't decided to start having a friend this weekend... I suppose there should be next week. Monday would do nicely.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:37:05 pm »

People lie to get what they want.

This is why a job ad will say "we want you to have a Bachelor's degree" when really they will take anyone with an Associate's. They know they will get underqualified people applying. So if they want someone with 2 years of college, they ask for someone with 4. That way, people with 2 years apply.

In many cases, I'd say most cases, the requirements have wiggle room. Be more impressive than they asked in some other way to make up for it. Mention the classes you took in High School. Mention extracurricular stuff. In the end, regardless of what they want, nobody is going to arrest you if you apply. Worst case scenario you get ignored. Try anyway. You'll eventually succeed.

Until then, if you want to get into culinary, train yourself. Don't let people cook for you, cook it yourself, but if they do cook you should watch what they do. Check out tutorials online. Library books and videos. Volunteer at a soup kitchen as a cook. Most people want to be the guy ladling out the soup and beaming at all the homeless people. Far fewer people are willing to be in the back cooking. Investigate interesting recipes. Write recipes. Write menus as if you had your own restaurant! Try to cook everything, it doesn't cut it to say "I'm not a cake person".

If you can do that, nobody is going to turn you away from a job in a kitchen because you don't have a high school diploma.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]