Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Cooking and Brewing Diversity: the Food and Drink Megathread  (Read 33893 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cooking and Brewing Diversity: the Food and Drink Megathread
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2011, 11:53:48 pm »

The bit of whiskey that evaporates is called the "angels share". It actually makes the whiskey less alcoholic as well I believe, as more alcohol than water evaporates.

The traditional difference between beer and ale was that ale didn't contain hops, instead it used other bitter herbs.

Distilled alcohol doesn't make gin, gin is grain alcohol which is redistilled with juniper berries and other herbs to give it flavour.

You might want to add some stuff about salt pits and making sea salt to the list. Sea salt varies in quality however, in medieval times, cheap salt was often green or black in colour due to impurities. You might want to add seaweed into the list of new ingredients as well.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

frodo0800

• Bay Watcher
  • Son of Ilúvatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2011, 06:04:22 am »

you should include on the first post the idea of large stationary barrels,even if booze is still an item.
and dwarfs could keep meat and organs fresh by adding salt to them,this way they can have Jerky or charqui

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2011, 04:26:08 pm »

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, so what about tea or coffee as an alternative to alcohol for making water more palateable and safer to drink? Hot drinks could also provide a small happy thought in cold weather, and slow the onset of hypothermia for dwarves working outside for long periods.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »

A hypothermia mechanic would have to be added. But I think that adding hot drinks would be a good addition, but dwarves don't seem to have much interest in drink non-alcoholic beverages, I guess it could be a supplement, or they might just all drink Irish Coffee!

Oh, and we have honey now, so that can be crossed off, so can oil and milk.

On aging: storing things in metal barrels doesn't lower quality, a lot of booze these days is made and stored in vats these days (think kegs). Also, maybe it could be made so that different woods impart a different flavour on the contents, it also depends on what's been stored in the barrel before. Aging also depends on where you store it, most things age better in cool places.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:02 am »

Drying's been mentioned but it's not in the OP (except candied fruits and smoked meats are a kind of drying). I mention it again because it's one of the oldest forms of preservation. You can dry lots of different types of food: fruit (often comes with a name change), mushrooms, meat, fish, and likely others. You can even sundry foods.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

A hypothermia mechanic would have to be added. But I think that adding hot drinks would be a good addition, but dwarves don't seem to have much interest in drink non-alcoholic beverages, I guess it could be a supplement, or they might just all drink Irish Coffee!
Everyone preferred beer or wine to water in those days, as it was less likely to make you shit uncontrollably until you died of dehydration, but even back then it was known that excessive alcohol consumption wasn't a brilliant idea either. Beer and wine are also rather time-consumping and complicated to make compared to coffee or tea, which require only boiling water and preferably some way of filtering the leaves or grounds out of whatever you're serving the beverage in. Lastly, there are plans to expand religious affiliations to include forbidding certain foodstuffs; it's not unlikely that alcoholic beverages will be included in that.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2011, 04:48:19 am »

Since fermentation is mentioned in the first post, one of those little things that bug me is that we have Dwarven Ale and Dwarven Beer.  Dwarven Beer bugs me, because ale is a beer.  "Dwarven Lager" would have probably been a better choice.  Most beers fall into one of these two major categories, ales and lagers.

A greatly oversimplified view of these categories is that lagers are typically fermented in colder temperatures and ales in warmer temperatures.  So, if fermentation is to be added I'd like to see where the fermentation is done be a part of the style of beer.  When the fermentation is done underground away from magma, for example, it might end up a lager.  When the fermentation is done underground on a magma-heated floor, it might end up an ale.

Again, this is very much a simplified view of the differences between ales and lagers.  You could get into different strains of yeast or how those strains are sourced, for example, and how they affect the outcome.  This might be a nice middle ground, though, for slightly more realism without unabashed beer-geekery.

The two types of beer common before lager were Ale and Bitter. Bitter tended to have more gruit (bitter herbs or bark) than ale. Ale also tends to be stronger than bitter. Nowadays there are many categories of beer and it might be fun to give dwarfs some of these. There is lager, which is made with a bottom-fermenting strain of yeast. I don't know where you're coming from with the temperature of fermentation but lager is traditionally stored in cool cellars after primary fermentation. Ale and Bitter are certainly more common in Britain than in Spain or Italy for example.

There is stout which is made with a darker roasted malt than other beers, traditionally in areas without enough acidity in the water supply (roasting malt increases acidity). Porter is a type of stout, and Baltic porter is a lager made with the same dark roast. I'm not sure how mild is made but it is quite different to the others. Wheat beer and white beer are made with wheat, millet beer with millet (mainly in africa). A lot of modern lagers have malted or unmalted rice mixed with the barley, which makes quite a different drink though still called lager. Trappist ales are very different from the English styles as they tend to be stronger and quite syrupy. The less said about fruit beers and Christmas ale the better.

