Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: FEF: Chains of Horai Redux IC Thread: Chapter 1: The Maiden and The Demon Cat  (Read 1872 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

Madoka appears shortly behind Kei, characteristically talkative as usual.

". . . ."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Eclogia

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Play Alchemy Stars!
    • View Profile

Kazuko was holding her breath. What would the man's answer be?
"Alana Eclogia" may not be my real name, but it may as well be so.

LyfeldLesk

• Bay Watcher
  • Wandering Mercenary
    • View Profile

The whispers were thin, veiled. Roland kneeled in front of the staff, attempting to focus.

A woman's voice called, words indiscernible. Loud, but not cheerful. Light at times, but heavy. The voice of sorrow. Strangers speak formally around the woman. The words get garbled beyond recognition and fade into the deafening silence. Then the voices, as if sucked in from his surroundings, echo around, as if bouncing into invisible, intangible walls inside his mind.

"One head... missin' now."

"Two before fall not showing."

"Sad...for all."

"Never familiar... guy... give out. Firstborn... help in trip from Pharmacy.

"Happy... reality."

And then the surroundings, the caravans - the noises of the Mizuno Pharmacy returned.

"..."

Roland stood up, seemingly finished with his fortune telling. "I must apologize in advance, Apothecary. It comes to be that I bring ill omens to your request.."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 09:18:43 am by LyfeldLesk »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

"There's two of them now, aren't there."
"Mhm!"
"You're not allowed to give them headpats, Rin."
"I haven't even asked them yet!"
"You haven't even seen one of their faces yet!"

Todoroki blinks.
"Hm. Well?"
He looks over at Kazuko.
"He tellin' the truth?"

LyfeldLesk

• Bay Watcher
  • Wandering Mercenary
    • View Profile

"All I can discern from the fortunes is that your friend is meant to conceive upon the fall of the leaves. Roland solemnly speaks, reaching for the cane as he closes his cloak.

"I fear that, however, will be a daunting task. They could both be lost."

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Through the conversation, Amsel had been in his own little world, staring at the tied-up box. "Someone... locked in there", what's what Mizuno had said? Some sort of being trapped and in need of purification...

"...perhaps it's a piece of a Mahoraga, or some other Yurei, something powerful enough that it needs to be taken to the capital to be disposed of. Perhaps a particularly powerful onryo or shiryo, or some ancient slumbering menace tied back to the gods of curses. I only hope they'll let us see what it is when we deliver it.

When he became aware of the world around him again, he noticed that someone new had arrived.

"Oh, hello! And you are...?
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lightbringer28

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Part-time gamer, full-time idiot
    • View Profile

Shinji moved over to where Amsel was standing, looking at the tied box.

"Hm, I wonder what could possibly be in there?"

Shinji heard the man call to him.

"I'm Kurokawa Shinji, although just 'Shinji' is fine. I'm one of the bodyguards for this mission. You said your name was Amsel? That's... Avropan, I think?"

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

"Well... technically, yes but... well that's a bit like if I asked you 'Kurokawa, that's from Jin, Horai, and/or Sunda, yes?' Avropa has... rather a lot of different countries. I'm Franconian, specifically."
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Lightbringer28

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Part-time gamer, full-time idiot
    • View Profile

"Ah, Franconian. Sorry 'bout that. I don't really know much about the place, and I've never been."

Shinji decided to change the subject back to the mysterious box.

"Anyway,  I can tell whatever's in that box is likely either super important, highly dangerous, or both. I'm almost tempted to get closer, but that'd be pretty unprofessional. My dad's the real expert on these things, but he's all the way back in Seito. I wonder if he could figure out what's in there...."

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

"It is fine. I only really know as much about Horai as I do because my father did his best to become an expert. As for the box... well, I am certainly curious, but I think it is probably for the best we do not attempt to disturb it. Even if it is not dangerous, it is still something important enough to be transported to the capital with a cadre of bodyguards."

But besides that... you said your father is something of an expert on matters relating to 'impure' materials? I am actually rather curious about such things, both my readings and discussions with classmates and professors hardly turn up more than 'stay away from it'. Would you mind telling me some of what you know? After all, it seems we'll be spending quite a good deal of time together for the near future."

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile

"You've seen Kei's face"

The rat misaki takes a final bite of her food, clapping the remaining crumbs off her hands without changing her expression,

"Give Kei food and Kei will allow you to headpat her."
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Eclogia

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Play Alchemy Stars!
    • View Profile

Kazuko sighed. So misfortune was indeed upon her friend.
I had hoped my vision was wrong...
She inhaled sharply.
Thank you for your reply. As far as I'm concerned, you got it correctly enough. Yao's baby is planned for October, but there could be an issue.
As I said earlier, I am interested in fortune-telling, though I am still trying to harness my own talent in this domain. In the early morning, my senses were attuned to events that didn't belong in my time and place. That's when I saw my friend having a miscarriage.
Perhaps a bit unnaturally, the horned apothecary cheered up in a beat.
But now that you're corroborating my vision, I should act on it. After all, what is a bad fortune but an invitation to turn it around?
Now if you'll excuse me, I have an urgent letter to write. I'll be glad to see you later to chat more, if mister guard allows it.
And without even waiting for a reply, the apothecary hurriedly left the two men.
"Alana Eclogia" may not be my real name, but it may as well be so.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon

". . . Are you mocking me?"
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

LyfeldLesk

• Bay Watcher
  • Wandering Mercenary
    • View Profile

"..."A vision." Roland spoke, as he watches the apothecary leave. "So she has the eyes of the Ten Divines?"

"Mountain, things considered, it seems I have proven my status as a trustworthy fortune teller, if in an unfortunate manner. Once I have delivered my parcel, I see the thought of accompanying your troupe favorable."

Giving a slight bow, Roland takes one step back. "It has been my pleasure."

And with this words, he leaves towards the Mizuno Pharmacy.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile

"Eh? No! I wouldn't! Uhh..."
"Excuse Rin. She is what the professional field would call "air-headed."
"Wuh...okay."
Rin sighs.
"Well, at least if you're hungry, Kei, I could give you some of these pork buns I made for the trip."
Rin produces what does in fact appear to be a straw basket of pork buns.

Then they overhear Shinji and Amsel talking about the box. Lan takes her time to interject.
"If you two want to muck around with that thing, be careful. I'm not exactly an expert on Horai's magic, but-"
"It's the wrong way around."
"What?"
"The ropes. You put them around something to protect them. They're sacred to the Gods of the Land, so they're usually used to protect something, like how you see them around temples to keep out evil spirits. If you wanted to keep something in, you'd use talismans, aimed inward. The ropes would be inside the box if you wanted us to be protected from what was inside it."
Lan turns back to Kei and Madoka.
"...don't be too shocked. She might be an airhead, but something like this, she's actually quite good at."
Rin pauses briefly to approach the box, tilting her head.
"What are you hiding, Mister Box?"
The box doesn't respond.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5