Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eternally Caught In Limbo [MASSIVE SPOILERS] [Reaching HFS is possible!]  (Read 6917 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eternally Caught In Limbo [MASSIVE SPOILERS] [Reaching HFS is possible!]
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »

I'm going to second the request for a movie.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:03:46 am »

This thread got pretty quiet at the suggestion that this exciting discovery could use a little more authentication.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

I wanna know what kind of a cave is likely to have a demon fort in it.  I've got this character, you see, who's been kicking butt for a good while now, and I wanna send him down to hell (since, let's face it, dying while fighting the legions of hell is pretty much the most badass way to die for any character), but to do that, I need to know what kind of a cave I need to seek out.  Mountain cave, evil mountains cave, forest cave, cave with a long name and a bunch of megabeasts in it?
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »

According to the wiki, there's one in every region square. So if you start with the lowest elevation entry with no aquifer levels you'd have the best chance, but that's still not a guarantee that the caverns will be open to the stairway without extra digging.

You could try embarking a fort on the most likely 16x16 area and at least verify that an adamantine sword is there, then see if the caverns will give you access.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 11:26:29 am »

I wanna know what kind of a cave is likely to have a demon fort in it.  I've got this character, you see, who's been kicking butt for a good while now, and I wanna send him down to hell (since, let's face it, dying while fighting the legions of hell is pretty much the most badass way to die for any character), but to do that, I need to know what kind of a cave I need to seek out.  Mountain cave, evil mountains cave, forest cave, cave with a long name and a bunch of megabeasts in it?
A cave is so far removed from hell, it is just the beginning of an extremely long journey.
Any cave that connects to the cavern system will do, once you are in the first level cavern you must search for the way downwards, which will be announced by "you have found a downward passage", although the ways up are also announced in such a fashion.
You must descend twice, no mean task in itself, until you have reached the third level. Navigate the third level until you find a curious structure, these too will be announced.

The underground galleries are composed of many "blocks" (the size of embark squares) of caverns, which are not continuos/overlapping with neighbouring blocks, connecting to these only in a number of entrances and exits, occasionally not at all, forcing you to turn back after you have just spent an hour furiously searching for a way forward.
Beware certain descents that may seem like a way to a deeper cavern (they go down about 20 levels), but that do not announce themselves and lead only to a massive and frustrating maze with few exits, of which all lead to the level you had just "descended" from.
Take care if you are in an area barren of underground trees, certain areas are devoid of creatures and I believe those without trees are more likely to be so, it is entirely possible to starve to death as you scourge the lifeless halls in search of beasts to slay and consume.
Any friends and followers you bring with you will either get lost as they rush to keep up to you or will be slain by your own hand as you get deeper. Their constant presence has a maddening effect on you as a player, turning on them is a reflex borne of frustration and boredom, as there is not much else to do in the caverns but walk and kill.
The tribes you encounter in the depths will not harm you, you can sleep near them but they may relocate their camp in the meantime so they are not a guarantee of safety. If you desire you can recruit them, although they have a more unhinging influence on you than do companions from the surface, their namelessness and sheer number you can have following you being most estranging.

The underground is a place to be alone, you must come to terms with its mannerisms or your character will not survive it, dying, getting lost or simply getting abandoned by you the player are fates you must accept as inevitable.

Save-scumming is for the weak, if you have no permanent crippling injuries you are not trying hard enough.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 11:29:55 am by Overspeculated »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 01:03:15 pm »

I've gone through 36 lbs of dragon meat since entering, but still have plenty left to remember the ages of myth and legend by. Blood for drinking is hard to come by, but there are more than aquifer and rivers to wring a sip from, and sometimes refill my waterskins. But I'm finally finding some excitement from blood men, so I may be getting close to the goal.

I've learned that starting from the lowest altitude does not shorten searches for downward passages; the caverns may be compacted into fewer levels, but they're solidly separated. So, even if you pinpoint the location of the sword via debarkment, you need at least two searches of a 16x16 area, which converts to roughly 590k you-sized squares, to find descending passages. Even worse when aquifer levels block descent, because then you need to seek out the nearest adjacent biome to start the search all over again before coming back and trying to re-orient on where you believe the fort to be. And did I mention that the entry hole may not even be exposed to cavern access?

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 03:37:06 pm »

Water levels are not really impassable barriers (you did mean them by aquifer levels, didnt you?). You just need some basic swimming skills. In my experience without swimming through a LOT of them you wont find passages nearly as often.