I'm pretty sure whiskey is post 1400

Whiskey is older. The first direct mention of whiskey (as aqua vitae...) is from 1405...

It may be nitpicking but aqua vitae is really nothing like whisky. The word whisky was used for various moonshines in Ireland and Scotland before being applied to the modern drink but that doesn't make it the same thing. What we now call whisky is matured in wooden barrels, by most definitions for at least 4 years. These barrels have usually been used to store other drinks first. America probably has as much claim to modern whisky as Ireland or Scotland as it was colonialism that made a lot of second hand barrels available.

P.S. I think Aqua Vitae was invented by the Persians or Arabs. Also I have no objection to post 1400 beverages being in the game myself. These are dwarves after all.

Distilled alcohol doesn't make gin, gin is grain alcohol which is redistilled with juniper berries and other herbs to give it flavour.

Traditional gin is just made with juniper berries, usually macerated in the alcohol. Spiced gin is a different, more recent, drink. Passing distillation vapours over flavourings in the still is even more recent I believe. Sloe gin was traditionally made with blackthorn fruit instead of juniper, though most people today make it with spiced gin (a real shame, but their loss). And yes, grain alcohol was usually called gin too. It was sometimes referred to as planters gin.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2011, 01:13:05 pm »

I would just like to suggest that a new building be created that is the PANTRY! A small, maybe even 3X3 area building that holds lots of food. Much more space economical than throwing your food on the floor.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »

How about we just build shelves that can hold 5 Barrels/5 Bins each. Build them in your stockpile and stack them up!

Fidna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2011, 04:09:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure whiskey is post 1400

Whiskey is older. The first direct mention of whiskey (as aqua vitae...) is from 1405...

It may be nitpicking but aqua vitae is really nothing like whisky. The word whisky was used for various moonshines in Ireland and Scotland before being applied to the modern drink but that doesn't make it the same thing. What we now call whisky is matured in wooden barrels, by most definitions for at least 4 years. These barrels have usually been used to store other drinks first. America probably has as much claim to modern whisky as Ireland or Scotland as it was colonialism that made a lot of second hand barrels available.

P.S. I think Aqua Vitae was invented by the Persians or Arabs. Also I have no objection to post 1400 beverages being in the game myself. These are dwarves after all.

Aqua vitae in texts in Ireland and Scotland refers directly to whiskey. It is an entirely diferent beverage than what you're thinking of; it was actually a catch-all term in a lot of languages for any distilled alcohol.

However, the name whiskey comes from 'uisce beatha' or 'uisge beatha', which is just the Middle Gaelic rendering of 'aqua vitae', and still means 'water of life'. Whiskey's ultimate meaning is simply 'water', since it was just anglicizing 'uisce'. Completely different beverage than other aqua vitaes; eaux de vie, for example, French fruit brandy. Since almost everything was being written in Latin though, they translated phrases like that in official texts to the Latin 'aqua vitae', since it all meant 'water of life'. It was just any distilled alcohol at all, regardless of what the beverage was made of, tasted like, etc.

We know what the Irish and Scots had for their aqua vitae because they told us. It was essentially distilled barley beer. With the inability to produce the large amounts of wine needed for communion in church, and as a medicinal tincture, monks began distilling the excess malted barley beer they made in big copper stills. That's whiskey. Primitive whiskey, but whiskey. It wasn't aged, it was obscenely strong, tasted poor, but it was whiskey. Plus copper stills from before written record of its existence clearly show the residues of the distilling of the barley drink used to make the first whiskeys, which precede 1400 by a couple centuries (like one found at Cong). It's definitely within time frame, it's just whiskey within the time frame would be incredibly potent (in fact, it was apparently dangerous, given the first written reference is a guy dying from drinking too much) and not really fit for most people to consume unless they're extremely hardy individuals. ...So, dwarves.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »

{IGNORE}
nothing to do with cooking or brewing

mushrooms should need some kind of organic matter to grow,not only soil,aomething like a log or paper.

{IGNORE}
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 02:25:08 pm by peskyninja »
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2011, 07:47:38 pm »

What if we have an option to 'Butcher in Parts' instead of 'Butcher for Meat'. What will happen is that the meat you usually get is reduced somewhat, to be parts called 'Chicken Drumsticks' 'Pork Ribs' or maybe 'Turkey Wings'. There will also be no bones or skulls. The good part is that these parts, when cooked, will have their own quality depending on the butcher added to the quality by the cook, so Masterwork<Masterwork Beef Ribs>Roast is possible. Also, without cooking Beef Thighs will satisfy both a lover of Cow meat as well as someone hankering specifically after Beef Thighs. (there should be a mechanism that limits the perferability of certain body parts)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2011, 12:15:04 am »

We should change the system so that we just don't get bones or meat. Instead we get body parts, like chicken wings in your example, as well as all the other bits. Then when they get cooked, we get bones.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »

Yeah, but cooked bones aren't exactly the best for crafting...Not that I know of that short of stuff. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]