Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your favorite 4x Space/Sim?  (Read 9049 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite 4x Space/Sim?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »

Aurora. No question there.

Starsector (Starfarer was a better name!) is awesome and will be even more so when released.

Hm. SoaSE is fun. GalCiv2 is decent but can get boring. Endless Space, IMO, was pretty rubbish. They had a few good ideas, a bad UI, terrible combat (with a mangled good idea at the core), etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 03:33:32 pm »

Sword of the Stars 1 is my fav 4x Space game
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »

Tbh I prefer MOO over MOO2, Moo2 you have to tailor the settings to how you want to play, obviously you can give yourself challenges but if you have a huge galaxy and start pre-warp tech then if Psilons are there and you aren't playing them they will win.

Master of Magic is better then MOO2 for me and has more city building aspects if that is what you like.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 04:01:49 pm »

Distant Worlds
Aurora

These 2, I have on and off relations with them over the years.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »

Aurora

I'm gonna quote someone on a french forum :

Aurora is like making love to your girlfriend, but you stop at the foreplay.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »

Aurora, but it still needs quite a bit of development, and I always run into errors before I can do much.
Recently I downloaded and played a demo of Flotilla after watching a Let's Play.  That game is glorious.  The music is all calm and serene and fit's perfectly to the slow place of the game.  It's a combination of both turn based and real time.  You have your fleet of ships on one side and the enemy theirs on another.  Each ship is like a tank, with strong armor on one side, and weak on another.  On each turn, you must decide what kind of movement you want (Flank speed, focus fire, and something else) which gives you different combinations of accuracy and speed.  You then decide how you want to move on a horizontal axis, how to move on a vertical axis, your orientation (Very important), and then the priority target.  You do this for each ship, and then you end your turn.  Both fleets then move in real time, playing out pre-planned maneuvers with no deviations.  A major part is guessing what the enemy will do, as you can't change maneuvers real time.  Very, very interesting combat. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:16 pm »

Aurora

Not quite. If we're making that metaphor, then Aurora is like making love with foreplay that lasts for five hours, requires a degree in theoretical physics, and is best when done suspended from a railroad bridge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »

Aurora

Not quite. If we're making that metaphor, then Aurora is like making love with foreplay that lasts for five hours, requires a degree in theoretical physics, and is best when done suspended from a railroad bridge.
And just like Aurora, that sounds AWESOME.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 09:13:40 pm »

I'm sure Auroa is awesome but I think I am going give it a pass. It was hard enough learning DF, not sure there is any more room in my brain.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:46 pm »

aurora and some of the fans are working on a open source game along the same lines pulsar 4x http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,169.0.html

also free mars and mars simulator project ( both on sourceforge as open source projects)
distant worlds, space empires V ( where VI is no idea) the guy that does it stopped development after 5.

Theres others as well

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:57 pm »

oh another one pioneer space sim another open source game that started off inspired by elite 3 but has gone into something much better

http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/forum/23-pioneer/

the download is in there somewhere they used to do monthly realises but theres so much work on it now they do nightly builds its doing quite well a bit light on missions and trade, but they have developed a factions system, procedural planets and its quite popular moving ahead quicker in fanbase and development than say vegatrek

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 01:03:08 am »

Stars!, Master of Orion1 and Master of Orion 2 are my favorites, while old they are very replayable.
Of all those 3 space 4x, MoO1 is the one i still replay the most nowadays.

MoO1 has an unofficial patch there by the same guy that made the Master of Magic unofficial patch, so basically must have
MoO2 has one here

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 01:45:48 am »

Definitely SotS 1. SotS 2 didn't click for me at all, it felt so much more micromanagey in the wrong ways somehow and just altogether less fun. Before SotS 1 it was Gal Civ 2, though playing it again a couple months ago I don't remember why.
MoO2 is good, but I didn't really get into it. I've never been a big 4x fan as I don't like the management as much as I do in grand strategy.
If the thread title means 4x Space/ Space sim, then in terms of space sims definitely Freelancer.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 10:54:41 am »

But stay far from Space Empires V.
Honestly, i LIKED SEV. Despite the fact the game had it's issues...and it had a few issues, I'm not going to sugar coat it...It felt like a good and logical next step after SEIV. The issue was...well...issues. Lots of them.

It also doesn't hurt my perception that I never played the series till V, and got IV for free when I bought it I suppose.

Giving actual reviews, StarDrive has earned my attention recently. Bits are still unfinished..for example, finding and killing what I suppose is their version of the HFS gives you god damn nothing at the moment, which is somewhat sad, but it feels like a solid game that's slowly being added too. A few balance changes and it's all good.

Endless Space is quite a nice game as well. Combat is odd, but I've never seen such a system before and I quite like it. Makes you really feel like you're the emperor just receiving a report what happened rather then manually controlling EVERY little thing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:58:46 am by KaziArmada »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 11:01:21 am »

MoO3.

No, seriously.

But only when modded to fuck and back - when made to work as intended it is a thing of beauty. The game as released is a total broken mess.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2] 3