@ video request: What should i record? The demon fortress? They way down (about 10h rl)?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 05:05:38 pm »

Water levels are not really impassable barriers (you did mean them by aquifer levels, didnt you?). You just need some basic swimming skills. In my experience without swimming through a LOT of them you wont find passages nearly as often.
With Legendary5 swimming, I've survived through several drowning corridors, which is still a hazard when the ceiling closes in on you. The main problem is the goddamn monotony, which water passages greatly contribute to, without contributing any viable downward routes.

@ video request: What should i record? The demon fortress? They way down (about 10h rl)?
How about just the entry from the cavern?

Fredson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 05:21:22 am »

With Legendary5 swimming, I've survived through several drowning corridors, which is still a hazard when the ceiling closes in on you. The main problem is the goddamn monotony, which water passages greatly contribute to, without contributing any viable downward routes.
Well thats true :/ There should be an option to hold your breath and an indicator of your oxygen maybe. At the moment its pure luck to survive a little dive into the deep.

How about just the entry from the cavern?
I could post the save too, so you can all explore it by yourself. I think it would less of a hassle than figuring out the record function ingame.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 09:47:23 pm »

I've started a quest for the deep.  Had to find a third cave because the first two were either non-existant or didn't connect to the caverns properly.  My companions were both killed by the hydra that guarded my entry point and I am already without walking due to an encounter with elk birds before my shield skills got leet.

Should I be circling in an attempt to find a way down, or should I just keep walking in a straight line?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 10:42:20 pm »

I've decided it would be more fun challenge to simply build a fort over it, since I'd kinda copped out of that the few times I've tried. I could carve a path right down to the front door instead of stabbing around in the dark hoping the RNG actually left me a path. Additional benefits would be possibly waking a forgotten beast or titan, leaving a cool maze to dungeon-crawl, and a nicer collection of gear. I'm setting up in an evil land, to be sure there will be nasties lurking around on my eventual bail-out.

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:26:55 pm »

I have modded a race (giant metal werewolves, the most badass I could imagine) that can go without food, water, or even air, if need be, and is immune to most everything harmful, and can regenerate most injuries very quickly.  Combined with nightmarish speed, they should allow me to reach the demon fortress, given time and effort.  This race is evil, and had already wiped out the elves before I even got control of one.  He's working on the humans, then will work of the dwarves.  Once gone, he'll search for a road to a demon fortress, then journey down until he reaches the sword.  Then, he shall pluck it from it's podium, then charge, howling, into the fort and follow the path straight into the depths of hell.  I hope that, when he reaches the deeps, he'll give such a good accounting of himself that, when finally overwhelmed and the demons venture cautiously up to the surface, they will find that there's four thriving empires of metal wolves, and shall run back into the depths of hell, screaming, "ARMOK SAVE US, THERE'S MORE OF THEM!!!"

METAL SHALL PREVAIL!!!
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 02:47:40 am »

METAL SHALL PREVAIL!!!
Whats the fun in rigging your game? Adventurers already are horribly overpowered as they are.
Should I be circling in an attempt to find a way down, or should I just keep walking in a straight line?
You have a fairly small discovery radius, so you should take care to explore your location. Don't spend too much time doing it though, and move on fairly quickly.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:41 pm »

I gave up my more elaborate plan -- the wealth requirement was easy, but this land just isn't going to support the population of 80 to trigger FB/Titan. The animals are all undead, the caves fished out too quickly, what little plants that grew went too booze, and the surroundings were too hazardous to trade. So I punched through the dirt, and the second cavern revealed the fortress, in a big, rocky desert of bloodthorn. I got myself a longsword and vanished a door.

I got rushed after a few empty floors, a little over half of them zombie or skeletal forms, probably affected the same as the land above.  I held them all from the top of a stair, and after that, they got fewer and fewer. If they are infinite, they spawn slowly. The ground next to the eerie pools was nearly deserted.

When I got back topside, the fortress lord was there, with only four other demons. Either they snuck past me, or they spawned there when I got the sword. None of them were as tough as demons I'd already fought on the surface, lord included. So, maybe I'll try again in a different location. Or maybe I'll retire this world and gen a new one.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »

This is why you don't lick random dust off of your armor.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:22:46 pm by Aramco »
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 [2]